Friday, May 6, 2016

Top 5 Books That I Should Have Read By Now

My TBR list is about a mile and half long and if I am being honest with myself, I know that I will not get to all of them in this lifetime.  I have good intentions but I seem to add 5 new books to my pile for every one that I mark off.  There are a few books on my TBR list that I actually feel a little bit guilty for not reading yet for various reasons.  

I thought it would be fun to share my 
Top 5 Books That I Should Have Read By Now

#5 - 11/22/63 by Stephen King

I have really read very few Stephen King books.  I read a short story that he wrote while I was in high school and I didn't care for it.  I don't remember what the short story was but I didn't care for it at all so I avoided this author for years.  I have read one or two of his newer books and enjoyed them but I would like to read some of his more popular backlist.  11/22/63 is a book that appealed to me as soon as it was released.  I am really interested in anything to do with JFK's assassination plus I love time travel.  I bought this book for my kindle several years ago but it still sits there unread.  

#4 - First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

I remember when this book first came out and knew that I would want to read it.  I bought almost the whole series for my kindle when they went on sale several years ago but I still keep putting them off.  Everything about this series calls to me.  Hopefully, I make some time for this one soon.

#3 - To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I might be one of the only people to avoid reading this book in school.  I always thought of this book as something that students read because they had to - not because they want to.  Over the years, I have learned that many readers love this story.  I feel like I am missing out and hope to read it someday although I have no interest in reading Go Set a Watchman.

#2 - Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews

I am a card carrying Ilona Andrews fan club member.  (Just kidding - I don't even know if such a thing exists.  Tell me if it does and I might just join up.)  I have read the first book in this series twice and I still haven't moved forward in the series and I can't even tell you why.  I own this book both on audible and on my kindle so I really have no excuse.  

#1 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

I know.  I should be ashamed.  I haven't read Harry Potter.  To be fair, I'm old.  I didn't grow up with Harry Potter.  Instead, my kids grew up with Harry Potter.  I feel like I am the only book nerd out there that has not read these books and I think I would probably like them.  I have the whole series and I have plans to read them but haven't actually done it yet.  I am a little afraid that my expectations for this series has been set so high that I will be disappointed.  

What are some of the books that you feel like you should have read by now?

10 comments:

  1. I love Harry Potter! I'm nearly 43 now and I only started reading them when I was at the time book 5 was coming out. They are my ultimate comfort reads-laughs, tears and action! I read To Kill a mocking bird at school and didn't like it-well written-yes, but not the kind of book I read for fun. I haven't read the Stephen King one as I haven't really enjoyed his recent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are actually about the same age, Chuckles. I think that I would really like Harry Potter and don't know why I have put it off. I am pretty sure that if I were still a kid when the books came out I would have read them. I feel like I should give To Kill a Mockingbird a try but toss it aside if I don't care for it.

      Delete
  2. Harry Potter is so on my list. I am going to try and do the audios over the summer. Also Outlander is another I really should have read already. And my classic is Pride & Prejudice. I actually just got the audio so I can finally get to it! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked Pride and Prejudice out from the library a couple of years ago....and hated it. I returned it without even finishing it. I don't always get along with the classics. I do love Outlander though.

      Delete
  3. I too need to read First Grave on the Right! What a great list! (I cannot wait until you read Harry Potter!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m scared to admit which books I haven’t read. I grew up with Harry Potter, so I’ve loved it since I was a kid. To Kill A Mockingbird is another favorite. I used to read everything that Stephen King wrote, but I’ve gotten hugely behind in the past 10 years. I haven’t read 11/22/63 yet.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK...so I've read several on your list including "The First Grave on the Right" which is great and humorous and "11/22/63" which is monstrous and so worth the effort. I refuse to think about the books I'll never get read. The afterlife has to have a library right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have trouble narrowing it down to just five. Haha! You picked some good ones. Hope you get the chance to enjoy them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes to 4, 3 and 1. I read Bayou Moon a couple of years ago. I didn't enjoy it quite as much. But man, you need to read Charley Davidson! It's such a fantastic series!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow just five???? I could never do that, there are so many books I need to get read. I do want to try out Darynda Jones so much though. And yeah Bayou Moon is also on my list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...