Monday, June 13, 2016

Review - With Malice by Eileen Cook @Eileenwriter @HMHKids

With Malice by Eileen Cook
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Date Read: June 9, 2016
Source: NetGalley


Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last 6 weeks should be. She comes to discover she was involved in a fatal accident while on a school trip in Italy three days previous but was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident...wasn't an accident. Wondering not just what happened but what she did, Jill tries to piece together the events of the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life.   

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


My Review

I thought that this book was very well done.  I kept trying to imagine what it must be like to be in Jill's place throughout the story.  I really had no idea where the story was going at any given point in the book and I felt almost as desperate as Jill to learn the truth.  This was a story that really kept my interest and I found myself thinking about it even when I was reading.

Imagine waking up in the hospital with no clue what has happened to you.  That is the reality that Jill faces at the opening of the story.  Not only does she have no idea what happened to cause her to be in the hospital, it appears that she has no memory of the last 6 weeks of her life.  It turns out that it was a rather eventful 6 weeks and Jill is in the middle of a story being covered in the media all over the world.

Jill has to physically recover from her injuries while learning to come to terms with the events that have taken place.  She desperately wants her memory back so that she find out how things really happened.  Her frustration over her loss of memory and learning to compensate for her difficulty in finding the right words in speech as a result of a traumatic brain injury were very authentic.  I was rooting for Jill and felt as strongly as she did that she couldn't have done what she was being accused of doing.

I thought the story was rather unique.  Jill doesn't know what happened and neither does the reader.  I thought that the author did a great job of giving us just enough information to keep the interest level high.  I did hope for just a bit more for the ending but I was overall quite pleased.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  I think that this book will appeal to a lot of readers looking for something just a little bit different.  This is the first book by Eileen Cook that I have read but I would definitely pick up her work again in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Eileen Cook is a multi-published author with her novels appearing in eight different languages. She spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and one very naughty dog and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I almost picked it up last week, but I wasn't in the mood for mysteries nowadays. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kind of surprised by how much I really liked this one but I definitely have to be in the mood for a mystery.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. I really enjoyed the last mystery that I read that involved an unreliable narrator who was trying to figure out what had happened. It definitely sounds like it'd keep me turning pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of neat learning about Jill's past along with her. Unreliable narrators are fun to read if done well.

      Delete
  3. I plan to grab this as soon as my library gets it in. I wish there was a hold list already, but there isn't one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, the list will move quickly since it is really a pretty fast read. I will look forward to your review.

      Delete
  4. Completely agree!! I really enjoyed it and loved that I didn't know what happened. I did want more from that ending though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wanted a bit of a wow at the end and thought it could have been better.

      Delete
  5. I think this sort of thriller when the narrator and the reader are finding things out together. Nice and twisty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this one was done well. Jill was a great character and there were a lot of twists.

      Delete
  6. The description reminds me of Jennifer L. Armentrout's Don't Look Back. I really enjoyed that book, so maybe I'll check this one out sometime. :)

    Rachelle @ Shell's Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to read Jennifer L. Armentrout someday soon. I hope you get a chance to pick this one up, Rachelle!

      Delete
  7. I've not read anything by Cook, but I got this one too! It was unsolicited so I didn't really make time for it - I'm still deciding if I want to read it. I don't read nearly enough mystery or suspense novels, and I'm intrigued for sure. The amnesia aspect of the story isn't one that I like usually, but it works well in a mystery novel. We'll see if I can squeeze this one in!

    Great review, Carole. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that the amnesia aspect of the book was handled very well. It actually moved pretty quickly. I just wish that the ending would have been a bit more.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...