Monday, November 14, 2016

Review - The Heiress and the Hothead by Sabrina Jeffries @SabrinaJeffries @Pocket_Books

The Heiress and the Hothead by Sabrina Jeffries
Series: Sinful Suitors #1.5
Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books
Publication Date: November 28, 2016
Date Read:  October 10, 2016
Source: NetGalley

Return to the beloved Sinful Suitors series from New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling author Sabrina Jeffries in this delightfully sexy winter-themed novella!

Stunned by the heat of an unexpected kiss on a cold winter’s eve, two strangers from vastly different worlds turn hotheaded principles into burning passion in Sabrina Jeffries’s charming yuletide story, The Heiress and the Hothead.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her
My Review

This was a nice short story.  I sometimes enjoy a complete story that can be read and a single sitting and this one had a lot of great things going for it.  This story is listed as being part of a series but it reads perfectly well as a stand alone.  I was pulled into the story almost immediately and found myself really enjoying myself as I read.

This story focuses on Amanda, who owns a cotton mill in America, and Stephen, who is working hard on factory reform.  Stephen assumes that Amanda's factory has to similar to the ones he has witnessed.  Amanda is a different kind of factory owner.  She actually cares about her employees and works hard to ensure their safety.  Amanda agrees to an interview with Stephen but only if he introduces her to some of his sources. 

I liked Amanda and Stephen as a couple.  They have immediate chemistry with each other from the start of the story even though they disagree on just about everything.  As they spend more time with each other, they both learn that things are not always as it seems.  I loved the sections of the book with the mistletoe - it was just a lot of fun.

My only complaint about this story was the oddly placed sex scene.  I don't feel like a sex scene is a necessity in a romance novel although I do enjoy them when they are well written and help advance the plot.  A sex scene squeezed into a book in an unnatural location isn't sexy.  This pair are in a burning building and it looks like they are going to perish.  Do they keep working to find a way out? No.  They decide that this is the perfect time to have sex.  It just didn't feel realistic to me at all.

I would recommend this novella to fans of historical romance.  I had a lot of fun reading the story even with the oddly place sex scene.  The characters were fun and intelligent.  I plan to read more of Sabrina Jeffries work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books via NetGalley.

About the Author

Sabrina Jeffries is the NYT bestselling author of over 50 novels and works of short fiction (some written under the pseudonyms Deborah Martin and Deborah Nicholas). Whatever time not spent writing in a coffee-fueled haze of dreams and madness is spent traveling with her husband and adult autistic son or indulging in one of her passions—jigsaw puzzles, chocolate, and music. With over 8 million books in print in 20 different languages, the North Carolina author never regrets tossing aside a budding career in academics for the sheer joy of writing fun fiction, and hopes that one day a book of hers will end up saving the world.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Yeah that does sound like an oddly placed sex scene!! I am not one for short stories most times but I do love being able to complete a book in a day and the satisfaction from that. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace! It just kind of took me out of the story because of its strangeness.

      Delete
  2. Talk about the wrong place and wrong time to have sex! Lol. That is definitely weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd definitely have the same issue with the sex scene! Maybe nothing says romance like dying in a burning building - what do I know? I do love Sabrina Jeffries and despite the weird detail I think this sounds like an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy this story so don't let the weird scene stop you from picking it up!

      Delete
  4. When sex calls, one must answer, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh boy...what a place. Although I have seen authors use the whole "we are about to die so lets have sex" hehe But I do love this author quite a bit, so glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen that as well but it just doesn't ring true to me. If I am about to die....I am going to try not to die. These are not sexy times...lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...