Sunday, March 27, 2016

Review - He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker @kathleenatucker @AtriaBooks

He Will Be My Ruin by K.A. Tucker
Atria Books
Publication Date: February 2, 2016
Date Read: February 28, 2016
Source: Library


The USA TODAY bestselling author of the Ten Tiny Breaths and Burying Water series makes her romantic thriller debut with this heartpounding story of a young woman determined to find justice after her best friend’s death, a story pulsing with the “intense, hot, emotional” (Colleen Hoover) writing that exhilarates her legions of fans.

Twenty-eight-year-old Maggie Sparkes arrives in New York City to pack up what’s left of her best friend’s belongings after a suicide that has left everyone stunned. The police have deemed the evidence conclusive: Celine got into bed, downed a bottle of Xanax and a handle of Maker’s Mark, and never woke up. But when Maggie discovers secrets in the childhood lock box hidden in Celine’s apartment, she begins asking questions. Questions about the man Celine fell in love with. The man she never told anyone about, not even Maggie. The man who Celine herself claimed would be her ruin.

On the hunt for answers that will force the police to reopen the case, Maggie uncovers more than she bargained for about Celine’s private life—and inadvertently puts herself on the radar of a killer who will stop at nothing to keep his crimes undiscovered.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I was completely entertained by this book.  I picked this book up because of all of the great reviews that I had seen floating around the internet.  I felt a little left out at one point since it seemed like everyone but me was reading this book.  I had never read K.A. Tucker before but I decided that this would be as good of a place to start as any so I requested the book from my local library before it was even released.  My library quickly had a copy ready for me and I am happy to say that I enjoyed my first experience in reading this author.

This book was a mystery thriller that really kept me guessing.  I would think that I had everything figured out and knew where things were going only to decide that I had to be wrong a chapter later.  I changed my mind about what direction the story was going at least a dozen times while reading this book.  I think that the fact that this book was completely unpredictable was really one of the biggest strengths of the story.  It was a definite win for me.

I didn't immediately like Maggie.  She is a privileged rich girl who has had things come fairly easy to her.  I did like the fact that she was working and using her money to make the world a better place but she also knew how to use her money to get what she wanted.  I found myself really feeling for Celine who had to work to get ahead in life only to have it end prematurely.  My opinions of the characters changed with each chapter of the book.  I came to understand Maggie a little better and realized that Celine wasn't exactly what she appeared to be.  The secondary characters were great, especially Ruby.

This book held my interest well and I thought that it was very evenly paced.  I did like the overall writing style.  I did find myself really pulled into the mystery surrounding Celine's death.  I was really curious about her life more than anything.  I really enjoyed how Celine's journals helped to tell the story and gave her a voice even after her death.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a mystery that will keep them guessing.  I really enjoyed K.A. Tucker's suspense debut and am looking forward to reading more of her work in the future.

About the Author


K.A. Tucker is the author of the Ten Tiny Breaths and the Burying Water series. She currently resides outside of Toronto with her husband, two beautiful girls, and an exhausting brood of four-legged creatures.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one! I really loved it. It was my first KA Tucker book too. Loved Ruby! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby was awesome. I just loved her to death. I definitely want to read more of this author's work soon.

      Delete
  2. Yay! You liked it, too. I didn't take to Maggie right away, either. Fantastic mystery, though.

    Happy Easter, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure that I ever really liked Maggie all that much but I came to understand her and that was enough. It was a great mystery. Happy Easter to you Sophia!

      Delete
  3. I too keep seeing reviews of this one! Even my associate reviewer reviewed (Sophia Rose). It sounds good, but I am fearful to try it out.

    Shari @ Delighted Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, Shari! It was full of twists and turns that really kept me guessing until the end.

      Delete
  4. I was trying to figure out the mystery while reading also, and I think that's why I love it because I was right, wrong, right, wrong, so many times. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely stumped by this one. I would think that I had it figured out and then....nope.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read anything by this author either, but I have been seeing this book around a lot as well! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! This book was a great place to start with K.A. Tucker and I am glad that I picked it up.

      Delete
  6. I've been wanting to read this author for awhile but this one has caught my attention more than any of the others because it's more of a suspense. I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed this one! I can't wait to read it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what got me, Katherine. I love suspense novels so I had to give this one a try. I hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  7. This book threw me for a loop. It's so different from her previous work. I did enjoy it as well though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want to read her previous books because I have heard that they are very different and I am more than a little curious.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo! Glad you enjoyed it. It's a bit different than her other stuff. As much as I love them, I'm glad this was your first experience with her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this was a great place to start with K.A. Tucker. I had no idea what to expect and enjoyed it quite a bit.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...