Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Review - A Wedding for Christmas by Lori Wilde @LoriWilde @avonbooks

A Wedding for Christmas by Lori Wilde
Series: Twilight, Texas #7
Harper Collins - Avon Books
Publication Date: October 25, 2016
Date Read: December 1, 2016
Source: Edelweiss


The whole town is ready for the holidays: The Cookie Club is baking, Main Street glitters with lights, the carolers sing . . .There’s even a Christmas wedding.

When bodyguard Ryder Southerland sees his best friend’s sister Katie at an L.A. Christmas party, he mistakes the slinky blonde for a celebrity stalker and tackles her. Then they tackle each other . . . at his place. The next morning, Katie’s gone, and Ryder tells himself it’s for the best. It isn’t. Now, one Christmas later, Ryder’s falling for the woman he’s been missing in the town he hasn’t missed at all . . .

Katie Cheek’s outgrown the romantic fantasies she had about Ryder when she was fifteen. Katie’s packed their hot night away in a box labeled “fling”—or tried to. But Twilight’s bad boy is the best man in her brother’s wedding. And up-close and personal, Ryder’s impossible to ignore. So Katie can either go into hiding—or surrender to Christmas magic.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I really enjoyed this book a lot.  I don't read too many holiday themed books but I do try to read at least one or two every year in a quest to get myself in the holiday spirit.  I really liked the last book from this series, I'll Be Home for Christmas, so I was eager to pick up the newest one in the series.  This book is actually the seventh in the Twilight, Texas series but it reads perfectly fine as a stand alone.  This was the kind of book that left me with a smile on my face by the time I reached the conclusion.

The book starts one year in the past when both Katie and Ryder were in L.A. and run into each other.  They have known each other for years but they now both adults and sparks immediately fly.  Fast forward one year and they both find themselves back in Twilight for Katie's brother's wedding.  The sparks are still there but neither of them are sure how to act on them or if they should.

I loved the characters.   Ryder and Katie both had a few issues to deal with from their past.  Ryder is best friends with Katie's brother and actually lived with the family during some of his teen years.  After a 15 year old Katie kisses Ryder, he joins the military and leaves the town.  They have both reached a point in their lives where they might be ready for something more.  I really enjoyed watching them learn to trust each other and start to open up.  They made a really great pair and the chemistry between them was off the charts.

This book really had a lot going for it.  I liked that there were a few things that happened that I didn't expect.  The secondary characters in the book were a lot of fun and everyone from Ryder's elderly neighbor to Katie's parents added soemthing to the story.  There were a few moments that I thought were quite humorous as well.  In the end, I thought this was a well rounded book with wonderful pacing.

I would highly recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance.  I haven't read too many books written by Lori Wilde but the ones that I have read have been consistently good.  I am looking forward to reading more from this talented author soon.

I received a review copy of this book from Harper Collins Publishers - Avon via Edelweiss.

About the Author

New York Times and USA Today best-selling author, Lori Wilde has sold seventy-eight works of fiction to four major New York Publishing houses. She holds a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Texas Christian University and a certificate in forensic nursing from Kaplan University. She is a member of the International Association of Forensic Nurses.

A popular writing instructor, Lori is a two time RITA finalist and has four times been nominated for Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice Award. She’s won the Colorado Award of Excellence, the Wisconsin Write Touch Award, The Golden Quill, the Lories, and The More than Magic. Her books have been translated into 27 languages and excerpted in Cosmopolitan, Redbook, Complete Woman, and Quick and Simple magazines. She lives in Texas with her husband, Bill, and her two New American Shepherds.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

9 comments:

  1. I'm trying to read a few holiday picks this year as well. Except most of mine have a horror element to them. Oh I forgot, I have two that don't which I am saving for the week of Christmas. Glad you enjoyed this one and it's totally off topic but I want the skirt Wilde is wearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very nice skirt. I will have to look for Christmas horror - it sound great!

      Delete
  2. I don't usually read Holiday stories because I had bad experience reading one before. But this story sounds interesting, and is absolutely perfect for this season. I'll definitely check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Holiday stories that don't focus too heavily on the holiday. It takes me out of the story if it becomes too much. This one was nicely done.

      Delete
  3. oh I am so glad to hear that this one was so wonderful to read!! I can't wait to pick it up. She does some of the best holiday themed romances. I do love this trope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have now read two of her holiday romances and really enjoyed both of them. I think you will enjoy this one!

      Delete
  4. Yes please! I love a story where the characters have history but things just haven't lined up and I've been wanting to try Lori Wilde forever. This sounds like tons of fun and somehow I've run out of holiday romances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that even though she writes a lot of series books they seem to work well as stand alones so you are okay to start wherever you like.

      Delete
  5. Now this sounds like the perfect enjoyable Christmas read. Something not too serious, but then also light-hearted and fun and easy to read. I also really like the sound of those characters. Brilliant review <3

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...