Thursday, March 2, 2017

Blog Tour Review - How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days by Kerrelyn Sparks @KerrelynSparks @SMPRomance

How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days by Kerrelyn Sparks
Series: The Embraced #1
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: March 7, 2017
Date Read: January 16, 2017
Source: Publisher

Luciana grew up on the Isle of Moon, hidden away because of her magical powers. But when her father arrives, he offers her a choice: remain on the island or return with him and marry the Beast of Benwick in order to save their legacy—and her father's life.

Lord Leofric, the Beast of Benwick, has not been touched since he was a child. Born with the power to harness lightning, he is a danger to everyone he touches. When he meets his betrothed, he expects a loveless, lonely marriage...until he discovers she's vastly more powerful than he realized. But is she strong enough to withstand his touch?

If they can survive, their love will alter the future of the kingdom. But will their extraordinary powers cost them everything?


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This book was so much fun to read!  This is the first book that I have read by Kerrelyn Sparks and I am now thinking that I have probably been missing out on a very good thing.   This book caught my attention right away with the fun title and when I picked it up to take a closer look, I was immediately hooked.  I actually read half the book without even realizing it because I simply couldn't put it down.

This book focuses on Luciana and Lord Leofric, or the Beast.  Luciana has lived her life on the Isle of Moon at a convent with her friends that she considers her sisters.  She is shocked to meet her father but recovers quickly and agrees to go with him and marry the Beast.  The Beast has led a life where he is feared by others because of his powers.  He has rarely been touched by others since coming into his power because he is so dangerous.

I really liked the characters in this book.  Luciana and Leofric were both wonderful.  Each of them had really interesting abilities that really added a layer to their characters.  Luciana was such a caring person from the very beginning of the story when she gives up her life to protect the father she didn't even know she had.  Leofric is thought to be heartless and tough.  It quickly becomes apparent that he cares about others deeply but must distance himself out of fear of causing harm.  He leads a rather lonely life until he meets Luciana.

I liked Luciana and Leofric as a couple.  They did fall for each other quite quickly but I wasn't bothered by that in this particular story.  They had a nice banter with each other and Luciana did not fear the Beast as others did.  They had a lot of chemistry from the very first time they saw each other and it only grew throughout the story.  I had a lot of fun watching this pair get to know each other.

I really enjoyed the world this book was set in.  The special abilities of the characters were a lot of fun and added an interesting element to the story.  I liked the almost medieval feel to the kingdom complete with evil king.  The supporting characters in the story were very well done and I hope to see some of them featured in future books in this series.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This was the kind of book that just swept me away into a fantastical world of romance.  I can't wait to read more in this exciting series!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press.

Excerpt

About the Author

Jennifer Berry Studio
Kerrelyn Sparks apparently has issues with reality. After writing more than a dozen books about vampires, she has now completely gone off the deep end and wound up on another planet. But how thrilling that she can share this magical new world with her readers! Although she is best known (so far) for the Love at Stake series, which has hit as high as number 5 on the New York Times list and 22 on the USA Today list, she hopes her readers will love The Embraced as much as they did her merry band of vamps and shifters. To learn more about her paranormal, historical, and upcoming out-of-this-world fantasy romances, please visit Kerrelyn on Facebook, Twitter, or her website at www.kerrelynsparks.com.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Oh, like the sound of this one. I've always been a fan of the heroine-taming-beast kind of trope. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover and the sound of this book. Thank you for sharing. I'll look at it.
    Great review, Carole. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw yay! She really is a fun author. It's been a while since I've read her, though, but now you have me itching to grab up one of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat that you loved this one and it was your first shot at her writing. I still need to try her stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have me thinking I've been missing out on a very good thing! I haven't read many books like this but I've been wanting to read more. I love the sound of the characters and how well the world is constructed. Adding this to my TBR for when I feel like stepping a little out of my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I had a blast with this book too, so fascinating the world that she creates here. I do agree that you are missing out on this author because I have been following her since her beginning books in her Love at Stake series. I am so happy that you loved her work here and hope you pick her up more soon and love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not even know if I have read a Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fun book! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I am one of very few who didn't enjoy this :( I wanted to really. I liked the world, it seemed fascinating.
    Glad you loved it, it's awesome when you can connect with the couple :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh, this sounds like such a fantastic read! I'll definitely have to check it out!Always awesome when you can't put down the book! Great review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to read this one. Every review I've seen has been a favorable one. I am not a fan of insta-love, but I'm always able to buy it more in a story with paranormal elements.

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...