Monday, March 27, 2017

Review - And I Darken by Kiersten White @kierstenwhite @DelacortePress

And I Darken by Kiersten White
Series: The Conqueror's Saga #1
Publisher: Random House Children's Delacorte Press
Publication Date: June 28, 2016
Date Read: March 25, 2017
Source: NetGalley

This vividly rendered novel reads like HBO's Game of Thrones . . . if it were set in the Ottoman Empire. Ambitious in scope and intimate in execution, the story's atmospheric setting is rife with political intrigue, with a deftly plotted narrative driven by fiercely passionate characters. Fans of Victoria Aveyard's THE RED QUEEN, Kristin Cashore's GRACELING, and Sabaa Tahir's AN EMBER IN THE ASHES won't want to miss this visceral, immersive, and mesmerizing novel, the first in a trilogy.

NO ONE EXPECTS A PRINCESS TO BE BRUTAL. And Lada Dragwlya likes it that way. Ever since she and her gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallachia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For the lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bides her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, who's expected to rule a nation, Radu feels that he's made a true friend—and Lada wonders if she's finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada has sworn to fight against—and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.

From New York Times bestselling author Kiersten White comes the first book in a dark, sweeping new series in which heads will roll, bodies will be impaled . . . and hearts will be broken.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This was a truly epic story.   This story spans a lot of years and tells a sometimes brutal story.  I was hooked by the book from almost the first page.  I really couldn't get my mind to focus on anything besides this story until I had reached the end.  It was a bigger story than I had expected with a lot of intricately woven layers.  The characters were amazingly written and I found myself cheering for both Lada and Radu.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful book.

Lada is the daughter of Vlad and she is fierce.  The book opens at her birth and even as a very young child, Lada is brutal when needed.  Her brother, Radu, does not share the same trait.  In every way that Lada is brave and fierce, Radu is sensitive and needs protection.  Her father is force to leave both Lada and Radu in the Ottoman courts and they fear that they may never see Wallachia again.

By chance, Lada and Radu cross paths with Mehmed as children and from an unlikely friendship.  Mehmed is third in line to the throne of the Ottoman empire, a throne he knows he will most likely never hold.  He keeps Lada and Radu by his side largely because Lada will not treat him as anything but her equal.

I enjoyed the characters in this story.  Going into the book, I thought I would fall in love with Lada.  Who doesn't love a fierce female character that can hold her own?  She isn't pretty but she is brave.  I did like Lada a lot but I was more taken with her brother's character, Radu.  I didn't realize that there would be as much of a focus on Radu in the story as there was.  Radu really grew as a character over the course of the book and he was a character that I found I had a lot of respect for.  He was really as resourceful as his sister and could be brave when it was necessary.  Mehmed is a character that really left me with conflicting feelings since there were things I loved about him and other things I disliked.

The setting of the story was perfectly written.  I really could envision this place filled with uncertainty and brutality.  The descriptions of everything from the Head Gardeners duties to life in the harem really helped to bring this world to life.  I thought that the descriptions of religion in the story was well done and I liked that it was an important part of some of the characters' lives.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  The story really has so many great elements from the historical setting, great characters, political intrigue, and even a bit of romance.  I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this planned trilogy!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Children's - Delacorte Press via NetGalley
About the Author

KIERSTEN WHITE is the New York Times bestselling author of And I Darken, Now I Rise, the Paranormalcy trilogy, the dark thrillers Mind Games and Perfect Lies, The Chaos of Stars, Illusions of Fate, and In the Shadows with Jim Di Bartolo. Her books have won several awards, including the Utah Book Award, the Evergreen Young Adult Book Award, and the Whitney Award, and have been named an ALA-YALSA Teen Top Ten Best Book, a Florida Teens Read Selection, and a Texas Lone Star Reading List Selection, among other accolades. She lives with her family near the ocean in San Diego, which, in spite of its perfection, spurs her to dream of faraway places and even further away times.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. This is such a monster book! I've attempted to read this a number of times already but I end up setting it aside. I really should just get it over and done with. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this one on my list just because of the setting and characters, but wow, you make me want to race off and snag it now instead of later. Love how it kept you thinking about it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cool! Thanks for your review. I'm gonna add it to GR

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you enjoyed this one, Carole. I haven't read it, but I've seen a lot of good things about it. I have to really be in the mood for a fantasy book. I'll keep this one in mind for when I am!

    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a book that pulls me in and surprises me. This sounds really interesting and I've read very little fantasy lately. You definitely have me curious about this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOh nice! I still need to read this one! I think I felt overwhelmed at first because some reviews mentioned the slower pace and detail to historical events and whatnot. So I wasn't entirely sure about it. I do still want to read it at some point so I still have my ARC sitting on the shelf begging to be read! Lol! Glad to see you enjoyed it! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know so many love this one but it intimidates me for some reason. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it! I loved this book and Lada. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. you make me curious. I'm considering this series once I finish the ones I'm currrently reading. Thank you for sharing. Awesome review. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The library has it :D So totally need to read it one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. the mixed it reviews it had before kind of put me off but after people who really loved it, like you, said how good the historical setting and political intrigue were, I knew I should read this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's always kind of funny when another, side character kind of steals the spotlight for you. I am someone who often falls for the secondary character so I am quite used to it and can definitely understand! I also love a plot where there are more layers woven into it then you think, so this sounds like a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds very nicely done! I love when you really get to see one of the characters grow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did a quick scan of your review, only, Carole, as I have this one too. And you made me want to push it way up on my list of future reads! I'm so happy you loved it :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...