Thursday, February 16, 2017

Review - A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong @KelleyArmstrong @MinotaurBooks

A Darkness Absolute by Kelley Armstrong
Series: Casey Duncan #2
St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books
Publication Date: February 7, 2017
Date Read: February 11, 2017
Source: NetGalley

The follow-up to #1 NYT bestseller Kelley Armstrong’s acclaimed City of the Lost, Rockton town detective Casey Duncan makes a terrible—and dangerous—discovery in the woods outside of town.

When experienced homicide detective Casey Duncan first moved to the secret town of Rockton, she expected a safe haven for people like her, people running from their past misdeeds and past lives. She knew living in Rockton meant living off-the-grid completely: no cell phones, no Internet, no mail, very little electricity, and no way of getting in or out without the town council’s approval. What she didn’t expect is that Rockton comes with its own set of secrets and dangers.

Now, in A Darkness Absolute, Casey and her fellow Rockton sheriff’s deputy Will chase a cabin-fevered resident into the woods, where they are stranded in a blizzard. Taking shelter in a cave, they discover a former resident who’s been held captive for over a year. When the bodies of two other women turn up, Casey and her colleagues must find out if it’s an outsider behind the killings or if the answer is more complicated than that...before another victim goes missing.

Casey Duncan returns in another heart-racing thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Kelley Armstrong.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

I enjoyed this one a lot.  It started with a bang and maintained a high level of excitement throughout the story.  This is the second book in the Casey Duncan series and I do recommend reading them in order since the events of the first book do play a role in this installment.  This book really kept me guessing right up until the very end.  I had a lot of fun reading this story and found that I never wanted to put it down.

I love the setting of this story because it is so different than the average mystery.  Rockton is such an interesting little town.  The residents of Rockton are such interesting characters and each one really adds something to the story.  I like the fact that everyone has their own story and it is usually different that what you would expect.  The little group of misfits that call Rockton home have really come together to form a community and it adds a nice tone to the story.

Casey and Will find a woman being held captive in a hole inside a cave as they take shelter during a snowstorm.  They are able to save the woman but the identity of her abductor remains a mystery.  Saving the woman is just the start of a very involved case that will put Casey and others in danger before everything is over.

The characters in this book were great.  Casey is very smart and has really committed herself to the town.  She is really starting to believe that she belongs and wants to keep everyone safe.  Dalton is dealing with his feelings towards Casey in addition to keeping the town's residents secure.  Being in a relationship is rather new for Dalton and he is still trying to figure things out.  I really like Casey and Dalton as as couple and I do appreciate the fact that their relationship does not overpower the mystery element of the story.

I would recommend this book to fans of mystery thrillers.  This story contains a complex mystery that had me turning pages as fast as I could.  There are quite a few twists and turns to keep things really interesting.  I can't wait to read more of this exciting series.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press - Minotaur Books via NetGalley.

The Casey Duncan Series

Book #1 - City of the Lost - My Review
Book #2 - A Darkness Absolute
About the Author

KELLEY ARMSTRONG graduated with a degree in psychology and then studied computer programming. Now, she is a full-time writer and parent, and she lives with her husband and three children in rural Ontario, Canada.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

7 comments:

  1. I love Kelley Armstrong and don't know why I haven't read this series yet. I love her Cainsville books and her Women of the Otherworld series helped fuel my love for urban fantasy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this does sound good. I've not read one of her mysteries before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this one, too! It's up on my blog as well. Lol. Great minds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read her books. I have two on my shelf that have been sittingB2B for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yay...I love a complex mystery, sounds like this author did great in writing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to try this series, I keep hearing nice things about it and I usually really like the author's writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently just finished a murder mystery and it reminded me of how little I read the genre, and how much I enjoy it! I like the sound of this one being different from others in terms of the setting. That always makes it more enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...