Sunday, May 7, 2017

Review - Cannibalism by Bill Schutt @draculae @HighBridgeAudio @audiobkjkbx

Cannibalism by Bill Schutt
Narrated by Tom Perkins
Publisher: HighBridge Audio
Publication Date: February 14, 2017
Date Read: May 1, 2017
Length: 8 hours 56 minutes
Source: Publisher via Audiobook Jukebox

Eating one’s own kind is completely natural behavior in thousands of species, including humans. Throughout history we have engaged in cannibalism for reasons of famine, burial rites, and medicinal remedies; it’s been used as a way to terrorize and even a way to show filial piety. With unexpected wit and a wealth of knowledge, American Museum of Natural History biologist Bill Schutt takes us on a tour of the field, dissecting exciting new research and investigating questions such as why so many fish eat their offspring and some amphibians consume their mother’s skin; why sexual cannibalism is an evolutionary advantage for certain spiders; why, until the end of the eighteenth century, British royalty ate human body parts; how cannibalism may be linked to the extinction of Neanderthals; why microbes on sacramental bread may have led Catholics to execute Jews in the Middle Ages.

Today, the subject of humans consuming one another has been relegated to the realm of horror movies, fiction, and the occasional psychopath, but be forewarned: As climate change progresses and humans see more famine, disease, and overcrowding, biological and cultural constraints may well disappear. These are the very factors that lead to outbreaks of cannibalism. As he examines these close encounters of the cannibal kind, Bill Schutt makes the ick-factor fascinating.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I don't read a lot of non-fiction books but for some reason as soon as I saw this book I knew I wanted to read it.  I love learning about anything medical or science related so it was as surprising of a choice as you might think.  I have always said that I read a little bit of everything and this book is proof positive of that fact.  Cannibalism is a really interesting subject and I learned a lot while listening to this book.  It was really an enjoyable experience.

I have to admit that as soon as I saw this book, I started thinking about criminals who practice cannibalism.  If you are looking for a book that chronicles the actions of serial killers, this probably isn't the book for you.  There is a little bit of those kind of stories in this book but very few.  The author actually makes a point to explain why he chose not to focus on criminals.  This book instead deals with many other topics pertaining to cannibalism.

If you are interested in learning about cannibalism in nature, look no further because this book is full of that kind of information.  This books covers cannibalism in fish, birds, tadpoles, insects, and spiders.  It discusses why it might be advantageous for animals to cannibalize others creatures of their own species sometimes including their own offspring.  I can honestly say that I learned more about cannibalism in nature than I even knew that I wanted to know.

I really enjoyed the sections of the book that involved human cannibalism.  The very few sections that did discuss criminal cannibalism were very interesting.  At the very beginning of the book, I learned that the book Psycho is based off a true story of a man that killed and cannibalized his victims.  Survival cannibalism was another very interesting topic.  I had never heard of the Donner party prior to listening to this book but I was captivated and saddened by their story.  There is a section that discusses the eating of one's placenta, not something that I ever gave any thought to before this book but interesting nonetheless.

I thought that Tom Perkins was the perfect narrator for this book.  It almost felt as if I were listening to a nature show on television.  His voice is exactly the kind of voice I think of when imagining the voice over sections in any nature program.  This book had a lot of details and was full of information but I never tired of listening to it largely because of the narrator's skill.

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the topic.  It is a heavy subject but it is delivered in a very readable manner.  There are a lot of details but it is presented in an entertaining manner.  I was entertained and learned a few things.  This is the first book by Bill Shutt that I have read but I would consider his work in the furture.

I received a review copy of this book from HighBridge Audio via Audiobook Jukebox.
About the Author

Bill Schutt is a professor of biology at LIU Post and a research associate in residence at the American Museum of Natural History. His first book, Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures, was selected as a Best Book of 2008 by Library Journal and Amazon.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter


About the Narrator

An award-winning audio engineer for over forty years, Tom Perkins has expanded his skills to narrating and has more than sixty titles to his credit. He learned by working with the world's best voice talent during his career, and he continues to engineer a variety of projects.

5 comments:

  1. I have only seen a catmama eat her dead babies, that was disturbing enough

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be squeamish, but interested enough to pick it up. I can see why this NF grabbed you. Incidentally, I grew up about a half hour from Donner Pass where that tragedy happened so I learned about it as a kid.
    I've read about primitive cultures who eat parts of their defeated foes if they were strong b/c they believed it gave them their foes' strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I have had my eye on this book, and am glad to finally read a review of it. While cannibalism in criminals is . . . interesting, I'm glad this doesn't focus on that. I will definitely be adding this to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do enjoy nonfiction from time to time but this subject matter might turn my stomach. Very interesting! And good on you for having the gumption for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh yes. Back in college this would have been my catnip! lol I'm glad you found it interesting and a good experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...