Thursday, August 17, 2017

Audiobook Review - Worth the Fall by Claudia Connor @Claudia__Connor @TantorAudio

Worth the Fall by Claudia Conner
Narrated by Johanna Parker
Series: The McKinney Brothers #1
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Publication Date: January 6, 2015
Date Read: August 8, 2017
Length: 9 hours 40 minutes
Source: Library via Hoopla

They meet on a beach. . . . Abby Davis isn’t wearing a skimpy bikini or sipping umbrella drinks, not when she’s busy chasing around four little ones. And Matt McKinney isn’t looking for fun—he’s a Navy SEAL, a grown man with a long list of missions . . . and fallen brothers.

They only have a week. . . . Abby has brought her children to this beach to start over, to give them the enjoyable memories they deserve. Matt’s been sidelined by a combat injury, and haunted by the best friend he lost and the promise he made: to remain a SEAL—focused and dedicated. This leaves no time for what he’s always wanted: a family.

But a week is all it takes. . . . Matt opens her heart while Abby soothes his soul. And though they plan to say good-bye when the week is over, something magical happens on that beach, something neither can forget. Something utterly, completely worth falling for.

My Review

I really enjoyed this book!  I read the other 2 books in this series when they were released and decided that it was finally time to go back and read the first book.  I am always looking for something a little different to read and this one definitely met that definition.  I honestly cannot remember the last time I read a romance where the heroine is pregnant with 4 kids.  This book not only worked, it worked well.  I was really hooked by Matt and Abby's story and wanted to listen to it for hours at a time.  I am so glad that I decided to pick this one up.

Abby has taken her 4 young children to the beach for a vacation.  Her husband recently died so it is just her and the kids.  Abby is pregnant with her 5th child so she wants to fit one more trip before it becomes harder with a new baby.  Matt is a Navy SEAL who is taking a much needed break at the beach.  When Abby's son asks Matt to play ball with him, he can't say no.  He finds himself wanting to spend more and more time with Abby and her family.

I loved the characters in this book.  I have to say that I don't tend to pick up a lot of books with kids playing a large role.  I like kids and even have had a couple myself but I don't always like to read about them.  These kids were amazing.  They were all really great characters that added something to the story.  Matt was such a great guy.  I loved how he was with both Abby and the kids.  It seemed so natural from the very beginning, like he was meant to be with them.  Abby was such a great mom and very independent.  I liked watching her learn to trust Matt and let him into her life.

Johanna Parker does a wonderful job with the narration in this book.  I have listened to her narration before and knew that I really liked her style.  She handled all of the different characters in this book so well.  She had realistic voices that she used for each character including the young children.  She was able to put a lot of emotion into the reading and her voice was very pleasant to listen to for hours at a time.

The only thing that didn't seem realistic about this story was how well behaved Abby's children were at all times.  As a mom, I kind of wanted to see one of these kids have the meltdown you know would happen at some point.  Anyone who has taken young children on vacation knows there is going to be tears, screaming, and most bodily fluids will most likely be involved.  Of course, the absence of these things may be the reason that I liked these kids as much as I did.

I would recommend this audiobook to others.  It was a really fun and romantic story that was really a joy to listen to.  I plan to read more of Claudia Connor's work in the future.

About the Author

New York Times bestselling author Claudia Connor attended Auburn University, where she received her undergraduate and masters degrees in early childhood education, and completed her studies in Sawbridgeworth, England. Always a lover of happy endings, she enjoys movies, reading, and spending her days putting on paper the stories in her head. She lives near Memphis, Tennessee, with her husband and three daughters.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

26 comments:

  1. Wow. Five kids with one on the way. I don't use like or read romance books with children involved. And five would be more than me to handle reading about! That is definitely unrealistic, for them to be well-behaved all of the time. But I'm glad you enjoyed the book overall!

    Wonderful review, Carole! Have a great day. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has 4 kids with one on the way. I liked the kids in this book and the story was great!

      Delete
  2. I always have a soft spot for books involving a MC's children so that really makes this one stick out to me. That's too bad about the children being slightly too perfect, though! I feel that would boggle my mind as well but I guess it is fiction lol Glad to hear you enjoyed your reread of this, Carole. I'll have to see if my library has it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly don't know that I would have enjoyed reading a scene about a toddler meltdown but as a mother, I know it would be happening. I really was a great romance.

      Delete
  3. snarky mom mode: did she drug her kids? Can I have some to try too? hahaha terrible me but yeah.. perfect children is like perfect men

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?!? I have good kids but when they were little we had a lot of meltdown moments. It really was a great listen though.

      Delete
  4. I love stories that feature children, but I have never read one where the MC has 4 plus one on the way. She has her hands full

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does and this story really does work well. If you like stories with children, you should think about trying this one.

      Delete
  5. This sound like such a fun book! And I really enjoy Johanna Parker as a narrator. I'll have to look for this one on Audible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna Parker does such a great job with this book. I loved all of her voices for the kids. I really enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  6. oh I remember reading this when it first came out and really enjoyed it. I agree that kids portrayed in books aren't always that realistic. Even the best behaved kids (my nephew included because he has a great mom), he still has tantrums every now and then hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great story. Small kids just have meltdowns...often. :)

      Delete
  7. This was my first book by the author and I fell in love with all the characters in this one and then the rest of the series. LOL, yes, the kids being too good on vacation is true. And neat that the narrator worked so well for the story. I've seen her name several times so need to give her work a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really great series and this one works well on audio. I just had that mom voice in my head reminding me of how children really act on vacation.

      Delete
  8. This sounds really good and Parker is a new to me narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Johanna Parker. I first listened to her with the Sookie Stackhouse series and try to look for her whenever possible.

      Delete
  9. It can go either way with kids in books like this. I don't think I've read a romance with the heroine already pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different but ended up being really good.

      Delete
  10. it's great to see that when you go back in the stories with the first novel you had a good time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been meaning to read this for a long time so it was nice to finally get to it.

      Delete
  11. A new to me author, but sounds promising to me. Certainly a different guy meets gal idea :) I would read this one.

    At the risk of sounding nit-picky, I think the guy on the cover is a hunk, but I avoid those shirtless men covers when I can. It gives off a vibe of being a lightweight plot, even if it's not. I guess like "bodice-ripper" covers that don't do their stories justice sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the cover. I mean the guy is definitely a hunk but it didn't make me pick up the book. I don't know that I would have if I hadn't read the author before.

      Delete
  12. This does sound really sweet and like a book I'd enjoy. The part about the meltdown had me laughing. Yeah a vacation with perfectly behaved kids (especially 4 of them) is just not going to happen. Someone is going to get sick or have a meltdown - and if it wasn't one of them it'd be me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone with kids knows how vacation really works:) This was a really great listen though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...