Monday, September 11, 2017

Review - Blood Guard by Megan Erickson @MeganErickson_ @readloveswept

Blood Guard by Megan Erickson
Series: Mission #1
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept
Publication Date: September 12, 2017
Date Read: September 4, 2017
Source: NetGalley

Enter a world of immortal danger and desire—and discover an incredible fate borne of blood.

Tendra: One minute, I’m a bartender in gritty Mission City; the next, I’m whisked away by a vampire named Athan who tells me that I’m the lifeblood of his clan. It sounds unbelievable, but he’s got evidence I can’t deny. Turns out, Athan belongs to an underground society of vampires who feed only on humans with their consent. Their enemies have no such qualms, and they want me dead. The only thing standing in their way is strong, sexy Athan. And the closer we get, the more tempted I am to let Athan feed. . . .

Athan: How could I have known when I snatched this snarky, beautiful human off the streets that she would change my destiny? As a loyal soldier, I must deliver Tendra to our future king—my brother. Empowered with the blood of ten generations of the Gregorie breed, she is fated to rule as our queen. But there’s something between us that’s so intoxicating, so carnal, I can’t help wanting Tendra for myself . . . even if it’s treason.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I liked this one.  I was in the mood for a vampire book when I decided to pick this book up and it ended up being a pretty good fit for me.  I read another book written by Megan Erickson earlier this year and was curious about what she would do with a completely different kind of story.  I really liked what she did with the start of this new series.  This was a fairly short book that I ended up reading cover to cover in a single day and really enjoyed the experience.

I really liked the world at the center of this story.  The rules of the vampire society are worked into the story gradually so that it was never too much new information given at the same time.  We learn things little by little right along with Tendra but everything makes sense in connection with the plot.  There were a few really original ideas built into this world which I really enjoyed.

I really liked both of the main characters.  Athan is the perfect combination of honorable, tough, caring, and loyal.  He is a great leader who isn't afraid to make tough decisions when needed.  He cares about the vampires in the clan and tries to help when he can.  Tendra accepts what she is told about her destiny pretty quickly.  She wants to do what her ancestors have set up as her calling.  I loved these two together and thought that the chemistry between them was really well done.

The overall plot was rather exciting.  Athan and Tendra have to travel together so that she can be delivered to the future king of the clan while other groups are trying to stop them.  They run into quite a few obstacles and things become desperate several times.  There are a few sexy scenes worked into the story that do a great job at balancing out some of the action.

I would recommend this book to fans of paranormal romance.  I had a lot of fun reading this fun little vampire story.  I am looking forward to reading future books in this series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley.

About the Author
Photo: © TK
Megan Erickson is a USA Today bestselling author of romance that sizzles. Her books have a touch of nerd, a dash of humor, and always have a happily ever after. A former journalist, she switched to fiction when she decided she liked writing her own endings better. She lives in Pennsylvania with her very own nerdy husband and two kids. Although rather fun-sized, she’s been told she has a full-sized personality. When Megan isn’t writing, she’s either lounging with her two cats, named after John Hughes, characters or . . . thinking about writing.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

32 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book this week (finally!). I've heard meh things about it, like it was boring, so my expectations aren't the same as they were months ago when Megan Erickson made the announcement about the book. :/ But I'm still looking forward to reading it. I am definitely in the mood for a vampire romance novel. :D Great review, Carole!

    Have a wonderful week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it when you do read it. I went into it without a lot of expectations and was entertained.

      Delete
  2. it's been a while since I haven't read a vampire book and I confess that I didn't know about this one so thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read them all that often but I was in the mood for one and this worked perfectly.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read a vampire book in ages as well, but you have me curious about the author's worldbuilding and vampire society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun little vampire world. I am looking forward to more in the series.

      Delete
  4. so what is lifeblood? some special bond or food? wanna know because it might make me not read it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tendra has the special blood that will help the vampire king rule and give him special powers.

      Delete
  5. It's been such a long time since I've read a vampire novel and that bothers me because I actually really love reading about vampires. I am glad you were able to enter into the paranormal world again with this book ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to read a lot more vampire stories but I found this one and thought it sounded exactly what I was in the mood to read.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes a little vampire romance is just what we need. This sounds fun and action packed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been quite a while since I read anything with a vampire, but this sounds like a good one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen this one around lately, people seem to enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I burned myself out on vampire romances a few years ago but I'm glad you were able to find a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes need to take a break from this kind of story but the timing was right this time.

      Delete
  10. I've been really in the mood for vampire stories lately too. I found a few through Kindle Unlimited that I had to pick up recently. I also read this one. I didn't love it as much as I expected to (since I normally love everything Megan Erickson writes) but I did still manage to enjoy it. Glad to see that you liked it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really have any expectations which may have been a good thing.

      Delete
  11. I'm all about paranormal romance especially ones with vampires. I'll be putting this one in my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it once you get the chance to read it, Mary!

      Delete
  12. I've read a few of her books and enjoyed them. I like the sound of this one and plus plus, its the beginning of a story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that once I saw that it was the beginning of a new series, I decided to grab it.

      Delete
  13. oh I have not read a vampire book in forever. Glad you enjoy this world. sounds like a fun new series that I will have to go and check it out. I'm always good with quick reads :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the sound of this one. I am adding this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read many vampire stories but this one does sound like a lot of fun. I like the mix of romance and action.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on this one here!! I have heard that Erickson did a great job with this vampire world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by how much fun I had reading it. I really do think you will enjoy it and I can't wait to read your thoughts.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...