Monday, October 16, 2017

Review - Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush @Jenn_Rush @TheNovl #DevilsandThieves

Devils & Thieves by Jennifer Rush
Series: Devils & Thieves #1
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 3, 2017
Date Read: October 15, 2017
Length: 336 pages
Source: Publisher - The Novl
★★★★☆
Eighteen-year-old Jemmie Carmichael has grown up surrounded by magic in the quiet town of Hawthorne, New York. In her world, magic users are called "kindled," and Jemmie would count herself among them if only she could cast a simple spell without completely falling apart. It doesn't help that she was also recently snubbed by Crowe, the dangerous and enigmatic leader of the Black Devils kindled motorcycle gang and the unofficial head of their turf.

When the entire kindled community rolls into Hawthorne for an annual festival, a rumor begins spreading that someone is practicing forbidden magic. Then people start to go missing. With threats closing in from every side, no one can be trusted. Jemmie and Crowe will have to put aside their tumultuous history to find their loved ones, and the only thing that might save them is the very flaw that keeps Jemmie from fully harnessing her magic. For all her years of feeling useless, Jemmie may just be the most powerful kindled of all.

My Review

This was an entertaining read!  As soon as I read the description for this book, I knew that it was one that I would have to read.  Motorcycle gangs and magic...yes, please!  It took me a while to read this book but that had everything to do with my personal life and nothing to do with the book.  One I really had the chance to sit down with the book, I ended up reading the final 2/3 of the story in a single day and really enjoyed the experience.

Jemmie lives in a world filled with magic.  It can be hard for her sometimes because she does not want to use her magic and being around magic makes her feel ill at times.  She has never really worked to hard at learning to control and use her own magic and has instead focused on self-medicating to cope with being around magic.

Jemmie has ties to the Black Devils group through her best friend, Alex, and her brother, Crowe.  A gathering of the different groups has tensions at a high.  Things get even more intense when several people go missing and nobody knows who to trust.  Jemmie finds herself at the center of the mystery and is determined to help Crowe find out what is happening before it is too late.

There is a bit of a love triangle in this book.   Jemmie and Crowe seem to belong together from the very start of the story even though they don't seem to realize it.  There is another guy that seems to want a chance with Jemmie but I never really felt like he was a serious contender.  Jemmie and Crowe do seem to have a lot of chemistry and I can't wait to see more of them together.

I would recommend this book to others.  I thought that the world was rather interesting and the mystery was pretty exciting.  I wouldn't say that this book ends in a cliffhanger but it did leave me pretty eager for the next book so that I can see what happens next.  I definitely plan to read more from Jennifer Rush soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via TheNovl.com.
About the Author

Jennifer Rush is the author of Devils & Thieves and the Altered Saga. She currently lives in Michigan with her family, where the winters make her grumpy and the summers make her forget the winters. When not writing, she can be found curled up with a good book or out wandering, either by foot or by car. She dreams of seeing the world someday (as long as it's not winter).

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes I'm intrigued now too because it's an interesting mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I bought this one. I love the name Jemmie as well. If I were to have a kid now, that would be her name. My Dad's nickname was Jimmy and for some reason, this female version really strikes a cord. So glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the name Jemmie a lot. It is unique without sounding strange. Not so sure about Crowe though :)

      Delete
  3. The story sounds exciting. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not big on MC books, but magic yes...you have me curious and it is YA, so very different from adult MC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought that this was more of a YA paranormal story than anything. Very different than an adult MC book.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad to see you enjoyed this one. I am really hoping to read it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really interesting story. I hope you like it!

      Delete
  6. Oh that does sound good. I don't recall seeing her book before. Will have to check that out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really well done. I am looking forward to more books in the series.

      Delete
  7. This one definitely sounds like an urban magic kind of novel, and I really like that cover. It sounded perfect for you and I am quite interested myself now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...