Monday, September 25, 2017

Review - Lucas by Sawyer Bennett @BennettBooks @readloveswept

Lucas by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Cold Fury Hockey #8
Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept
Publication Date: September 19, 2017
Date Read: September 22, 2017
Source: NetGalley

The Carolina Cold Fury hockey team is stacked with hotshots. But when a new player joins their ranks, he learns that even superstars can’t go it alone when it comes to love.

Lucas Fournier is only serious about one thing: hockey. The league’s fun-loving charmer, Luc is always up for a good prank or a great lay, and he has no intention of settling down. But being traded to the Carolina Cold Fury—and to play alongside his big brother, Max—is no joke. With another title in sight, the last thing Luc wants is to let his new teammates down. To succeed, Luc will need to keep his head in the game and the most . . . er, demanding member of his anatomy in check. But when temptation hits, Luc hits back harder.

Museum curator Stephanie Frazier has always put business before pleasure, which just about explains her nonexistent sex life. But when Stephanie meets Luc at a champagne-fueled gala, she finds herself flirting like crazy—and going home with the uninhibited athlete. For one night, she learns what passion is all about. She just never counted on the little surprise Luc leaves behind. And that’s when things really start to get . . . interesting.

Sawyer Bennett’s New York Times bestselling Carolina Cold Fury series can be read together or separately.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I liked this book a lot.  So far, I have enjoyed every book in this series so I went into this book with pretty high expectations and I am happy to say that they were met.  Each book in this series has featured a member of the Cold Fury Hockey team but that is really where the similarities end.  I am kind of amazed by how different each of these stories really are and I think that is why I still get excited when I learn about a new book being released.  Lucas is the eighth book in the series but it can easily be read as a stand alone novel.

The book focuses on Lucas and Stephanie.  Their story has an unusual start since the book opens with them sharing a rather hot one-night stand.  That one night stand leads to a more lasting situation.  Lucas and Stephanie must figure out how they make things work out.  It was really very interesting to see this pair get to know each other.

Lucas was really the star of this book for me.  He was so patient with Stephanie and seemed to instinctively know the right thing to say and do.  He does have a couple of bonehead moments and there was a couple of times that I caught myself cringing because of him but these things made him seem a little more real.  I am still trying to completely forgive him for one scene.

Stephanie was a bit more frustrating.  She really seems to have her act together but she is terribly afraid of getting close to anyone.  She had a terrible childhood and it made sense that she would approach relationships with caution.  I wanted so much for her to give Lucas a real chance and I couldn't help but get a bit frustrated, kind of like Lucas, when she resisted.

I would recommend this book and series to others.  Fans of the series will be happy to see quite a bit of the characters featured in Max since Lucas and Max are brothers.  I can't wait to read the next book in this wonderful series!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley.
 
Cold Fury Hockey Series
#1 -Alex
#2 - Garrett - My Review
#3 - Zack - My Review
#4 - Ryker - My Review
#5 - Hawke - My Review
#6 - Max- My Review
#7 - Roman - My Review
#8 - Lucas - Now Available
#9 - Van - Coming November 28, 2017!
#10 - Reed - Coming February 6, 2018!
#11 - Marek - Coming May 28, 2018!
About the Author

Since the release of her debut contemporary romance novel, Off Sides, in January 2013, Sawyer Bennett has released more than 30 books and has been featured on both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists on multiple occasions.

A reformed trial lawyer from North Carolina, Sawyer uses real life experience to create relatable, sexy stories that appeal to a wide array of readers. From new adult to erotic contemporary romance, Sawyer writes something for just about everyone.

Sawyer likes her Bloody Mary’s strong, her martinis dirty, and her heroes a combination of the two. When not bringing fictional romance to life, Sawyer is a chauffeur, stylist, chef, maid, and personal assistant to a very active toddler, as well as full-time servant to two adorably naughty dogs. She believes in the good of others, and that a bad day can be cured with a great work-out, cake, or a combination of the two.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

16 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I would enjoy. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I've read a book once with the same name, Lucas Fournier! And I thought in an instant that it's from the same author. It's Frenched by Melanie Harlow btw *wink

    And the hockey Lucas sure sounds gorgeous like my sexy french Lucas hehe. I'll definitely check this one out. Awesome review Carole :)

    Vanessa @ Blushing Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How strange?! I guess that the name isn't that uncommon.

      Delete
  3. I am a big fan of this series, too, although I haven't read them all. I'm a little nervous with this one because in general I struggle with the whole one-night stand thing, but Sawyer Bennett hasn't disappointment me yet. I'm also a little nervous that Stephanie will frustrate me as well. So glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped the first book in the series for some reason. This one worked out for me and I hope you do get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. Lucas and Stephanie sounds really great and I think I would enjoy them. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good together. Lucas was really a romantic character.

      Delete
  5. Do you know I don't think I have read Bennett. This sounds good, so does the series. Sorry, I have not been by, we were gone for 10 days saying goodbye and remembering uncle with family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries about being gone. I am sorry for your loss.

      Hopefully, you do get the chance to read Bennett at some point. I have only read this series but they have been enjoyable.

      Delete
  6. I have this series on my TBR because of you. Glad to see you enjoyed this one too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I am feeling the pressure, Grace. I hope you enjoy this series when you do get the chance to read it.

      Delete
  7. I agree. Lucas was the star of this book. I was ok with Stephanie, but I really love Lucas and cared for him. He was this romantic, who didn't know he was a romantic and it just made me love him more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was really romantic. I just loved him even when he was being dumb.

      Delete
  8. I haven't really gotten into sports related romance yet, but I imagine I will eventually. I am glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hockey is really a minor part of this story but it adds a nice element.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...