Monday, May 22, 2017

Review - Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews @ilona_andrews @avonbooks @HarperAudio

Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews
Narrated by Renee Raudman
Series: Hidden Legacy #1
Publisher: Avon / Harper Audio
Publication Date: October 28, 2014
Date Read: May 16, 2017 (2nd read)
Length:  12 hours 45 minutes
Source: Audible Purchase
★★★★★
Number-one New York Times best-selling author Ilona Andrews launches a brand-new Hidden Legacy series, in which one woman must place her trust in a seductive, dangerous man who sets off an even more dangerous desire.

Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career - a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile situation. Nevada isn't sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.

Then she's kidnapped by Connor "Mad" Rogan - a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run and wanting to surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.

Rogan's after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she's getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
 A Quick Note
I originally posted this review on my blog on November 5, 2014 when I first read the book.  I don't usually re-post reviews on my blog but I think I had like 12 followers back then so I don't think that many people have had the chance to read it.  I just did a re-read of this book via audio and it is still as awesome as ever and my thoughts from my original review still hold true.  I thought it would be a good chance to revisit my original review along with a few new thoughts specific to the audiobook.  This is a very exciting year with both White Hot and Wildfire set to release very soon.

My Review

This book was absolutely amazing.  The writing team of Ilona and Gordon Andrews have consistently been able to produce books that are written to a higher standard.   I have only one complaint regarding this book - the cover.  Nevada looks like a damsel in distress on the cover instead of the strong woman she is in the book.  Can someone please tell me why Mad Rogan's shirt is half off on this cover?  If Mad Rogan (or this cover model) were anywhere near me, I would encourage them to remove their shirt right away but I don't think this image represents the book at all.

I loved that the world this book is set in was so easy to jump into.  There is a very brief intro before the prologue that really sets the stage for the novel very well.  I never felt lost regarding the rules of this world which is a major strength for a first book in a series. 

The characters were phenomenal!  Nevada is a competent, strong woman who places her family above all else.  Nevada does not yet seem to know the extent of her power and I look forward to watching her learn throughout this series.  Her family was so much fun.  How can you not love Grandma?  Everybody who reads this book should love Grandma. 

Mad Rogan is your average lovable psychopath.  Alright, maybe he is not a psychopath (or average) but he does have a few violent tendencies.  And he is powerful and he knows exactly how to use his powers.  The powers that the characters had were just so much fun.  I would love to be able to shake a building when I feel that I am being ignored - I bet that would get my husband's attention even when his favorite show in on television.

This book had tons of action and kept the excitement going.  The banter between the characters was some of the best that I have ever encountered in a book.  The sexual tension between Mad and Nevada was intense but we will have to wait until later books to see that fully realized.  This book ended up being everything I had hoped it would be and I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this series.  I would highly recommend this book and all other Ilona Andrews books to everyone. 

The Audio
Renee Raudman does a fabulous job narrating this audiobook.  All of the characters have a unique voice and the dialog between them always felt very natural.  Nevada experiences a wide range of emotions over the course of this story and it was really well portrayed in the delivery of the audiobook.  I think that the way the story was told added to the story making the exciting parts more exciting, the funny parts even funnier, and the chemistry between Mad Rogan and Nevada was even more intense.  I have already pre-ordered the audiobooks for the next two books in the series and cannot wait to listen to them.


Hidden Legacy Series

Book #1 - Burn for Me - Available Now!
Book #2 - White Hot - Coming May 30, 2017!
Book #3 - Wildfire - Coming July 25, 2017!
About the Author

“Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

13 comments:

  1. I just read this book last month and I'm totally in love too. I heard there's a new book coming, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad this one did not work for me :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. Did it come out that long ago?!! I still have to get to it. Maybe audio will be my way. I've not tried her but always up for trying a new narrator during my walks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yes I really enjoyed this one and book 2 and 3 were so good as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thought about reposting some of my old reviews for the same reason! I'm glad to see a review for book 1. Normally I only see reviews for later books in the series and while I know this is a series I want to read I like seeing your thoughts on the original book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun seeing one of your older reviews reprised like this. I like to go back and read older ones and then think of how the writer has journeyed to their new style.

    I really need to get on this series after loving the Kate Daniels series and then catching up on Innkeeper Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never found about this book until recently. I am planning to this series soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to catch up to this series! It might be a good time to reread the first book. :) Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review, Carole. I'm gonna read this book!!! Thank you for putting this on my radar. Love your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book too! I can't wait to read the next two.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished my re-read of this last night! LOL Oh, man. It was even better the second time around for me. I loved this book!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am putting this one on my TBR!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you were able to reread this one and enjoy it just as much as the first time! It's also cool tht the audio voices were so good for this one. I want to read it someday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...