Friday, March 18, 2016

Review - Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben @HarlanCoben @DuttonBooks

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
Penguin Publishing Group -Dutton
Publication Date: March 22, 2016
Date Read: January 22, 2015
Source: Edelweiss

#1 New York Times bestseller Harlan Coben delivers his next impossible-to-put-down thriller

In the course of eight consecutive #1 New York Times bestsellers, millions of readers have discovered Harlan Coben’s page-turning thrillers, filled with his trademark edge-of-your-seat suspense and gut-wrenching emotion. In Fool Me Once, Coben once again outdoes himself.

Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya’s husband, Joe—who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier. The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to? To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband—and herself.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

 My Review

I loved this book!  I am a huge fan of Harlan Coben's work and have been so for years.  I have enjoyed some of his books more than others but I have yet to come across one that I didn't like.  I have come to expect a few things from a Harlan Coben book over the years.  I love the twists and turns found in his stories and I really enjoy seeing Mr. Coben's sense of humor work its way into the books.  This book exceeded all of my expectations and even through in some things that I hadn't expected.  This book is one of Coben's finer novels in my opinion.

This book opens with a bang.  Maya is at her husband's funeral.  He was murdered and his killer has yet to be caught.  Maya's young daughter isn't even old enough to understand what is going on.  I was immediately drawn to Maya.  I couldn't even imagine what it would be like to be in her position.  The police are still questioning her about what she saw when her husband was killed.  They are relentless and don't seem to want to give her any chance to grieve her loss.  Maya has lost a lot.  Her sister has also recently died.  It really seems like Maya has experienced more tragedy than anything else recently.

After her husband's funeral, Maya's friend suggests that she get a nanny cam to keep an eye on her daughter's caretaker.  She puts the device in her home but when she checks the video she can't believe her eyes.  She finds her husband who is supposed to be dead on the video with her daughter.  Maya finds herself with more questions than answers and she starts taking steps to find out what is really going on.

This book took me to places that I never expected and that is what made it so wonderful. Everything that Maya learned just brought up more questions.  There were times that I thought I knew where the story was going only to be quickly proven wrong and be pulled into another direction.  The way the story was told worked well and the plotting was very detailed.  We spend the entire time with Maya and see all of the steps that she is taking in her own quest to learn the truth.  I love a story that can keep me guessing and I was completely shocked by the things that I learned by the end of the story.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  I really think that any reader who enjoyed a cleverly plotted book filled with twists and turns will enjoy this one.  I plan to continue to read Harlan Coben's work and can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Publishing Group - Dutton via Edelweiss for the purpose of providing an honest review.

Book Trailer


About the Author

HARLAN COBEN is the internationally bestselling author of more than twenty previous novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers The Stranger, Missing You, Six Years, Stay Close, Live Wire, Caught, Long Lost, and Hold Tight, as well as the Myron Bolitar series and a series aimed at young adults featuring Myron’s nephew, Mickey Bolitar. The winner of the Edgar, Shamus, and Anthony Awards, he lives in New Jersey.

Author Links: Website | Facebook | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. He's another author that I would like to try one day. I just read another great review for this book yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give his books a try. I just love them to pieces.

      Delete
  2. Sadly, I've never read a book by Mr. Corben. I'm a bit of a mood reader when it comes to mystery, but give me a romantic suspense, and I'm there. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up one of his books on a whim years ago and haven't looked back. I am always in the mood for a new Harlan Coben book. I guess I am more of a mood reader with anything romantic these days.

      Delete
  3. I've only read one book by Coben and I really enjoyed it. This does good and I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Carole. I will definitely be adding it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a talented author. I hope that you do get a chance to read this one.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing surprised in stories...especially when you least expect it. Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His books take so many twists and turns that it is nearly impossible to figure out where everything is going. I love a shocking ending.

      Delete
  5. From your review, this sounds like something really good and appealing, and I do believe it is. However, from this trailer, it seems to me like it is quite disturbing.
    Does it have any triggers or sth that is not for people with a weak stomach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think that this book was particularly violent or anything. I do admit that I tend to like books with a lot of blood and violence and do read a bit of horror. I wouldn't consider this one to have any more than most mystery thrillers but there is a bit.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...