Monday, August 15, 2016

Review - The Sight by Chloe Neill @chloeneill @BerkleyPub

The Sight by Chloe Neill
Series: Devil's Isle #2
Penguin Publishing Group - NAL
Publication Date: August 16, 2016
Date Read:  August 6, 2016
Source: NetGalley

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampire novels, a brand new Devil's Isle Novel...

The paranormal war that engulfed New Orleans seven years ago is over.  But the battle for the city is just beginning . . .

Claire Connolly is a Sensitive, infected with magic when the Veil that divides humanity from the world beyond fell. Magic can easily consume and destroy a Sensitive, and if Claire's secret is discovered she'll be locked into the walled district of Devil's Isle along with every other Paranormal left in the city.

Bounty hunter Liam Quinn discovered Claire's secret, but refused to turn her in. Together they saved New Orleans from the resurgence of magic that nearly destroyed it. But now a dangerous cult is on the rise, and it will take both Claire and Liam—and magical allies within Devil's Isle's towering walls—to defeat the occult threat before magic corrupts them both...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

This was a good second installment in the Devil's Isle series.  I didn't like it quite as much as the first book in the series but it was a solid story that left me quite excited about where things are going.  This is a series that really needs to be read in order since this book picks up shortly after the first one left off with all of the familiar characters being a part of the story.  I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

One of the biggest strengths of this book is the world building.  I love the setting of New Orleans even though it is a different city than we have in our world.  Claire's lives in a New Orleans that has been changed by magic.  Those with magic are sent to Devil's Isle where they are kept away from everyone else.  The world building is really well done and I can clearly imagine this city that has been so deeply changed.

The characters are great in the series.  I love following a great cast of characters in a book series.  It is really fun to see how they grow and change over time.  This group of characters are really strong.  Claire is willing to sacrifice in order to help the people that live in the city.  Liam is dedicated to keeping the city safe and has taken Claire under his wing.  They both care for each other but try to stay friends because of Claire's magic.

I liked the overall plot of this book.  I thought that there was quite a bit of excitement in the story as Claire and Liam worked to try to find out who was behind the attack and then in their quest to stop them.  They found themselves in a couple of rather intense situations and I actually wasn't sure how things would work out.  There was a little twist at the end that really sets the stage for an exciting third book.

I would recommend this series to fans of paranormal romance and urban fiction.  I can't really make comparisons between this series and Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires series since I have only read the first book in that series.  I do know that this series is starting very strong and I am really looking forward to seeing where it goes. 

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Photo by Dana Damewood
Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--her husband and their dogs, Baxter and Scout.



Author Links:

5 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read a book by hers, and since this series is practically brand new, I might just add it to my list. Sorry this didn't live up to the first book, though. I hope the next books will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like paranormal romance and I've been wanting to read more urban fantasy. Even though you didn't love this as much as the first it sounds like it's a solid read and this sounds like a really interesting series. I'll definitely have to find the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really enjoying this series too, but agree about liking the first book a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I still need to read this one and I've had it in my review stack for a few weeks now. Sigh...I will hopefully get to it before the year is done! LOL! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really does sound good. I am glad you liked it and are looking forward to the next book--that always says a lot. And the world building sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...