Monday, June 5, 2017

Audiobook Review - Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs @Mercys_Garage @PenguinAudio

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
Narrated by Lorelei King
Series: Mercy Thompson #5
Ace / Penguin Audio
Publication Date: March 30, 2010
Date Read: May 30, 2017 (2nd read)
Source: Purchased - Audible
Length: 9 hours 8 minutes

When mechanic and shapeshifter Mercy Thompson attempts to return a powerful Fae book she'd previously borrowed in an act of desperation, she finds the bookstore locked up and closed down. It seems the book contains secret knowledge - and the Fae will do just about anything to keep it out of the wrong hands.

And if that doesn't take enough of Mercy's attention, her friend Samuel is struggling with his wolf side - leaving Mercy to cover for him, lest his own father declare Sam's life forfeit.

All in all, Mercy has had better days. And if she isn't careful, she might not have many more to live.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I really enjoyed this book.  Anyone who has been following my reviews probably already knows how much I love this series and this book was no exception.  It was so nice to re-visit this wonderful story and spend more time with characters that I have grown to love.  This wasn't the most exciting book in the series or my favorite but it was still a very solid read.

Mercy has a lot to deal with in this installment.  She needs to find the owner of the bookstore where she borrowed a very special book in a previous installment.  It seems that he might be in some kind of trouble and someone wants to get his hands on the book.  Samuel is in crisis and his wolf is in control.  Mercy knows that if he doesn't come around quickly then it will be the end for Samuel so she wants to give him some time to sort things out.

There are also a few issues concerning the pack and Mercy's relationship with Adam.  Not everyone in the pack is happy to have Mercy as a member.  Being a part of a pack is new to Mercy and she isn't used to how easily they can get in her head.  Adam and Mercy do love each other and take some steps to get things worked out.

My favorite parts of this book were the sections that dealt with the pack and Adam.  It is kind of fun after reading the whole series to see how much things have changed over the course of the series.  I think that both Mercy and Adam took some major steps in this book to strengthen their relationship and Mercy's place in the pack.  The issues with Samuel were also very well done.  I really do enjoy his character and he is really in a bad place for much of this book.

Lorelei King is the voice of Mercy Thompson.  She does such a wonderful job narrating this series that I usually want to move to the next book just as soon as I finish a book.  The character's emotions really come across perfectly with her narration and she is able to voice a large number of characters very well.  I look forward to listening to this narrator many more times in the future.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This is a series that really needs to be read in order since the character relationships are a large part of the story.  I look forward to continuing with my re-read of this series very soon.

The Series - Mercy Thompson
Book 5 - Silver Borne
Book 6 - River Marked
Book 7 - Frost Burned
Click the links to read my reviews for the other books in this series!
About the Author
Photo: © Mike Briggs
#1 New York Times bestselling author Patricia Briggs lives in Washington State with her husband, children, and a small herd of horses.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. I think it was one of your reviews that convinced me to finally re-read the first book in order to continue on with the series. I stalled again, unfortunately. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read this series but they do sound good. I am glad that you are enjoying these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this series is always so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this series and the other that is linked to it, and I just wasn't in love with it. I may continue eventually, but I am not sure at this point.

    I'm glad to see you enjoy it so much. I love series that make me excited to reread them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe this is the last book I've read in the series. I have a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to try and get these on audio. I just listened to First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones which Lorelei King narrated and she was fantastic! This is a series I've really been wanting to try and now that I know a favorite narrator is doing the audio I'm really looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this series. I have heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working on the audio for this series too, but I'm on the 4th book. I'm really enjoying it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to think about what happened in this one since I'm not there yet in my audio re-read. But oh yeah, this one had some big inter-personal moments. I loved getting the follow-up (or more like prequel) to the Samuel aspect of the story when she put together the Shifting Shadows anthology.

    Enjoying your reviews for the series, Carole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read the first book but I liked it, and I'm looking forward to seeing Mercy and Adam's relationship develop, as well as the pack dynamics. And since I'm doing terrible on my urban fantasy challenge, I need to get to these!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I added to book one to my list, it's been so long since I read about a shape-shifter. This series sounds very interesting. Thanks Carole :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She really does do a fantastic job narrating. I'm slowly picking up more of her narrations. Yay for loving this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It has to be a brilliant series if even though it isn't the best book in the series or it isn't the most exciting, but you can still really love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...