Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review - Spectacle by Rachel Vincent @rachelkvincent @HarlequinBooks

Spectacle by Rachel Vincent
Series: Menagerie #2
Publisher: Harlequin - MIRA
Publication Date: May 30, 2017
Date Read: March 18, 2017
Length:  400 pages
Source: NetGalley
★★★★★
In this riveting sequel to New York Times bestselling author Rachel Vincent's acclaimed novel Menagerie, Delilah Marlow will discover that there is no crueler cage than the confines of the human mind…

When their coup of Metzger's Menagerie is discovered, Delilah and her fellow cryptids find their newly won freedom brutally stripped away as they are sold into The Savage Spectacle, a private collection of "exotic wildlife." Specializing in ruthless cryptid cage matches, safari-style creature hunts and living party favors, the Spectacle's owner, Willem Vandekamp, caters to the forbidden fetishes of the wealthy and powerful. At the Spectacle, any wish can be granted—for the right price.

But Vandekamp's closely guarded client list isn't the only secret being kept at the Spectacle. Beneath the beauty and brutality of life in the collection lie much darker truths, and no one is more determined than Delilah to strip the masks from the human monsters and drag all dark things into the light.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This book lived up to all of my expectations.  That is saying a lot because I really set the bar pretty high for this one.  Last year, I picked up the first book in the series, Menagerie, on a whim and completely fell in love with the story.  I immediately started counting down the days until I would be able to see what happens next in the life of Delilah and everyone else from Metzger's Menagerie.  I had a few guesses about where the story would go next and all of them ended up being wrong.  I couldn't be happier about that because I love it when a book really surprises me as this one was able to do.

This book picks up right after the events of Menagerie.  This is a series that really should be read in order so I do recommend that readers new to the series go back and read Menagerie before starting this one.  It is a great book so you wouldn't want to miss it anyway.  Delilah and the gang are running the show and trying to make things work.  Things are tough but they are enjoying their new found freedom until things go horribly wrong.

They soon find themselves being added to Vandekamp's Spectacle.  This is not a place you would want to be.  It isn't a traveling show as Metzger's was.  Vandekamp's serves a different kind of customer.  The exhibits are subjected to pretty much anything the clients are willing to pay for and the owners find profitable.  The captives are controlled through high tech means which seem impossible to overcome.

This story proved to be incredibly exciting for me.  Everything that Delilah goes through and sees in this story really got to me.  I was as confused about what was happening at first as the characters were and my heart broke for them as we discovered more about what was going on.  I kept wondering what was going to happen next and by the end of the book, I couldn't turn the pages nearly fast enough.  Let's just say that this book definitely ends with a bang. 

I would highly recommend this series to others.  It is the kind of story that really makes you think about the things that people do to each other.  Even though this is set in a world full of cryptids, I think that the behavior of the humans really felt authentic which makes me very sad.  This is a series that has earned a spot on my favorites list and I can't wait to see what happens in the next installment!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Harlequin - MIRA via NetGalley.
The Menagerie Series
Book #1 - Menagerie - My Review
Book #2 - Spectacle
About the Author

New York Times bestselling author Rachel Vincent loves good chocolate, comfortable jeans, and serial commas. She's older than she looks and younger than she feels, but is convinced that for every day she spends writing, one more day will be added to her lifespan. Now absorbed in the dark, tangled loyalties of her UNBOUND world, as well as the travails of a teenage banshee in her SOUL SCREAMERS world, Rachel can be found online at www.rachelvincent.com or urbanfantasy.blogspot.com.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, I should try these. I did like her other series

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes I really want to try this series! I didn't know that book 2 was there but it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sure looks interesting. Glad you had fun with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is definitely great that it totally surprised you and had you riveted all the way. So sad that the humans are the monsters. We sure can be at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love when the follow up lives up to my expectations of a book I loved. I'm not sure this one is for me though I do like the concept. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! I am so looking forward to this book. Great review!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh shoot I didn't realize this was book two till today. I love the sound of this series so I'll have to check if I have book 1. Great review, I love when the follow up is strong

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank you for your review being so vague - I still have an ARC of this one that I've not read yet. D: Do you think I need to reread or peak at the ending of Menagerie? I don't remember very much from the ending of that book. :/ Or just jump right in to Spectacle? I'm excited to read it. I'm so glad you loved it, Carole!

    Have a wonderful weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a different story so I think that you are okay going straight into this one as long as you remember the overall who's who and story from the first book. I don't think you have to remember all of the details or anything. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  9. Ooh this is the first reviews I've seen for this one. I've been meaning to read Menagerie and just haven't gotten to it yet. Now I really want to! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one- I'm going to make sure I get both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those two covers are so different from each other! I wouldn't have guessed the two books were in the same series. I am so happy you were able to love it just as much as the first one. It's so sad when sequels are disappointing but here that is not the case :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...