Friday, June 9, 2017

Review - Lost Boy by Christina Henry @C_Henry_Author @BerkleyPub

Lost Boy: The True Story of Captain Hook by Christina Henry
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Publication Date: July 4, 2017
Date Read: June 8, 2017
Length:  304 pages
Source: First to Read
★★★★☆
From the national bestselling author of Alice comes a familiar story with a dark hook—a tale about Peter Pan and the friend who became his nemesis, a nemesis who may not be the blackhearted villain Peter says he is…

There is one version of my story that everyone knows. And then there is the truth. This is how it happened. How I went from being Peter Pan’s first—and favorite—lost boy to his greatest enemy.

Peter brought me to his island because there were no rules and no grownups to make us mind. He brought boys from the Other Place to join in the fun, but Peter's idea of fun is sharper than a pirate’s sword. Because it’s never been all fun and games on the island. Our neighbors are pirates and monsters. Our toys are knife and stick and rock—the kinds of playthings that bite.

Peter promised we would all be young and happy forever.

Peter lies.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This was a lot of fun.  I am not really someone who reads a lot of fairy tale retellings but the idea of this one really appealed to me.   I really don't know a whole lot about the original Peter Pan story besides what I know from Disney which was probably one of the things that made me want to pick this book up.  It did start out a bit slow for me and I was able to set it aside but once I really got going, I didn't want to put it down.  This was really a great read.

I have a weakness for villains but Jamie really doesn't feel like a villain in this story.  I really enjoyed seeing Peter Pan, the island, and the other boys from Jamie's point of view.  Jamie was the first boy that Peter brought to the island and he is the favorite.  He takes care of the others and keeps things in line.  For a boy that will never grow up he is really very mature.

Peter wasn't the lovable innocent child that I know from the Disney movie.  Not at all.  Peter was cunning and thought only of himself.  He brings boys to the island so that he will forever have playmates and he wants them all to love him.  That doesn't mean that he cares about them all that much because if they die or get hurt he can just go and get more boys.  Peter wants things the way that he wants them and he has all of the power on the island so the boys follow his lead.

The story had a lot of exciting moments.  I was happy to see the things that I remember from my limited knowledge of Peter Pan including the pirates, the tree, and mermaids.  I was also thrilled to see a few surprises along the way.  This was definitely not a Disney movie and some of the scenes were actually quite violent.  There were plenty of characters to like and a few to hate.  Once the book hit the mid-point the action really didn't let up until the final page.

I would recommend this book to others.  I thought it was a really well done story with great characters.  This is the first book by Christina Henry that I have read but I hope to read more in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via First to Read.
About the Author

Photo: © Kathryn McCallum Osgood
Christina Henry is the author of the national bestselling Black Wings series featuring Agent of Death Madeline Black and her popcorn-loving gargoyle, Beezle. She lives in Chicago.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this one through the first to read program and I considered getting it because I really love retelling. All of the Peter Pan retellings that I've read so far, I didn't end up loving so I decided against it but now I'm wondering if I should give it a chance lol! Great review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review and I'm really glad I have an ARC of this from Netgalley. Stormi and I are buddy reading it next month. I love dark tales and it sounds like this fits the bill. I don't like Disney's Peter Pan and actually think Hook is the best character in the whole tale. As for Tinkerbell...can we say flyswatter???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love retellings and I love Peter Pan too, I'll definitely check this one one. Nice review Carole :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her UF books so gotta try these

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Peter Pan from way back and I always thought he was kind of naughty at heart. I like this take on the tale and it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that cover! Now that is an eyecatching cover :) Glad you enjoyed the book. I'll likely read it on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminded me of Peter Pan in Once Upon A Time. This is something I see myself enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been going back and forth with this one. It does look so good, but I'm not sure it's up my alley.

    Great review, Carole. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a sucker for fairy tale retellings, so I've had my eye on this one. It sounds like this it's an exciting adaptation---I think I'll have to give it a chance.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm curious about this one. I love Peter Pan the movie but have never read the book. I'm glad that even with limited knowledge this still works. I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read a Peter Pan spin off (I'm not sure if that's the right word for it) years ago and really liked it. The Disney Peter Pan movie isn't my favorite admittedly, and so I like that this is quite different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i like this spin on Peter Pan.

    Curious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, now this does sound good. I like the idea of getting the Peter Pan story from Hook's POV and Hook as the hero. Great find, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love retellings. I don't think I've ever read one that revolved around Peter Pan. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...