Friday, April 15, 2016

Review - Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline

Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: April 12, 2016
Date Read: April 14, 2016
Source: NetGalley


Lisa Scottoline delivers another searing, powerful blockbuster novel that explores hot-button issues within the framework of an intricately plotted thriller. When a woman and her husband, desperate for a baby, find themselves unable to conceive, they decide to take further steps. Since it is the husband who is infertile, the heroine decides to use a donor. And all seems to be well. Three months pass and she is happily pregnant. But a shocking revelation occurs when she discovers that a man arrested for a series of brutal murders is her donor - the biological father of the child she is carrying. Delving deeper to uncover the truth, the heroine must face her worst fears, and confront a terrifying truth. Most Wanted is sure to be Lisa Scottoline's most discussed, bestselling novel yet.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I am a long time fan of Lisa Scottoline so it pains me to say that this book missed the mark for me.  I haven't read all of Ms. Scottoline's novels but I have read quite a few over the years and this one is my least favorite of the bunch by a lot.  I just found the entire plot of this book to be utterly ridiculous.  I really tried to just go with it but throughout the book there was a little voice in the back of my head telling me that nobody would do these things.  I had a hard time getting into this book because it was so unbelievable.

Christine and her husband, Marcus, have been through a lot in their quest for a child.  After learning that Marcus is infertile, they decide to use a sperm donor and for Christine to become pregnant.  Everything is going great until Christine sees a new story about the arrest of a serial killer who happens to look exactly like their donor.  Their life is suddenly in turmoil and they feel like they need to know if this killer is really their donor.  Would the traits to become a murderer be inherited?  Did he have a mental illness that wasn't disclosed?  They are full of questions.

Marcus wants to use the courts to find answers to their questions while Christine decides to use a more hands on approach.  The pair do not see eye to eye on how to handle this situation at all and their marriage may be in jeopardy.  Christine continues with her actions despite their disagreement.  Before you know it, she is investigating murders, visiting jails, and doing a lot of hands on research.

I didn't connect with any of the characters in this book except Griff, the grumpy lawyer that didn't have too big of a role in the story.  Marcus was a jerk for most of the book.  I get that he had issues to deal with because of his infertility and everything but he needed to be over that before Christine became pregnant.  Christine's connection with the donor was just odd.  One moment, I would think that I understood Christine and then she would do something off the wall and I would realize that I didn't get her at all.

I was also less than impressed by the mystery in the story.  I have a hard time believing that Christine would be able to figure out anything that the police and FBI couldn't.  She was reckless in her quest for the truth. When the answer to the mystery was revealed, it just needed to come out of nowhere and was rather unsatisfying.  Everything seemed to work out a little too easily in the end after all the issues in the story.

I was disappointed in this book.  It had some good moments but overall, it wasn't up to the level of story that I have come to expect from Lisa Scottoline.  I am still a huge fan of this author and plan to continue reading her work.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

© April Narby
LISA SCOTTOLINE is a New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-winning author of twenty-three novels. She has served as the president of Mystery Writers of America. She has 30 million copies of her books in print in the U.S., and she has been published in thirty-five countries. She writes a column with her daughter, Francesca Serritella, for The Philadelphia Inquirer, and those stories have been adapted into a series of memoirs. She lives in the Philadelphia area with an array of disobedient pets.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

8 comments:

  1. Oh that's a bummer! I was looking forward to this one mostly because I thought the premise sounded interesting. Doesn't sound like the execution was there though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really looking forward to this one as well. It was just so unbelievable!

      Delete
  2. I saw this one, but haven't had time. Yikes, when you can't buy into it, it's terribly hard to enjoy the rest of the story. I'm pretty sure I'd have similar issues. Thanks for taking it for the team, erm, I mean for reading and review the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this sounds pretty disappointing and unbelievable. That can always be a pain when reading especially if you have enjoyed the author before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of those, eh? I always find it odd when private citizens without any criminology background can solve a case so easily. Sorry this was a disappointment and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by this author, but then I don't really read a lot of mystery. Sorry it didn't live up to your hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Soooooooooooooo annoyed by this book. Why did Dom chase her down? Why? It makes no sense. She wasn't on to him?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I stumbled upon your blog because I have just finished Most Wanted and I was curious to see if other readers felt the story far stretched as well. There were so many holes in the plot, so many "come on, SERIOUSLY?" moments that I was glad when it ended!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...