Monday, September 19, 2016

Review - Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews @ilona_andrews #katedaniels

Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels #9
Berkley Publishing Group - Ace
Publication Date:  September 20, 2016
Date Read: July 31, 2016
Source: NetGalley
Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…

Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar…

Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.

The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules…


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17792919-magic-bites


My Review

This book.  I don't even know if I can even come close to putting my love for this book into words.  This book was easily my most anticipated release of 2016.  I actually was trying to save a vacation day just so that I could stay home and read this book just as soon as it became available.  To say that I went into this book with high hopes would be an understatement.   This book was better than I could have even hoped it could be.  Once I started this book, I didn't come up for air until the final page.

This book has so many things going on.  Roland is up to his old tricks.  Kate and Curran are getting married.  Things look impossible and the impossible happens.  There is never a dull moment.  There are plenty of scenes that kick ass and many that make you grin.  There are even more than a few moments that will touch your heart.  I honestly don't know how this story fits together so perfectly...it just does.

As much as I loved this story, I really loved seeing all of these characters again.  It has been so much fun watching all of the characters in this series grow over the years.  Kate feel a bit darker in this book.  Her problems with Roland have become dangerous and she has to take a stand.  Kate is willing to bend a few rules if that is what it takes to keep everyone safe.  Curran is awesome as always.  I just love him.  Roman made me laugh.  Christopher surprised me.  Julie makes me worry.  I think I went through my whole range of emotions while reading this book because these characters feel so real to me. 

This book is brilliantly told.  I would say the pacing was perfect with the action scenes being perfectly placed.  There wasn't a single moment in the book where the story didn't feel completely genuine.  The excitement of reading a Kate Daniels book just never seems to stop.  This book did leave me really wanting to start the next book in the series right away since they leave you just enough information to know that things are going to get even more interesting very soon.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This is the ninth book in the series and they really should be read in order.  Each book in the series build upon the earlier stories so readers will lose something by skipping around.  Trust me, you don't want to miss any part of this wonderful series so just pick up the first book, Magic Bites, and start there.  This is a series that I never grow tired of and plan to read many times in the future.  The writing pair of Ilona Andrews has easily become one of my very favorite authors and they have outdone themselves with this book.  Bravo!

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group - Ace via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

The Series

Book #1 - Magic Bites
Book #2 - Magic Burns
Book #3 - Magic Strikes
Book #4 - Magic Bleeds
Book #5 - Magic Slays
Book #6 - Magic Rises
Book #7 - Magic Breaks 
Book #8 - Magic Shifts
Book #8.5 - Magic Stars
Click the links above to read my other review of this series!
 
About the Author

Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.

They have co-authored two NYT and USAT bestselling series, the urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge and working on the next volumes for both.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. I'm still in awe of this book. It gave me the feels from start to finish. I just want the next book now. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am kind of ready to read it again. It was just so good! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Yes, they nailed it with all that was going on in this book. Amazing how they keep such blends of internal and external conflict and action from becoming ho-hum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed with how each book in the series seems to get better and better.

      Delete
  3. AAGH!!! This sounds so good! I've been wanting to read this series for ages and right now I don't remember why I haven't! Good to know that books this late in the series are still so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should read this! I want to get this series in everyone's hands...it is just that good!

      Delete
  4. Woohoo! I'm just peaking since I'm reading this one right now but yay! I'm glad to see it was so good for you. I had been a couple books behind in the series and was nervous about jumping back in but so far not bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for everyone to read this book. It is fantastic! I hope you love it as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to start reading this one, Carole! And I'm so happy you gave it five stars! My copy arrived on my kindle this morning, but I haven't had the time to start reading it yet :)
    I hope you're having a great week!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is so good, Lexxie! I will be looking forward to your review once you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...