Monday, May 9, 2016

Review - Admiral by Sean Danker @silverbaytimes @AceRocBooks @FirstToRead

Admiral by Sean Danker
Series: Evagardian #1
Penguin Publishing Group -Roc
Publication Date: May 3, 2016
Date Read: May 3, 2016
Source: First to Read


FIRST IN A NEW MILITARY SCIENCE FICTION SERIES

“I was on a dead ship on an unknown planet with three trainees freshly graduated into the Imperial Service. I tried to look on the bright side.”

He is the last to wake. The label on his sleeper pad identifies him as an admiral of the Evagardian Empire—a surprise as much to him as to the three recent recruits now under his command. He wears no uniform, and he is ignorant of military protocol, but the ship’s records confirm he is their superior officer.

Whether he is an Evagardian admiral or a spy will be of little consequence if the crew members all end up dead. They are marooned on a strange world, their ship’s systems are failing one by one—and they are not alone.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

This was fun!  It wasn't mind blowing or anything but I certainly enjoyed myself while reading it.  There were definitely some exciting moments in the story and a few surprises.  I found myself wondering if the crew members would be able to survive their situation at the same time I was focused on the identity of the characters.  I really liked that the story took a few turns that I really didn't see coming that added a lot to the story.  This was a really strong start to a new series.

The Admiral starts the story by being resuscitated after his sleeper cell malfunctions.  He recovers and realizes that he is on a dead ship with three new recruits.  He assumes command and they start to take steps to ensure their survival.  They soon realize that the situation is worse than they feared and the planet isn't stable.  Will the group be able to work together to get off of this planet?

The characters were one of the main strengths of this book.  We never learn the admiral's name or really too much about him but I still really liked him.  He was a natural leader and was able to think fast and get the group through many situations.  The three recruits were all very different and their personas worked well together in the story.  Had they all been distrustful of the admiral it would not have had the same effect as it did with one very distrustful recruit.  I liked how they learned to become a team when necessary.

I thought that the pacing of the story was well done.  There are so many things that this group has to get through that there is never any time for the story to really slow down much at all.  I thought that the mystery of the admiral's identity was an interesting element.  I do wish that we had learned something a bit sooner than we did but he was a great leader without any background on him.  It added a nice mystery to the story.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of science fiction.  I didn't think that the science fiction in this story was heavy at all and this one should appeal to a wide range of readers.  This is the first book by Sean Danker that I have read and I plan to continue with this series as soon as the next book is released.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - Roc via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Sean Danker has been writing since he was fifteen. He read entirely too much Asimov in college, and now we’re all paying the price for it. His hobbies include biting off more than he can chew, feeling sorry for himself on Twitter, and telling people to lighten up. He is currently serving in the military on a base in North Dakota.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

8 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read more Sci Fi. It's not a genre I read much of but it's one I always enjoy. This one has caught my eye and I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed it! It sounds like a fun read and like one I should definitely pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard good things about this one! I am not super into sci-fi but if done right I will totally give it a try. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a military sci-fi reader, but I have a friend who just devours it! I'll have to pass this title on to her. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, this does sound right up my alley. Nice review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something to consider for when I'm in the mood for Sci-Fi.

    Thanks, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Carol! Now I am very intrigued about this book after reading your review it really looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and amazing. Plus I really love books that have a sci-fi element to them. Thank you for your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not read a lot of science fiction, although it's not for lack of wanting to. I am really looking forward to this one, especially after reading your review. Fun is good--and I could use a fun read. :-) Thanks for your great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see you enjoyed this one. I agree with all that you said! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...