Monday, March 7, 2016

Review - Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke @apriltucholke @PenguinTeen

Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke
Random House Publishing Group -Dial Books
Publication Date: March 22, 2016
Date Read: March 5, 2016
Source: First to Read


Every story needs a hero.
Every story needs a villain.
Every story needs a secret.

Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.

What really happened?
Someone knows.
Someone is lying.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I hate to say that I am a little bit disappointed with this book.  That doesn't mean that this was a bad book.  Not at all.  It just wasn't what I had hoped it would be.  I had really high hopes for this book and bumped it to the front of my TBR pile so it is really quite possible that some of my disappointment is simply a result of unrealistic expectations.

This story is told from three point of views.  Wink is one of the Bell children.  She is a sweet girl with curly red hair who lives across the street from Midnight.  Midnight is a genuinely nice boy who has just moved into a crooked little house across the street from Wink with his father.  Poppy is a bully who likes to push people around and manipulate Midnight every chance she gets.

I did like the way the story was laid with with quick chapters told from the perspectives of the three main characters.  The story really felt like a fairy tale in a lot of ways.  The voices of the characters were very distinctive as well as interesting.  I wouldn't really say that I grew to like any of them though.  There was just no connection for me.  Of course, I am an old lady that barely remembers what it was like to be a teenager anymore.

I knew going into the book that there would be a secret and someone in the story might be lying from reading the description.  It is even on the cover of the book.  I guess I was hoping for some kind of epic event to happen but in the end I was never very excited about anything that actually happened in the book.  I would even say that I was a bit bored at times.  

I do think that a lot of people will probably enjoy this book.  It just didn't work for me.  This is the first book by April Genevieve Tucholke and I would be very interested in trying one of her other novels since there were aspects of her writing style that I did enjoy.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - Dial Books via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Photo by Sung Park
April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea and Between the Spark and the Burn, and the curator of the Slasher Girls and Monster Boys anthology. She lives in Oregon.

Author Links: Website | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a YA reader but I did enjoy We Were Liars where there were big secrets but I think I needed that big event to keep me interested. This doesn't sound like my kind of book either but it does sound like the author has potential. Sorry it wasn't what you were expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked We Were Liars too even though I figured out the big reveal early in the book. I just never felt invested in this story.

      Delete
  2. This is one that I want to read, but I'm not going to break my neck to get it. If it shows up in my library, I may give it a go. Sorry this one didn't deliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that this is one of those books that readers will either really enjoy or not. I will be curious to see what you think of it.

      Delete
  3. While I'm sad you didn't love it as much as you wanted to, I'm glad you read it before I bought it. Now I'll focus on buying her other books instead of this one. I have heard great things about Tucholke's writing, so maybe I'll give it a go sometime in the future, but for now, I'll stick to the paranormal, gothic-y books that I know I'll like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this book pre-ordered for the book signed but I cancelled it after reading the book. I know that I will never pick this one up again. Only a couple of weeks now!

      Delete
  4. I really just wanted to pick this up because that cover!! But I have seen a lot of disappointed reviews lately so I might have to hold on. At least there were aspects of the writing that were goo though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is beautiful. If you only knew how many books I have read just because of the cover...lol! I went into this with high hopes but it just never really hooked me.

      Delete
  5. That's too bad. It does sound like an interesting book though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling that a lot of people will love this but it just wasn't for me.

      Delete
  6. OK...now I'm wondering if I will like it. I have an ARC that has to be read this month. I do think I will like the alternating perspectives. I really liked Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by the same author, but I have heard the sequel is not as good. Better luck with your next read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to get this one read by a deadline as well but I have other books expiring earlier and bumped this one to the front of the list. I do hope that you will like it.

      Delete
  7. I love the cover. I am not sure whether I would read this from the description though, and so I am glad for your review. Even though you found it on the disappointing side, you have me curious. I may have to give it a try--I'll just keep my expectations in check. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to read books because of less than positive reviews so many times. The same things that I didn't like in this book may be exactly what another reader is looking for. I hope you enjoy it if you get a chance to read it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...