Thursday, July 20, 2017

Blog Tour Review - Scandalous Ever After by Theresa Romain @TheresaRomain @SourcebooksCasa

Scandalous Ever After by Theresa Romain
Series: Romance of the Turf #2
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: July 4, 2017
Date Read: July 18, 2017
Length:  352 pages
Source: NetGalley
★★★★☆
Does love really heal all wounds?
After being widowed by a steeplechase accident in Ireland, Lady Kate Whelan abandons the turf. But once her mourning is complete, her late husband’s debts drive her to seek help in Newmarket amidst the whirl of a race meet. There she encounters antiquities expert Evan Rhys, her late husband’s roguish friend—whom she hasn’t seen since the day of his lordship’s mysterious death.

Now that fate has reunited them, Evan seizes the chance to win over the woman he’s always loved. But once back within the old stone walls of Whelan House, long-held secrets come to light that shake up everything Kate thought she knew about her marriage. Now she wonders who she can trust with her heart—and Evan must decide between love and a truth that will separate him from all his heart desires.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I really enjoyed this book!  This is the first book by Theresa Romain that I have had the chance to read and it ended up being a great one.  This book is listed as the second book in the Romance on the Turf series but it can be read fine as a stand alone novel.  Once I really got hooked by the story, I didn't want to put this book down.  I kept sneaking peeks throughout the day and before you knew it, I had reached the end of the story.

Kate and Evan are the focus of this story.  Kate became a widow two years ago when her husband died in an accident.  She is working to take care of the debts left by her husband.  Evan was Kate's husband's best friends.  They consider each other friends as well but Evan fought with Con just prior to his death and has stayed away since his passing.  Kate and Evan cross paths at one of his lectures and they decide to travel together.

I liked Kate and Evan together.   They have been friends for a very long time and know a lot about each other but quickly learn that not everything is as they had thought.  I really liked the fact that they were a bit older and seemed more mature than a lot of couples featured in romantic novels.  Kate has been married and is the mother of two children.  They both had a lot of respect for each other and were willing to stand up for themselves when needed.  I thought the chemistry between them was wonderfully done and their banter was a lot of fun.

I really liked the way the story flowed.  Since Kate and Evan spend a lot of the book traveling, we get to see them in several different environments.  Kate's family were so much fun and I loved how Evan seemed to fit in perfectly.  Evan's family were in dramatic contrast and it was fun to see them interact.  Once the pair arrived at Kate's estate, I enjoyed the way they were with the children and Con's mother.  The secondary characters really added to the overall story.

I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance.  This was a heartwarming romance that was a lot of fun to read.  I can't wait to read more of Theresa Romain's works in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley.

Excerpt

About the Author

Historical romance author THERESA ROMAIN pursued an impractical education that allowed her to read everything she could get her hands on. She then worked for universities and libraries, where she got to read even more. Eventually she started writing, too. She lives with her family in Wichita, Kansas.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter
Two of Theresa’s favorite summer activities:
If I were creating the sort of profile I admire, I’d tell you that my favorite summer activities include splashing in the ocean, or camping in the backyard after having a barbecue. But the truth is that I’m hundreds of miles from the nearest beach, and my favorite thing to do there was always to make a giant dolphin out of sand. And I can’t bear to be outside in 100+ heat, especially when the mosquitos are biting.

However, there are so many lovely little things about summer that I do enjoy. Specifically…
  1. Checking on the vegetables that my daughter and I planted as seeds in the spring. Just as the weather starts to get really hot, the tomatoes and green beans are ripe and ready for picking. There’s something so satisfying about growing the veggies we eat with dinner that night.
  2. Using the snow cone machine (really just a glorified ice grinder) to make frozen treats in our own home. Sure, we could make them any time of year, but summer just seems right for shaved ice with syrup on it. Once, Little Miss R and I brought a big bowl of tangerine snow cone to Mr. R while he was working out in the backyard on a hot afternoon. “That looks like heaven,” he said. Yup. Snow cones are pretty magical.
In SCANDALOUS EVER AFTER, there are no frozen treats or backyard campfires—but there *is* a sea, and Lady Kate Whelan and Evan Rhys find themselves on a road trip of a lifetime. Between ferries and floods, treats and horses and races, sickness and health and more than one scandalous interlude, these two old friends will find a love they never expected—and unearth secrets they never dreamed of. I hope you’ll enjoy this romantic summer read!

Giveaway

20 comments:

  1. Oh you're making me kick myself just a little for not taking this one on. They sound fantastic. I do like that they're older, too. That's nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are probably around 30 but they just felt really mature to me. I did enjoy this one.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the giveaway! The books sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! I really did enjoy this one!

      Delete
  3. This sounds great! I don't read a lot of historical romances but this does sound like one I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been reading more of them lately and really enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. Dang! I am meant to read Historical Romance this month. Now I think I've got so many books to choose from. Great review Carole :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to fit everything in isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Romain is fun :D I have 1 waiting for me, yay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was a lot of fun. I hope to read more of her work soon.

      Delete
  6. Oh I do love scandalous stories! Romain is a bit of it or miss for me but this one sounds fun! Glad you enjoyed it, great review Carole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only Romain that I have read and I am happy to say it was a winner.

      Delete
  7. Good to hear that we can start with book 2! I know I need to try this author!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this is one of those series where it will be ok to jump in anywhere.

      Delete
  8. I have not read a historical romance in the longest while. This one sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't read any for a long time until this year when I have started picking them back up again.

      Delete
  9. What a great review Carole! I've been on a huge Regency Romance binge lately and I just added this one onto my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was such a wonderful read, Miranda! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  10. I am glad to hear that you really enjoyed this one. I have read this author but lately her writing just has been hard to get into so I haven't picked her up. This book though sounds fantastic and I am thinking about picking this up since you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first experience and it turned out to be a good one. I hope you enjoy it if you get the chance to read it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...