Monday, June 19, 2017

Review - The Bookshop at Water's End by Patti Callahan Henry @pcalhenry @BerkleyPub

The Bookshop at Water's End by Patti Callahan Henry
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Publication Date: July 11, 2017
Date Read: June 16, 2017
Length:  352 pages
Source: First to Read
★★★★☆
A powerful new novel by the New York Times bestselling author of such acclaimed Southern women’s fiction as The Idea of Love, Driftwood Summer, and The Art of Keeping Secrets.

Bonny Blankenship’s most treasured memories are of idyllic summers spent in Watersend, South Carolina, with her best friend Lainey McKay. Amid the sand dunes and oak trees draped with Spanish moss, they swam and wished for happy-ever-afters, then escaped to the local bookshop to read and whisper in the glorious cool silence. Until the night that changed everything, the night that Lainey’s mother disappeared.

Now, in her early fifties, Bonny is desperate to clear her head after a tragic mistake threatens her career as an emergency room doctor, and her marriage crumbles around her. With her troubled teenage daughter, Piper, in tow, she goes back to the beloved river house, where she is soon joined by Lainey and her two young children. During lazy summer days and magical nights, they reunite with bookshop owner Mimi, who is tangled with the past and its mysteries. As the three women cling to a fragile peace, buried secrets and long ago loves return like the tide.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32766483-the-bookshop-at-water-s-end
My Review

I really enjoyed this book.  I was really pulled in by the writing and ended up loving the characters.  The story was a little bit different than I had thought it would be based on the title but it ended up being a good surprise.  Once I started reading this book, I found myself picking up this book every free moment I had until I reached the last page.  I am really glad that I decided to give this book a try.

Bonny and Lainey called themselves the Summer Sisters when they were children.  Their families would spend the summer together at a little house on the water in Watersend every year.  They both looked forward to those summers and became lifelong friends even after a tragedy ended their summers together.   When Bonny hits a difficult time in her life, Lainey suggests that she spend some time at the summer house and they end up returning together.

This story is told from three points of view.  Bonny is an emergency room doctor that is forced into taking a leave of absence.  She is in the process of leaving her husband and all of her plans seem to be going wrong.  Piper is Bonny's 19 year old daughter who seems to be having a difficult time.  Her first year of college has not went well and she feels somewhat trapped at the house with her mom.  Lainey is an artist that is happily married with two young children.  I really liked each of the three voices and thought all of their stories were unique and well developed.

I think that thing that really made this book hard to put down was the quality of the writing.  The book had such a nice flow and I always wanted to read just a bit more.  I thought that the story had a very realistic quality to it.  I feel like all of the events in this story could happen anywhere.  I really enjoyed the way that the past and present came together for Bonny and Lainey.  There were a few scenes that were really filled with emotion and I felt myself really empathizing with these characters.

I would recommend this book to others.  I enjoyed this story of three women really discovering who they are and what they want out of life.  This was the first book by Patti Callahan Henry that I have read but I would love to read more of her work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via First to Read.
About the Author

Patti Callahan Henry is a New York Times bestselling author whose novels include The Idea of Love, The Stories We Tell, And Then I Found You, Coming Up for Air, The Perfect Love Song, Driftwood Summer, The Art of Keeping Secrets, Between the Tides, When Light Breaks, Where the River Runs, and Losing the Moon.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

13 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one. Great review Carole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for good surprises! This sounds like a heartwarming read, glad to hear the voices and stories were all unique. Lovely review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great summer read. I like how you describe the mood of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful and neat that it's told by the three points of view and done well. I'd not heard of her so thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that cover. And I do want to read this story now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her books, can't wait to read this one! I have a book giveaway going on if you want to stop over. :)
    Joy@Books and Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must confess, this is the first I am hearing about this author. I am glad you had a great time with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a new author to me but this story sounds something I would enjoy. Thanks for putting this on my radar. Awesome review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This definitely sounds like a me kind of book. I will have to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love the premise of this story. There is something about multiple generations narrating a story that really speaks to me.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. aww so glad you gave this one a shot, reading your review I am kicking myself for passing up on it. I think I would love this, perfect for summer

    ReplyDelete
  12. Between the cover and the title I was pretty much on board with this one but I love your review of it! I love the sound of the different women and am definitely adding this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad to hear that this one had such quality writing with contributed to making it almost impossible to put down. I really like the sound of this one being about the characters especially, and that it was as addicting as it was even if you were expecting something else at first!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...