Sunday, April 3, 2016

Meet the Authors: Penguin Teen on Tour


I am lucky enough to live in an area that hosts quite a few author events.  When I saw that one of the local libraries was hosting this event, I immediately made plans to attend with my teenage daughter, Savanna.  I have been slowly collecting the books to be signed at the event and showed up about an hour early to make sure that we had good seats.  I was kind of surprised that the event was more crowded than it was but it was held on Good Friday during the area's spring break so a lot of people may have been out of town.


I usually like to read the books before going to one of these events but I showed up at this one having only read one of the books which I honestly didn't care for very much.  I met up with a wonderful blogger that I met at a previous event, Rachell from Shell's Stories.  Be sure to check out her blog when you get a chance.  She writes awesome reviews and shares lots of interesting thoughts.  

All six authors sat on the stage and answered fun questions together.  I had a great time hearing about their characters and their writing process.  They had such a wide range of experiences and all had something fun to add.  I was really excited to read the book before coming to the event but by the time it was over my excitement had more than doubled.  
  
After the questions, we got to meet with each author to get our books signed.  Rachelle was kind enough to help me out with my camera so that I could get some pics with my daughter and the authors.

Rachel Hawkins

Rachel Hawkins is funny!  I just loved all of her answers during the Q&A portion of the evening and she was incredibly nice to both me and my daughter while she signed our books. 

Sabaa Tahir

I thought that Sabaa Tahir was very funny during the Q&A portion of the event.  She said that it took 6 years to get her book written and published.  She really seemed to be having a lot of fun which was fun to watch.

Karen Bao

I am still a bit shocked that Karen Bao wrote her first book in High School.  Impressive!  She is currently a college student and shared that the responsibilities of being an author along with a college student can be very difficult.

Alison Goodman

I enjoyed talking to Alison Goodman.  She is from Australia and my daughter loved her cool accent.  I talked to her a bit about how pretty her book was and she told me that originally the girl on the front was wearing different clothes but she made them change it since it wasn't right for the time period.  She was very interesting during the Q&A part of the night and seems like her books will be richly detailed.  I can't wait to read this one!

 April Genevieve Tucholke

April Genevieve Tuchoke was really pretty quiet during the Q&A part of the event, she did seem to be having a much better time signing the books though.  She has such a fun signature!

Alywn Hamilton

I was really impressed with Alywn Hamilton at this event.  When we got to the front of the line for her to sign our books, she was so nice and very outgoing.  She remembered my daughter raising her hand when they asked who wanted to be an author and talked to her a bit about it.   

My daughter and I had a great time at the event.  We didn't get any of our books personalized because we aren't quite sure whose shelf they are going to end up on.  They are on mine right now but I suspect that they will end up on my daughter's shelf in the future.   

22 comments:

  1. That looked like a really fun event and it's neat that you were able to learn more about the authors and get some one on one time. I think three of their books are on my wish list. Neat that you got mother-daughter time out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy that my daughter was able to go with me to this event. She love reading and going to book signings but she is incredibly busy. When Victoria Aveyard came to the library, I had to go by myself because she had play practice or something. It was great it worked out with her schedule.

      Delete
  2. Nice! I think I remember seeing you there now! Will definitely keep an eye out for you at other signings in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't remember me because I was making fool out of myself or anything :) I do that sometimes but I think I was pretty well behaved even though I had 2 cookies. I would love to connect at future events. I haven't meet a whole lot of book blogger in person and it is good to meet up and share ideas.

      Delete
  3. Oh my that looked like a great event!! So cool you get to go with your daughter. I gave a couple of those to read still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read most of these books. I hope to get to them soon. I had such a nice time with my daughter at the event. I love that she loves books almost as much as I do. You really can't beat bonding over books :)

      Delete
  4. Lucky, indeed. We rarely ever get events like this in my town. Usually, it's always in Toronto area or Vancouver. I would've loved to meet these authors as well - especially Alwyn Hamilton whose debut work really amazed me! Glad you had fun with your daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Rebel of the Sands. I was really impressed with her at the event. I am so glad that my daughter isn't too cool to hang out with mom.

      Delete
  5. oh my this looks fun!!! I rarely get to go to events like this, since they don't have many where I live. Especially since you got to spend some quality time with your daughter. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. Authors are like rock stars to me so listening to what they have to say is just a lot of fun. The fact that my daughter was able to go to this one was a huge plus.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a great group of authors! Looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you guys had a great time! I wish we had events like that around here :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that we don't get as many as some areas but there are enough author events in my region to keep me pretty busy.

      Delete
  8. This looks so fun! I wish I could have gone to this event, with my 17 yr old daughter. We are going to BEA and bought tickets to the author breakfast just so we could see Sabaa Tahir. It would have been much better to meet her in a smaller setting. Thanks for posting about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was really fun to listen to, Karen! This was a pretty small group. I talked to one of the library staff and she said that there were about 65 people registered for the event. I couldn't believe that there weren't more people there.

      Delete
  9. I wish the tour was coming to my town. So many of these authors I want to meet so badly! Looks like it was a fun time and sounds like so much fun as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an amazing group of authors! I couldn't believe that all of them were coming together when I first saw the info for the event.

      Delete
  10. Your panel pics are so great! I also love your descriptions of the authors! I didn't even think to describe them, I just talked about my experience meeting them. Thanks for taking pics and hanging out with me! Hopefully I'll see you in May. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being my photographer at the event! It is really nice to get some good pics with my daughter. I loved talking and look forward to seeing you soon :)

      Delete
  11. How fun, Carole! I am glad you and your daughter were able to attend. I love the photos and hearing about who all you met. I'm a little envious. :-) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved being able to share the excitement for this group of authors with my daughter. I am so happy that she loves to read as much as I do. It makes talking books a lot of fun at my house.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...