Friday, March 11, 2016

Review - Off the Grid by C.J. Box @cjboxauthor @PutnamBooks

Off the Grid by C.J. Box
Series: Joe Pickett #16
Penguin Publishing Group - G.P. Putnam's Sons
Publication Date: March 8, 2016
Date Read: March 9, 2016
Source: First to Read


New York Times–bestselling author C. J. Box returns with a suspenseful new Joe Pickett novel.

Nate Romanowski is off the grid, recuperating from wounds and trying to deal with past crimes, when he is suddenly surrounded by a small team of elite professional special operators. They’re not there to threaten him, but to make a deal. They need help destroying a domestic terror cell in Wyoming’s Red Desert, and in return they’ll make Nate’s criminal record disappear.

But they are not what they seem, as Nate’s friend Joe Pickett discovers. They have a much different plan in mind, and it just may be something that takes them all down—including Nate and Joe.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I enjoyed this one.  This was actually the first book by C.J. West that I have read.  I have no idea why I decided to jump into book #16 of a series.  Sometimes that kind of decision works in my favor and sometimes it blows up in my face.  This series seems to be one that readers can successfully enjoy this book without reading the previous books int he series although there were a few times in the story that I think I would have enjoyed it more if I knew the characters history.

This book had a lot of exciting moments.  One thing that I really liked was that even during the most action filled moment the story was still able to feel authentic.  I could completely see everything that happens in this book happening in real life.  I hope it doesn't but I didn't think it was impossible.  It is really rare to find a book that can really feel so real throughout the story.

I really liked Joe Pickett.  After meeting Joe and his family in this book, I definitely want to go back and read the previous book in this series.  Joe was just such a likable character and a genuinely good guy.  He deals with very stressful situations well and is able to remain calm when everyone else is panicking.  My favorite parts of the book were the parts that came from Joe's point of view.

Nate felt like more of a mystery to me.  I really did wish that I had the background from the previous books to learn his story.  Nate just didn't feel as interesting to me as Joe.  He some really neat skills and I loved his work in falconry.  I didn't like the parts of the book from Nate's perspective nearly as much.  The secondary characters were all very interesting and added a lot to the overall story.

I enjoyed the style of writing.  The pacing in this book was expertly done.  I liked that there were lots of different things happening during the story to really keep the excitement level high.  The characters were all wonderfully detailed and each had a distinctive personality that really came across in the story.  I thought that the descriptions in the book were fantastic.  I almost felt like I was there during some scenes in the book especially the one with the bear.

I would recommend this book to others.  Anyone who is already a fan of the Joe Pickett series will definitely want to get their hands on this book as soon as possible.  New readers will also find a lot to enjoy in this story.  I plan to read a lot more C.J. Box in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - G.P. Putnam's Sons via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Photo: © Michael Smith
C. J. Box is the author of the Joe Pickett novels, five stand-alones, and the short story collection Shots Fired. He has won the Edgar, Anthony, Macavity, Gumshoe, and Barry Awards, as well as the French Prix Calibre .38 and a French Elle magazine literary award. His books have been translated into twenty-seven languages. He lives outside Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter

7 comments:

  1. You did good jumping into book 16 and not having problems keeping up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good jumping into book 16 and not having problems keeping up. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little nervous about it but it worked out well. I may have liked the book a little more if I knew all the background info though.

      Delete
  3. That's good to know you can jump in with book 16! I've been wanting to try C.J. Box and this series but I've been worried about having to start at the beginning. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that I would have picked up on things that I didn't if I have read the previous books but the story was really fine jumping in as I did. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I used to be such a diehard start at the beginning of a series reader--until I began blogging. Luckily, a lot of mystery series don't require starting at the beginning, although sometimes it comes in handy. I'm glad to hear this one is one you can jump right into anywhere--especially since it's already so far into the series. This does sound good. I haven't read anything by C.J. Box before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to start at the beginning of a series. I feel wrong starting in the middle like I did with this one. Once I started getting books for review, I found that I just didn't always have time to always go back and start at the beginning and it usually works out okay.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...