Thursday, August 10, 2017

Audiobook Review - Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay @JennMcKinlay

Buttercream Bump Off by Jenn McKinlay 
Narrated by Susan Boyce
Series: Cupcake Bakery Mystery #2
Publisher: Dreamscape Media, LLC
Publication Date: December 6, 2016 (audio)
Date Read: July 31, 2017
Length:  6 hours 36 minutes
Source: Publisher via Audiobook Jukebox
★★★★☆
Melanie Cooper and Angie DeLaura's Fairy Tale Cupcakes bakery is gearing up for Valentine's Day. Unfortunately someone has iced Baxter Malloy on his first date with Mel's mother. Now Mom's a suspect, and Mel and Angie need to find time around frosting to dig into the man's shady past and discover who served him his just desserts. This is the 2nd book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I had a lot of fun with this cozy mystery!  This is the second book in the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series but it could be easily read as a stand-alone novel.  Fans of the series will enjoy seeing some of their favorite characters from the first book back for this installment.  This audiobook never had a boring moment since there were so many things going on in the story.  This was a rather short audiobook that I was able to finish up in just a couple of days and really enjoyed myself in the process.

Thing get moving pretty quickly in this story and there is really a whole lot going on in this one.  Melanie's mom has a big date that she is very excited about.  Melanie and Angie are teaching a couples cupcake class with some pretty interesting clients.  They also decide to host a contest that brings one very determined senior citizen to their bakery.  There is a rock star drummer shaking things up and of course, a murder that needs to be solved.

Susan Boyce once again does a fabulous job narrating this installment in the series.  I really enjoy her portrayals of all of the characters in the book.  She really handles a very diverse cast of characters flawlessly.  I think that her delivery of some of the funnier moments in the book really added to the humor.  I plan to listen to more of her work very soon.

I would recommend this series to fans of cozy mysteries.  This book is filled with wonderful characters and it was just a lot of fun.  I love that the book balances the mystery with romance and humor very well.  I can't wait to read more of this series very soon.

I received a review copy of this audiobook from Dreamscape Media, LLC via Audiobook Jukebox.
About the Author

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jenn McKinlay is the author of About a Dog, the Library Lover’s mysteries, the Cupcake Bakery mysteries, and the Hat Shop mysteries.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

22 comments:

  1. The cover looks delicious. I think I put on ten pounds just from looking at it.☺
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to stay away from real bakeries so visiting them in books works well for me :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're really enjoying this series. Man, now I want a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love those mix of cozy mystery and romance...this sounds simply wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything came together so well in this one!

      Delete
  4. Yay for a good cozy series and a great narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this narrator and can't wait to listen to more of this series.

      Delete
  5. Buttercream...mmmm! LOL I am glad to see that this series is good. I've been wanting to give cozy mysteries a try, and I already know I like this author's contemporary romance.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding that cozy mysteries seem to work well for me on audio and this one was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. I love the title and the cover has me hungry. This sounds like another fun series I need to begin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun series and the covers really do make me crave some sweets!

      Delete
  7. I'm trying to wean myself off sugar and I think this book would destroy the little willpower I have. I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is some talk of cupcakes but less than you might think. I guess by listening at work, I am kind of safe from grabbing junk food.

      Delete
  8. Sounds fun! I need to try out her cozy mysteries for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to get back to this series! I really loved the first few though it does get me craving cupcakes something fierce! Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could use a cupcake right now! I do plan to continue with the series. The audio is very well done if you can get your hands on a copy.

      Delete
  10. I really need to try this author and with Susan Boyce as the narrator (one of my favs), I know I must try the audio version. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan Boyce does a fabulous job with this series. I am looking forward to seeing what else happens at this cupcake bakery!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...