Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Audiobook Review - Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost @Jeaniene_Frost

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Narrated by Tavia Gilbert
Series: Night Huntress #1
Publisher: Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Publication Date: March 31, 2010
Date Read: July 25, 2017
Length: 11 hours 17 minutes
Source: Purchased
★★★★☆
Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.

In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner…are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon, Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side...and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I loved this book!  This was a re-read for me but I have to admit that I didn't remember a whole lot of the book.  I originally read this series around 5 years ago or so and fell in love with it.  I remember reading the books in the series that were available back to back and barely coming up for air.  I do recall the basics of the series but the details are gone so I thought it would be a good time to brush off the audiobook I purchased back in 2011 for a listen.  I may have even liked it more the second time around.

This is the first book in the Night Huntress series so everything is new.  Cat and Bones meet in this book and what a meeting it is.  Cat is half vampire and rather unique because of it.  She has spent her time going to college by day and hunting vampires by night.  Bones is a charismatic vampire that proves to be a challenge for Cat.  These two were so much fun together and I really enjoyed watching them meet again for the first time with this re-read.

Tavia Gilbert does an amazing job bringing this story to life.  I am honestly rather mad at myself for not listening to this one before now.  She does such a wonderful job with all of the characters in this story.  I was especially impressed by her voice for both Cat and Bones.  They are the focus of this story and their voices were so different from each other and I have to say I loved Bone's accent.  I thought that the narration of this story really took things up a notch with exciting scenes suddenly feeling even more exciting.

I really enjoyed how the story was laid out.  The world building in this book happened without stalling any of the action of the story.  The story just seemed to flow from the very first page without ever slowing down.  I thought that this book had a little bit of everything.  It was exciting with a lot of action, sexy, romantic, funny, and even a bit heart wrenching at times.

I would recommend this series to others.  It is a series that really does need to be read in order so this book would be the right place to start.  I am really looking forward to continuing with my audio re-read of this excellent series very soon.

The Night Huntress Series

Book #1 - Halfway to the Grave
Book #2 - One Foot in the Grave
Book #3 - At Grave's End
Book #4 - Destined for an Early Grave
Book #5 - This Side of the Grave
Book #6 - One Grave at a Time
Book #7 - Up From the Grave - My Review
About the Author

Jeaniene Frost is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author whose works include the Night Huntress series, the Night Prince series, and the Broken Destiny series.  To date, foreign rights for her novels have sold to twenty different countries. Jeaniene lives in North Carolina with her husband Matthew, who long ago accepted that she rarely cooks and always sleeps in on the weekends. Aside from writing, Jeaniene enjoys reading, poetry, watching movies, exploring old cemeteries, spelunking and traveling – by car. Airplanes, children, and cook books frighten her. Jeaniene is represented by Nancy Yost at Nancy Yost Literary Agency.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

32 comments:

  1. I love this book and series! I wish I had time to reread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of re-read through audiobooks while I am working. It works out perfectly for me.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this series years ago and just loving it so much!!! Definitely a good book for a re read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was time since I was forgetting a lot about the series. It really is wonderful!

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite UF series which I devoured when I first got back into reading years ago. Love Cat & Bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember going through this series at a record pace. Love it!

      Delete
  4. I'm loving all the covers of this series, and it looks like it's an equally good story too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started this series when three books were out and I ended up binging them because I loved them so much.
    Oh super! I love Tavia Gilbert as a narrator. I'll have to do the audio as my re-read, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tavia Gilbert does a great job with the narration. Definitely check out the audio if you get a chance!

      Delete
  6. I tried it long ago but did not hit the spot for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No book is for everyone. Sorry you didn't care for this one.

      Delete
  7. It has been so long since I read this! I meant to continue with the series, but I still haven't. :-( I may have to read this one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a great series and this one is worthy of a re-read.

      Delete
  8. I loved this book and series and binge read them as well when I found them, it might be time for a re-read! I haven't done an audio book yet, so it's good to know that there are some great narrators out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing re-read via audio because it is a different way to experience a story I already know I love.

      Delete
  9. I never read this series. I think I will add this to my list. Thanks for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy this series, Nadene!

      Delete
  10. I have read like the first four or five of these and really need to go back and finish. These sound amazing on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audio really was amazing! Such a fun series!

      Delete
  11. I've always wanted to try this series since everyone seems to love Jeaniene Frost but I haven't gotten around to it yet. One of these days... Anyhow, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your audiobook re-listen! I've never been much into audiobooks, but you make this one seem like one I should try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! The characters in this series are just wonderful. I hope you get a chance to give it a try at some point.

      Delete
  12. This is one of the series I want to give a try. It's been recommended to me many times and I'm so curious! Glad that you loved it even more. Awesome review, Carole. ��❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Geybie! I hope you get a chance to read this one. There is so much action and the relationship between Cat and Bones is wonderful!

      Delete
  13. I still need to read this series. It looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I really enjoyed all of the books in the series. It was very well done.

      Delete
  14. I re-read this book via audio almost every fall. I'm not sure why it's specific to that time of year, but it is. LOL I know this series has gotten a lot of buzz in the past, but I still feel like it's underrated. I love how Bones and Cat are a team.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that audio was very well done. I do love Cat and Bones together.

      Delete
  15. Yay! I want to do some re-reading of these, I think. I'm guessing I've forgotten a good bit of detail over the past 6 years, too. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have forgotten so many things about this series. It was a fun re-read!

      Delete
  16. I love Cat and Bones and actually only read the last one about a year ago. I wish I had more time reread. Listening sounds even better! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of re-reading anymore. Listening is really a different experience so I find that I really enjoy it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...