Monday, April 17, 2017

Review - One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline @LisaScottoline @StMartinsPress

One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline
Publisher:  St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: April 11, 2017
Date Read: April 16, 2017
Source: NetGalley

On paper, Chris Brennan looks perfect. He's applying for a job as a high school government teacher, he's ready to step in as an assistant baseball coach, and his references are impeccable.

But everything about Chris Brennan is a lie.

Susan Sematov is proud of her son Raz, a high school pitcher so athletically talented that he's being recruited for a full-ride scholarship to a Division I college, with a future in major-league baseball. But Raz’s father died only a few months ago, leaving her son in a vulnerable place where any new father figure might influence him for good, or evil.

Heather Larkin is a struggling single mother who lives for her son Justin's baseball games. But Justin is shy, and Heather fears he is being lured down a dark path by one of his teammates, a young man from an affluent family whose fun-loving manner might possibly conceal his violent plans.

Mindy Kostis succumbs to the pressure of being a surgeon's wife by filling her days with social events and too many gin and tonics. But she doesn’t know that her husband and her son, Evan, are keeping secrets from her – secrets that might destroy all of them.

At the center of all of them is Chris Brennan. Why is he there? What does he want? And what is he willing to do to get it?

Enthralling and suspenseful, One Perfect Lie is an emotional thriller and a suburban crime story that will have readers riveted up to the shocking end, with killer twists and characters you won’t soon forget.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I really enjoyed reading this book.  I have to say that there were a few surprises along the way in this story and I really like surprises.  Especially in books.  I started reading this book thinking that things were going in a certain direction until everything changed and I had no idea where this book would end up.  That is exactly the kind of reading experience that I like to have.  This was one of those books that kept me guessing.

Chris Brennan is seemingly perfect.  But everything about him is a lie.  He is hired to teach at the local high school and he is also going to be the assistant baseball coach.  He has his story worked out and everyone seems to love him right from the start.  Now he just needs to figure out which kid is going to be the best choice to fit into his plan.

The characters in this book grew on me.  I had a hard time connecting with anyone at the beginning of the book but by the time I had reached the end of the story I thought they were great.  Most of the characters are just really good people although imperfect.  They all have things going on in their lives that impact their behaviors but they seemed to be doing the best that they could under the circumstances.

I loved the writing.  There was a lot of action in this book that really kept the pace moving.   There were a lot more twists and turns than I was expecting which really kept the story interesting.  This story felt very real.  While it is a fictional story, everything that happened in this story felt like something that could really happen which was actually quite scary.  This was a big story and the fact that it felt authentic was a big plus.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  It was a very fast paced story that could be hard to put down at times.   I have been a fan of Lisa Scottoline for a number of years and I cannot wait to see what she comes up with next.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley.

About the Author
© April Narby
LISA SCOTTOLINE is a New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-winning author of twenty-three novels. She has served as the president of Mystery Writers of America. She has 30 million copies of her books in print in the U.S., and she has been published in thirty-five countries. She writes a column with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, for The Philadelphia Inquirer, and those stories have been adapted into a series of memoirs. She lives in the Philadelphia area with an array of disobedient pets.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

12 comments:

  1. Carole, you have piqued my interest. I am curious to know about this plan, is it a good one or is it bad? Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have read her, like aaaages ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fact that it kept you on your toes and gave a lot of surprises sounds great, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of reading this next, it's a new to me author but kind of in the mood for something like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a chilling read with the guy being a total lie and all the surprises. I love being surprised in a book too, especially in a thriller or mystery. I've heard of Lisa Scottline but have never read any of her books, but I keep seeing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by Lisa Scottoline though I'v been wanting to. I like that the characters grew on you (and that's good to know just in case I have trouble getting into it!). I'm curious about the plan - he doesn't sound like he's up to anything good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a;ways looking for a good book that can keep me on my toes. Will definitely add this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about this one, it looks like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my how intriguing! So many different characters all linked to this guy, and they're all so different too. I am so curious how it all ties together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One Perfect Lie sounds like a perfect mash-up of lies and intrigue and with secrets that are kept just right, Carole! I think I'd enjoy this one, too, especially now that I know that it might be a bit hard to connect to the characters at the beginning of the story.
    Great review!
    Have a terrific Thursday and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a while since I last read a Scottoline book. This one sounds so good, and I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always the best when a book starts with going in one direction until it spirals in such a way where you can't predict what is going to happen. The suspense always gets me! It sounds like this was the perfect novel for that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...