Friday, March 3, 2017

Review - Written in Red by Anne Bishop

Written in Red by Anne Bishop
Series: The Others #1
Berkley Publishing Group - Roc
Publication Date: March 5, 2013
Date Read: February 25, 2017
Source: Purchased

No one creates realms like New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop. Now in a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities—vampires and shape-shifters among them—who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans.

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I loved just about everything about this book!  I can't believe that I waited so long to finally start reading this series.  I bought this book 2 years ago but for some reason never actually started reading it.  I should have read it then but I am making up for lost time now.  Once I really started getting hooked on this book, I didn't want to stop.  This is one of those rare books that make me want to lose myself in the world within its pages.

Meg is pretty awesome.  Since I don't usually read book summaries before starting books, I had no idea what was going on with Meg.  I was as lost about who and what she was as Simon, Henry, Tess, and all the others at the courtyard.  I figured out pretty early on that she was smart, tough, and able to think on her feet.  She went about doing things in a completely unorthodox manner but she tended to get results.  There was an innocence about Meg that I liked and I also liked the fact that she was willing to take suggestions and input from others.

The world building was amazing.  I read the first part of the book at a pretty slow pace largely because I wanted to make sure that I was completely taking in this world that Meg is a part of.  The attitude and feelings between the humans and the Others was quite original.  As a human, I have never thought of myself as meat but I suppose it is all in how you look at a situation.  The Courtyard was a world on its own.  I liked the idea of shops open to both humans and the Others and it was interesting to witness some of the interactions.

The story had so much going for it.  Everything that happened with Sam really helped me see just how special Meg and Simon really were.  The Elementals and Vampires on this world were very original and powerful.  The pacing of the book was very well done and by the end of the story, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough.  The writing was at times detailed but I think everything added to the story.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  I am planning to binge read this entire series because I am so taken with this world and its characters.

About the Author

Photo: © Merri Lee Debany
New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop is a winner of the William L. Crawford Memorial Fantasy Award, presented by the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, for The Black Jewels Trilogy. She lives in upstate New York.

Author Links: Website | Facebook

12 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I just couldn't get into this book at all-not sure why-but I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's always fun to discover a new series that just excites you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just so love this series! All the books are awesome and now I'm curious about the spin off. I hope it will be the same for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this book, too! I really liked Written in Red, I'm not sure why I've been so terrible at keeping up with the series. But good news I think the series just gets better and better!
    Lovely review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accidentally bought a copy of this book on my kindle. (I was trying to get a sample.) I started reading it, but I couldn't get into it at the time. I'll try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good! I'm behind you on getting to this series and I've got the first two gathering dust. Sounds great. Love that it totally engulfed you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember hearing about this series but never picked it up. It sounds like something I would really enjoy but I was hearing mixed reviews so I held off. I almost forgot about it. Maybe I will give it another shot one day! So happy to hear that you are enjoying this series

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that you're reading books you bought years ago! That's definitely a bad habit of mine (and many others) - having so many unread bought books. :D It sounds like this one was worth the purchase! I remember seeing so many positive reviews for this book last year. I'd not even heard of the author until then. o_o So glad you loved the book! Wonderful review, Carole.

    Have a great weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It took some time for me to start loving this series, but when I did, amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is now of those series I always mean to start and just haven't. I guess I should!!! Glad you enjoyed it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm slowly becoming the only blogger who hasn't read these! lol That's awesome it was such a good read for you and you were able to settle in and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne is such an epic writer! I want to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have heard so many brilliant things about this series because of reviewers, that I am so going to be reading it one day! It's already on my TBR list. I am so glad you were able to adore the book, and the world building being done so well. And the story sounds pretty epic too :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...