Monday, July 10, 2017

Review - The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase @evepchase

The Wildling Sisters by Eve Chase
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons
Publication Date: July 25, 2017
Date Read: July 9, 2017
Length:  336 pages
Source: First to Read
★★★☆☆
An evocative new novel in the vein of Kate Morton and Daphne Du Maurier, in which the thrill of first love clashes with the bonds of sisterhood, and all will be tested by the dark secret at the heart of Applecote Manor

Four sisters. One summer. A lifetime of secrets.

When fifteen-year-old Margot and her three sisters arrive at Applecote Manor in June 1959, they expect a quiet English country summer. Instead, they find their aunt and uncle still reeling from the disappearance of their daughter, Audrey, five years before. As the sisters become divided by new tensions when two handsome neighbors drop by, Margot finds herself inexplicably drawn into the life Audrey left behind. When the summer takes a deadly turn, the girls must unite behind an unthinkable choice or find themselves torn apart forever.

Fifty years later, Jesse is desperate to move her family out of their London home, where signs of her widower husband’s previous wife are around every corner. Gorgeous Applecote Manor, nestled in the English countryside, seems the perfect solution. But Jesse finds herself increasingly isolated in their new sprawling home, at odds with her fifteen-year-old stepdaughter, and haunted by the strange rumors that surround the manor.

Rich with the heat and angst of love both young and old, The Wildling Sisters is a gorgeous and breathtaking journey into the bonds that unite a family and the darkest secrets of the human heart.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32766483-the-bookshop-at-water-s-end
My Review

I would say that this book was just okay for me.  I decided to read this book because the premise sounded really interesting.  The story opened with a bang and I was pretty sure that I had made a great decision in picking up this book.  After just a few pages, things slowed down.  All the way down.  I found myself setting the book aside to clean and I hate cleaning.  About a third of the way into the book, I seriously considered adding it to my dnf pile and moving on to something else.  I decided to read just a bit more before quiting and it did pick up.  The second half of the book was much more interesting to me and I am glad that I hung in there a bit longer.

This is a book that is told in two different periods of time.  One story is set in 1959 and features Margot and her three sisters.  The other story is set in the present time and features Jesse and her family.  The connecting link is Applecote Manor.  I knew that eventually the two stories would come together but it took a very long time for that to happen.  I found the story that was set in 1959 to be much more interesting than the present day at least for the first half of the book.

I did really enjoy this book a lot more once the two timelines started to come together.  Both timelines became much more interesting and I wanted to learn what happened to Audrey all of those years ago.  I felt for her parents and thought that the way it impacted their lives was illustrated very well.  Margot was an interesting character but I never got to really know her sisters very well.  Jesse's story really focuses on the relationship between Jesse and her step-daughter Bella.  I wanted to see them work things out and come to trust each other more as the story progressed.

I think that I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if it had been told in with just one timeline. As soon as things would get interesting, the time would shift and it slowed everything down for me.  I am glad that I read the book but it isn't a favorite.  I would like to read more from Eve Chase in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from G.P. Putnam's Sons via First to Read.

Alternate Title
Publishing as The Vanishing of Audrey Wilde in the UK on July 13, 2017
I must say that I really prefer the cover and title of the UK version of this book. 
About the Author

Eve Chase is the author of Black Rabbit Hall. She lives in Oxford, England, with her husband and three children.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter

8 comments:

  1. I am not sure I would have stuck it out like you did. However, glad to see your perseverance paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it may be an ok read, but sorry it fell short. I'm pretty sure I have this from Netgalley and need to pick it up but after seeing your review, I'm not that excited to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, it must have been tough to finish it. I prefer a not so complicated timeline in a book too. I enjoy it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, if you want to clean that is a sure sign things are going wrong. Glad the second half picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do prefer the uk title and cover too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Chase's previous book Black Rabbit Hall and enjoyed it but it had some pacing issues and the story wasn't nearly as complex so I can see how this would have really slowed to a crawl. That's too bad because Chase does a really great job with atmosphere but I think when I want atmosphere I'll stick to Kate Morton. I like the sound of this but I'm not sure I could handle the pacing even with the 2nd half picking up. I love the UK title/cover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to push through a book when two timelines are being told simultaneously and you're only interested in one of them.

    I'm glad you enjoyed the book in the end. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ergs. Yeah if I'm opting to clean instead of read I usually bounce and am done. Glad things picked up some for ya, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...