Sunday, May 29, 2016

Review - I Kissed a Rogue by Shana Galen @shanagalen @SourcebooksCasa

I Kissed a Rogue by Shana Galen
Series: Covent Garden Cubs #3
Sourcebooks Casablance
Publication Date: March 1, 2016
Date Read: May 26, 2016
Source: NetGalley


Once she spurned the man…
When the Duke of Lennox hires Sir Brook Derring, England’s best investigator, to find his daughter, Brook intends only to rescue the lady and return to his solitary life. He deals with London’s roughest criminals every day of the week; surely he should be able to endure seeing his first love again—the perfect girl who broke his heart...

Now her life depends on him
Lady Lillian-Anne Lennox has always done her best to live up to her father’s standards of perfection—at the cost of following her heart. When she’s kidnapped and her perfect life is shattered, Lila has another chance. Together, Lila and Brook navigate not only the dark and deadly side of London, but the chasm of pride and prejudice that divides them.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

This was a rather nice historical romance.  This is the third book in the Covent Garden Cubs series and I have read them all but each one of the books can easily be read as a stand alone novel.  I would have to say that this book was my least favorite in the series but only by a slight margin.  I thought the story was a bit silly at times but I was kind of in the mood for silly so it worked out for me.

Lady Lila has been kidnapped.   Her father, a Duke, goes to Brook for help in finding Lila before it is too late.  Brook is successful in finding Lila quickly but soon realizes that she may still be in danger since she was targeted for the kidnapping and witnessed another crime while she was being held captive.  As a way to keep her safe, Brook agrees to marry Lila but plans an annulment as soon as her captors are found.

Lila seems rather spoiled at the start of the story.  As the daughter of a Duke, she has led a privileged life with servants to do things for her.  When she was younger and first encountered Brook, she wasn't very nice and liked to play with other people's emotions.  Brook has not forgiven Lila for crushing him when he proposed to her years ago but Lila has changed.  Some of her spoiled behavior really seems to come from the fact that this is how her life has always been.  She doesn't know how to do some tasks simply because someone else has always been there to do them for her so she hasn't had the chance to learn.

Brook had a hard time letting go of his anger towards Lila.  Even though he has changed in the years since he proposed, he doesn't seem to believe that Lila could have changed just as much even though it seems to be obvious.  When they flee to the country in order to hide from Lila's kidnapper, they have the chance to get to know the people that they have become since their initial meeting.

I liked Brook and Lila as a couple.  Brook is a genuinely nice man who wants to make sure that Lila is kept safe.  Lila is ready for a bit of independence from her father and has learned a bit of compassion from caring for her mother prior to her death.  They do have some great chemistry and there are more than a few sexy times in the story to keep the heat up.

The overall plot may have been a bit far fetched but it was still a lot of fun.  I did find myself thinking that certain parts of the story were rather silly and overdone but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story.  The suspenseful part of the story is really pretty minor and rather easily resolved.  This story is really about Brook and Lila falling for each other.

I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance.  I have read several books by Shana Galen and have enjoyed all of them so far.  I can't wait to read more of her work.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Sourcebooks Casablanca via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

The Series - Covent Garden Cubs
#0.5 - Viscount of ViceMy Review
#1 - Earls Just Want to Have Fun - My Review
#2 - The Rogue You Know - My Review
#3 - I Kissed a Rogue
About the Author

Shana Galen is the bestselling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals, including the RT Reviewers' Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Booklist says, "Galen expertly entwines espionage-flavored intrigue with sizzling passion," and RT Bookreviews calls her "a grand mistress of the action/adventure subgenre." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven years. Most of those years were spent working in Houston's inner city. Now she writes full time. She's happily married and has a daughter who is most definitely a romance heroine in the making. Shana loves to hear from readers, so send her an email or see what she's up to daily on Facebook and Twitter.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

7 comments:

  1. I still need to read historical romance!! This sounds fun even if a bit silly. Glad you still enjoyed it!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, a lady in distress. Sounds like my favourite kind of historical romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have really enjoyed this author in the past. I don't think I have picked up this series but I love her style of writing. She always has a fun set up. Glad you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this book around! I haven't read any of the books in the series, but this is an author whose books I've been keeping an eye on. I may try some of the previous books in the series, since I love HR and it seems like you enjoyed those more. :D Fantastic review, Carole!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can I not read this title and not add "... and I liked it" to the tune of Katty Perry. lol. I do enjoy a good HR, even if the plot is far fetched. As long as it's good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I was thinking the same thing as Christy! I can definitely see myself immersed in this one. I'm coming back around to reading HR, I just have to clear the ones I have on my shelf. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love HR, and I especially enjoy it when there are series which don't necessarily have to be read in order.
    Of course, because of Christy and Lekeisha, I know have that Kathy Perry song in my head o.O
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...