Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Review - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Publisher: Penguin Group Viking - Pamela Dorman Books
Publication Date: May 9, 2017
Date Read: May 10, 2017
Length: 336 pages
Source: First to Read

Smart, warm, uplifting, the story of an out-of-the-ordinary heroine whose deadpan weirdness and unconscious wit make for an irresistible journey as she realizes the only way to survive is to open her heart

Meet Eleanor Oliphant: she struggles with appropriate social skills and tends to say exactly what she’s thinking. That, combined with her unusual appearance (scarred cheek, tendency to wear the same clothes year in, year out), means that Eleanor has become a creature of habit (to say the least) and a bit of a loner. Nothing is missing in her carefully timetabled life of avoiding social interactions, where weekends are punctuated by frozen pizza, vodka, and phone chats with Mummy.

But everything changes when Eleanor meets Raymond, the bumbling and deeply unhygienic IT guy from her office. When she and Raymond together save Sammy, an elderly gentleman who has fallen on the sidewalk, the three become the kind of friends who rescue each other from the lives of isolation they have each been living. And it is Raymond’s big heart that will ultimately help Eleanor find the way to repair her own profoundly damaged one.

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is the story of a quirky yet lonely woman whose social misunderstandings and deeply ingrained routines could be changed forever—if she can bear to confront the secrets she has avoided all her life. But if she does, she’ll learn that she, too, is capable of finding friendship—and even love—after all.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

What a treat this book turned out to be!  I decided to read this book because I usually enjoy books with quirky characters.  Eleanor Olipahnt certainly fits that description.  I was really grabbed by the book right away and before long I didn't want to put it down.  I was completely fascinated by everything Eleanor Oliphant and had a lot of questions that I needed answered.  I am so glad that I decided to give this wonderful book a try.

Eleanor Oliphant is a creature of routine.  She goes to work, eats her lunch while she works a crossword puzzle, then goes back to her apartment where she makes herself a simple dinner.  On weekends, she stays home and reads books while polishing off a bottle of vodka.  Then she starts back over at the beginning.  Her mother calls her every Wednesday night and she gets a pizza on Friday.

Eleanor doesn't really have a lot of personal connections.  She has worked at the same job for the past 9 years but she isn't really a part of their group.  Then she meets the new IT employee, Raymond.  It is total chance that Raymond and Eleanor are walking together when an older man falls on the sidewalk and need their help.  They spend a lot of time together and develop an unlikely friendship.

I really think that this is one of those books that it is best to go in not knowing a whole lot about where this story might be going.  I really started reading this book thinking it would be one kind of book but I soon figured out it was something quite different.  Something wonderful.  I am still completely surprised by how much I was touched by this story.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  It is such a wonderful story told from a very unique character.  This book really starts out good but just keeps getting better until the very heartfelt ending.  This is the first book by Gail Honeyman that I have read but I hope to read more from this talented author in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group Viking - Pamela Dorman Books via First to Read.
About the Author

Gail Honeyman is a graduate of the Universities of Glasgow and Oxford. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine was shortlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Fiction Prize as a work in progress and is Honeyman’s debut novel. She lives in Glasgow, Scotland.

13 comments:

  1. I am so mad I didn't request this one. It sounds like something I would love. I will definitely be picking this up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like when a story surprises you in a good way. Great review Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for good surprises like that. She sounds like an interesting character in her routines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Carole. I like book with quirky characters, too, and this seems like a heart warming read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think i could totally enjoy this one too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quirky characters grab my attention, too. Neat how stuff and people happen to interfere with the routine a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you just reminded me about this book, I was looking forward to something light and fun and this looks really enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  8. The title has been catching my eye so I'm glad to see this review and even more glad to see you enjoyed it! I love the sound of what you did share and really enjoy a story that surprises you in the best of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I added this to my TBR, and now confirmation that it was a good pick. Yeah!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember seeing it on another blog. It's nice to hear that you were taken by the story like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read too many books with quirky characters myself actually. And as someone who is generally fan of them in movies though, maybe I should give this one a try...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy a quirky character too and I'm glad this was just a delightful read! I'll definitely keep this one in mind. Lovely review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I can relate to Eleanor lol This sounds lovely though.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...