Friday, August 18, 2017

Review - Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle @moirawithatrema

Spellbook of the Lost and Found by Moïra Fowley-Doyle
Publisher: Kathy Dawson Books
Publication Date: August 8, 2017
Date Read: August 12, 2017
Length:  368 pages
Source: First to Read
★★★★☆
If you’re not careful, you can spend your whole life looking for what you’ve lost.

One stormy summer in a small Irish town, things begin to disappear. It starts with trivial stuff—hair clips, house keys, socks—but soon it escalates to bigger things: a memory, a heart, a classmate.

Olive can tell that her best friend, Rose, is different all of a sudden. Rose isn’t talking, and Olive starts to worry she’s losing her. Then diary pages written by someone named Laurel begin to appear all over town. And Olive meets three mysterious strangers: Ivy, Hazel, and her twin brother, Rowan, secretly squatting in an abandoned housing development. The trio are wild and alluring, but they seem lost too—and like Rose, they’re holding tightly to painful secrets.

When a tattered handwritten spellbook falls into the lives of these six teenagers, it changes everything. The spellbook is full of charms to conjure back that which has been lost, and it lists a part for each of them to play in the calling. It might be their best chance to set everything back to rights, but only if they’re willing to pay the price.

My Review

I really liked this story.  I read most of the book in a single day and captivated by it.   I decided to read this book because I was intrigued by the blurb and I am really glad that I did.  This was one of those books that made me want to keep reading "just one more chapter" until I had reached the end.

This book is told from multiple points of view and it works very well for this story.  Every point of view in this book really added something to the add to the overall story.  I really liked each of the points of view equally which was a big plus for this book.  I feel like Olive's point of view was the dominant one in the book that really pushed the story forward.  Laurel and Hazel's points of view were equally important and usually gave me something to think about.

I enjoyed the way the book was laid out.  Some things were lost and some things were found.  How did all of this happen and what does it really mean?  How do you get back the things you have lost that are important to you?  I found myself really thinking about these questions as the characters made their way through this story.  I wasn't sure how things would end up connecting and ran into a few surprises during the story.

I liked the writing.  This was my first experience reading Moïra Fowley-Doyle's work and I am quite impressed.  She was able to create a large cast of characters in this book that really came to life.  There was just enough unknown to keep me guessing throughout the story.  The descriptions were vibrant and I could really visualize what was happening at any given point.

I would recommend this book to others.  I think it is a unique story filled with an interesting group of characters.  I plan to read more from this talented author in the future.

I received an advanced reader edition of this book from Kathy Dawson Books via First to Read.
About the Author

Moïra Fowley-Doyle is half French, half Irish, and lives in Dublin with her husband, their young daughters, and their old cat. Moïra’s French half likes red wine and dark books in which everybody dies. Her Irish half likes tea and happy endings. Moïra started a PhD on vampires in young adult fiction before concentrating on writing young adult fiction with no vampires in it whatsoever. Moïra’s debut novel, The Accident Season, was published to high praise in August 2015.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter

28 comments:

  1. Oooo, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! You should definitely try The Accident Season - I loved it, as mystifying as it was. I haven't gotten the chance to read this book but I definitely plan on doing so. Wonderful review, Carole!

    Have a lovely weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read The Accident Season since I have seen a lot of people enjoying it. This was a great story, Alyssa!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful cover and blurb! I had put this on my GR wishlist to look for after seeing it mentioned on your blog before that you received it. I certainly would enjoy it too, so thanks! Fantasy or magical realism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magical realism...I guess I should have said that in my review. Sorry about that. It really was a great story and the cover is gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. Glad you liked it because it's up next on my stack of three. I do love the cover. Maybe First to Read won't disappoint me this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a quick read. I hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  4. I saw this one on Goodreads a few months back and the cover caught my eye. It seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews from my blogger friends so far so I may have to check it out. Great review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good read, Julie! I agree with you that the cover is really great.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful read. Thank you for sharing a review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this!! I really loved it and how it all came together. You should check out The Accident Season from her. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need to get my hands on The Accident Season!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, I am intrigued! That cover is stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would read this one, love those that you can not stop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree ~ I love a book that it hard to put down!

      Delete
  9. I have been wondering about this book and so am glad to see you read and reviewed it, Carole. I love books dealing with magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good book. I loved that there were some surprises along the way.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you enjoyed this one. I was curious about it when you mentioned that you had it on your shelf. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good read, Nadene! Glad that I had the chance to read a review copy.

      Delete
  11. I always like it when a book really makes me think - that's usually a good sign it's got me hooked! And I like the mysteriousness of the blurb, really makes me wonder what's happening here! Glad it was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great when a book really gets you thinking of different scenerios? Hard to put this one down.

      Delete
  12. I adore Fowley-Doyle's writing and will read all she writes. She is so good at creating mood and her prose is lovely as well. I am glad you liked this book, because I loved it! And I agree, the story definitely left me thinking about this concept of lost and found things, both tangible and intangible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time reading this author but I do hope to read more of her work since I enjoyed this one so much.

      Delete
  13. I love this author and listened to this last week. My review will be in early April, but like you I liked how the tale unfolded and appreciated it more once it ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you enjoyed this one as well. I look forward to reading your review!

      Delete
  14. I actually have to say this one looks super intriguing to me. I have seen the cover around and that's just all I know about it. But reading the synopsis makes it sound like a really cool and unique idea. I would love to read this one myelf too. I am glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like this one, Olivia-Savannah!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...