Thursday, March 9, 2017

Review - Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop

Vision in Silver by Anne Bishop
Series: The Others #3
Berkley Publishing Group - Roc
Publication Date: March 3, 2015
Date Read: March 4, 2017
Source: Purchased

The Others freed the  cassandra sangue  to protect the blood prophets from exploitation, not realizing their actions would have dire consequences. Now the fragile seers are in greater danger than ever before—both from their own weaknesses and from those who seek to control their divinations for wicked purposes. In desperate need of answers, Simon Wolfgard, a shape-shifter leader among the Others, has no choice but to enlist blood prophet Meg Corbyn’s help, regardless of the risks she faces by aiding him.

Meg is still deep in the throes of her addiction to the euphoria she feels when she cuts and speaks prophecy. She knows each slice of her blade tempts death. But Others and humans alike need answers, and her visions may be Simon’s only hope of ending the conflict.

For the shadows of war are deepening across the Atlantik, and the prejudice of a fanatic faction is threatening to bring the battle right to Meg and Simon’s doorstep…


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This was another really strong installment in a series that is quickly becoming a favorite for me.  This book picks up right after the events of the previous book so this is a series that really does need to be read in order.  I did really enjoy this book but I found it easier to set aside than the previous two books in the series.  I do think that this is really my issue.  I am not really someone that reads books in a series back to back.  I have done it on occasion but in most cases I become overwhelmed with the world.  I think that with a series like this one that is full of details, I really do need to take a short break between the books in this series at least during my first read through.

There are a lot of things going on in this book.  The other blood prophets like Meg that have been rescued for the facility are having a hard time adjusting to life in the outside world.  The individuals caring for these girls really do want to help but they don't know what they should do.  Meg, along with members of her human pack as Simon calls them, works to come up with a list of tips and rules to make the adjustment easier.

Tension is building between the Others and their human neighbors.  The Humans First and Last or HFL movement is really showing up everywhere.  Many human businesses do not want to deal with the Others any more and opinions are starting to seem hostile.  Humans are no longer welcome in the shops in the courtyard with the exception of certain known people.  Things are definitely becoming very tense.

I do love the characters in this series.  Probably a bit more with every book.  Simon is just amazing.  He is my favorite character in this story by a lot.  Meg is great although she did have a few meltdowns in this book that didn't really seem like her.  Henry, Vlad, Tess, Skippy, Nathan, and Sam are all starting to feel like friends you want to have around.

I did think that the pace of this book was a bit slower at times.  There were plenty of incredibly exciting moments to keep things interesting.  I really did enjoy seeing a bit from the point of view of one of the girls as she starts to learn to adjust to life outside of a facility.  I hope that we get to see more from her in future installments.  Simon and Meg are still dancing around each other and I don't even know if I want to see them become more than friends or not.  They don't seem to know so I guess it is okay that I don't.

I would highly recommend this series to others.  This series has so much going for it with fantastic characters and excellent world building.  I can't wait to see what happens next!

The Series

Book #1 - Written in Red - My Review
Book #2 - Murder of Crows - My Review
Book #3 - Vision in Silver
Book #4 - Marked in Flesh
Book #5- Etched in Bone

About the Author
Photo: © Merri Lee Debany
New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop is a winner of the William L. Crawford Memorial Fantasy Award, presented by the International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts, for The Black Jewels Trilogy. She lives in upstate New York.

Author Links: Website | Facebook

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to finally read this series. This is amazing! I don't read too many UF/PNR series so that's saying a lot. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on reading Written in Red in the next few months and am really looking forward to it! Love that you're still loving this series in book 3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful review! I hope to move on to the other books in this series. I have only read the first one and loved it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you enjoyed this one. This is such a great series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard this series is fantastic. And I do love seeing such wonderful worldbuilding happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved her first series Blood something or other but haven't kept up (story of my life). I think I have the first of this one around on audio somewhere . . . I'll have to dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I really enjoyed this one as well and I agree about Simon and Meg. So curious to see how the spin off will be

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you are enjoying these ones. I still need to read the last one and WILL make time for it in April (at least I hope I do). Great review and I love Simon, Skippy and so many other characters. I also love the weather ponies and am convinced I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah it can get to be a lot to read a series back to back to back. Glad you are enjoying it still though. I think I might try the audios of these. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, I am just like you! I never really binge read series, so when you decide to sometimes the series can 'burn out' a little because you're reading them all at once. I am glad that the quality of the storyline is still so good though :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always amazing when the characters start to feel like friends :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...