Monday, August 1, 2016

Review - A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet @AuthorABouchet @SourcebooksCasa

A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet
Series: Kingmaker Chronicles #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publication Date: August 2, 2016
Date Read: July 23, 2016
Source: NetGalley

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014705-does-this-beach-make-me-look-fat

My Review

This one was a definite winner for me. I found a whole lot to like in this book. I thought that the blend of fantasy and romance was well done. I was sucked into this story right from the story and found the characters, the world, and the overall story to be fascinating. This was a really strong start to a new series.

I loved the world that this book was set in right from the start. It started out feeling almost like a historical novel but it was quickly apparent that this was a completely different world. A world full of magic and danger. I couldn't get enough of the magic in this story. I loved how the world building continued throughout the book and by the end I had a really good feel for the entire realm.

I loved the characters. Cat was amazing. She had a lot of spunk and I quickly figured out just how brave she really is. She is a clairvoyant but not just any clairvoyant - she is the Kingmaker. She has worked to hide what she is so that she can have control over her own life. It seemed that we learned a little bit more about Cat's powers with every chapter and I thought all of her abilities really made the book more interesting.

Griffin was pretty awesome as well. Even though he has the power to be Alpha of his realm, he is happy to let that title fall to his sister while he assumes the role of Beta. He seemed to want to see strong but fair leadership in his realm instead of the usual tyrant ruler. He isn't perfect...I mean he does kind of kidnap Cat and everything.

I liked Cat and Griffin together. The always seemed to have respect for each other and a level of trust. I really enjoyed their banter and the the chemistry between them. There were even a few rather steamy scenes that were very well done as well. I liked how they quickly became very protective of each other and how their actions really demonstrated their feelings.

I would highly recommend this book to others. It does have a strong romance theme but any reader that enjoys a bit of romance along with their fantasy will enjoy this captivating read. This is the first book by Amanda Bouchet that I have had a chance to read but I am already eager to get my hands on the next on in this series.

I received a copy of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review. 

About the Author
Author photo: © Richard Beban, 2015

Amanda Bouchet grew up in New England where she spent much of her time tromping around in the woods and making up grand adventures in her head. It was inevitable that one day she would start writing them down. Drawing on her Greek heritage for the setting and on her love of all things daring and romantic for the rest, her debut trilogy, The Kingmaker Chronicles, took form. She writes what she loves to read: epic exploits, steamy romance, and characters that make you laugh and cry.

A French master’s graduate and former English teacher, Amanda lives in Paris, France. She met her husband while studying abroad, and the family now includes two bilingual children who will soon be correcting her French.


9 comments:

  1. I haven't read much fantasy but I'm intrigued by the blurb and your enthusiasm for this one. Plus I've been wanting to push myself a bit more in terms of genres and this one looks like a good one to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading lots of positive reviews for this one. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a hit with me, too, Carole! I loved the Greek mythology mixed into the world the author created and the heroine was definitely fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you enjoyed this one, Carole. It is on my radar and I am looking forward to reading it too. The characters sound terrific and I really want to learn more about the world. Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh nice! Been seeing this a lot and it has me intrigued! So onto the wishlist it goes! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this one is on my radar for sure. After reading a couple of really good reviews, I knew I had to read it. I'm so glad you loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I was quite impressed with this too. I love the dynamic between Cat and the guys. I want to 2nd book already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh great review here!!! I just loved this book as well. The author handled the mix of fantasy and romance very well and boy were these two explosive together. I am very curious to see where this author takes this series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this cover around, but I've never read the description until now. I'm very intrigued, especially since the romance is heavy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...