Friday, December 9, 2016

Review - Hawke by Sawyer Bennett @BennettBooks @readloveswept

Hawke by Sawyer Bennett
Series: Cold Fury Hockey #5
Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept
Publication Date: March 15, 2016
Date Read: December 4, 2016
Source: NetGalley

The Carolina Cold Fury hockey team proves that love is a power play. As Sawyer Bennett’s New York Times bestselling series continues, the league’s most notorious party animal gets blindsided by the one that got away.

Off the ice, elite defenseman Hawke Therrien enjoys his fair share of booze and good times. And why shouldn’t he? He’s worked his way up from the minor leagues and made himself a star. The only thing Hawke misses from that life is the pierced, tattooed free spirit who broke his heart without so much as an explanation. She’s almost unrecognizable when she walks back into his life seven years later—except for the look in her eyes that feels like a punch to the gut.

Vale Campbell isn’t the same girl she was at twenty. As crazy as she was about Hawke, her reckless behavior and out-of-control drinking were starting to scare her. She had to clean up her act, and that would never happen with Hawke around. Cutting him loose was the hardest thing Vale ever had to do—until now. Because she’s still crazy about Hawke. And if he could ever learn to forgive her, they just might have a future together.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

There's just something about a hockey romance that I cannot resist.  I am not even sure why that is because while I like hockey, I am not a huge fan or anything but I love these books.  I think that this book has just the right amount of sports worked into the plot to make everyone happy.  Hockey fans will love all of the hockey references but the sport doesn't take over the story either.  I found this book to really hard to put down and completely enjoyed everything about Hawke and Vale's story.

The story opens 7 years in the past when Hawke was a young hockey player trying to make it big in hockey and Vale meant the world to him.  Vale ended their relationship suddenly and never fully explained things to Hawke.  They have both moved on with their life when their paths cross at Cold Fury hockey organization where Hawke is the new star player and Vale has just started as a trainer with the team.  Neither one is fully prepared to revisit their feelings for each other.

I liked the characters in this book a lot.  Hawke was a big tough guy but he really seemed to know how to be there just when he was needed.  He could be very alpha but he seemed to feel things very deeply and his feelings for Vale were very intense.  Vale has changed a lot.  She has really grown up in the years since she broke up with Hawke and now her focus is on caring for her father.  She has a big heart but it takes some time for her to start to open up to Hawke again.

I thought the chemistry between Hawke and Vale was amazing.  From the moment they see each other again at the team meeting, it seemed like the sparks were flying.  They just seemed to work together so well.  The sexier times in the story well done.  I liked how much emotion was shown through the characters actions.  It was obvious to me that this pair had never quit loving each other early on in the story.

I would recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance.  This is the fifth book in the Cold Fury series but it could easily be read as a stand alone.  Fans of the series will enjoy seeing all of the characters that have been featured in previous books but knowledge of prior books isn't neeeded to enjoy this story.  I am looking forward to reading more from this series soon.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Random House Publishing Group - Loveswept via NetGalley.


Cold Fury Hockey Series
#1 -Alex
#2 - Garrett - My Review
#3 - Zack - My Review
#4 - Ryker - My Review
#5 - Hawke
#6 - Max - Coming December 2016
#7 - Roman - Coming February 2017
About the Author

Since the release of her debut contemporary romance novel, Off Sides, in January 2013, Sawyer Bennett has released more than 30 books and has been featured on both the USA Today and New York Times bestseller lists on multiple occasions.

A reformed trial lawyer from North Carolina, Sawyer uses real life experience to create relatable, sexy stories that appeal to a wide array of readers. From new adult to erotic contemporary romance, Sawyer writes something for just about everyone.

Sawyer likes her Bloody Mary’s strong, her martinis dirty, and her heroes a combination of the two. When not bringing fictional romance to life, Sawyer is a chauffeur, stylist, chef, maid, and personal assistant to a very active toddler, as well as full-time servant to two adorably naughty dogs. She believes in the good of others, and that a bad day can be cured with a great work-out, cake, or a combination of the two.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I have this on my Kindle and want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a nice romantic read. I just love a well done second chance romance.

      Delete
  2. I've read book one, but I do plan to continue with the series eventually. Love the second chances like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually started reading this series with book two. I still need to go back and read the first one.

      Delete
  3. I didn't read your review as I have this one myself... I am happy you gave Hawke 4 stars, though :) And 2nd chances are so sweet!!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a dork!! I have read Hawke already... I somehow thought you were already reviewing Roman o.O And yes, both Hawke and Vale were great to read about.

      Delete
    2. You are not a dork! Sometimes these covers start to get confused in our heads when they have a similar look to them. I do have Roman to read soon. Glad you also enjoyed Hawke and Vale's story.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...