Monday, July 31, 2017

Review - The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones @em_llojo @TheNovl @LittleBrownYR

The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: August 8, 2017
Date Read: July 24, 2017
Length:  400 pages
Source: Publisher - The Novl
★★★★☆
A thrilling blend of sci-fi, paranormal horror, and romance-perfect for fans of Holly Black and Leigh Bardugo

When Dee Moreno makes a deal with a devil--her heart in exchange for an escape from a disastrous home life--she finds her trade may be more than she bargained for. And becoming "heartless" is only the beginning. What lies ahead is a nightmare far bigger, far more monstrous than anything she ever could have imagined.

With reality turned on its head, Dee has only a group of other deal-making teens to keep her grounded, including the charming but secretive James Lancer. And as something like love grows between them amidst an otherworldly ordeal, Dee begins to wonder: can she give James her heart when it's no longer hers to give?

The Hearts We Sold is a Faustian tale for the modern age that will steal your heart and break it, and leave you begging for more.
My Review

This was good.  Really good.  I went into this book with next to no expectations and am quite shocked by how much I ended up enjoying it.  I was hooked right away by the story and only put it down when I had absolutely no other choice.  There was enough action in the story to really keep my interest level high.  I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read this wonderful story.

I found the story to be really original.  Demons are present and can grant wishes for anyone willing to make a trade.  Most demons require body parts like an arm or a leg in exchange for a wish.  Dee ends up making a deal with a demon that asks for something a little different: her heart.  He holds her heart for two years while she works for him in exchange for what she needs.  Sounds like a reasonable trade doesn't it?  Okay, maybe not.

Dee must work with a group of teens that have made a similar bargain with the demon.  Their task is risky but they work together really well and make quite the team.  I really liked all of the characters in this book.  Each member of the group had a really interesting backstory that really helped to bring them to life.  Dee's life at home is anything but ideal and she has always had to be the responsible one and take care of herself.

This book isn't a romance but there is some romance to the story.  The romance doesn't overpower the story but is a really nice added element.  Dee and James connect with each other right away.  They really did seem to understand each other and were there when the other needed them to be.  I liked how open with each other they were and thought that their relationship felt very genuine.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This was a story that really grabbed me from the start and entertained me to the very end.  This is the first book by Emily Lloyd-Jones that I have had a chance to read and I will be looking for her work again in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers via TheNovl.com.
About the Author

Emily Lloyd-Jones grew up on a vineyard in rural Oregon, where she played in evergreen forests and learned to fear sheep. After graduating from Western Oregon University with an English degree, she enrolled in the publishing program at Rosemont College just outside of Philadelphia. She currently resides in Northern California, working in a bookstore by day and writing by night.

Author Links: Website | GoodreadsTwitter

22 comments:

  1. you had me at demons, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on this one. It sounds right up my alley! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this one once you get the chance to read it, Barb!

      Delete
  3. I've been really curious about this one since I saw the cover on Goodreads a few months ago. I'm so glad that you ended up enjoying it. I may have to add this one to my TBR list after all. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, Julie! I hope you get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. I just love those books that grab you instantly....I definitely will be looking into this author and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a hard time putting this one down. It was such a good read.

      Delete
  5. I really want to read this one. Though, I may wait until It's closer to Halloween. LOL! I can only handle so much paranormal horror per year. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a great Halloween read, Lekeisha!

      Delete
  6. Her heart...I mean I get the idea of that, but you give your heart you die. Not just that she is heartless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your heart is rather important isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Ergs. Not something I'd want to give up. lol Sounds like an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed....I think I will keep my heart as well :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. There were some pretty intense scenes.

      Delete
  9. Glad you mentioned that there is romance. I always need a little romance in my story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee and James were such a great pair. The romance was very balanced with the other parts of the story.

      Delete
  10. This sounds really interesting and definitely like nothing I've ever read! I definitely need to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an original premise and well done. I hope you get the chance to read this one.

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of this book before, but the cover of it is interesting and totally caught my eye. And the plot sounds really intriguing to me. I am glad you could love it, especially as you had no expectations to start with. Now I want to read it too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it! It was a really interesting story that kept me turning pages.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...