Monday, March 21, 2016

Audiobook Review - The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield @richard_fifield @BlackstoneAudio @audiobkjkbx

The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield
Narrated by Kathleen Early
Gallery Books / Blackstone Audio
Publication Date: February 2, 2016
Date Read: March 15, 2016
Source: Audiobook Jukebox


This snappy, sassy redemption story set in small-town Montana is filled with an uproarious and unforgettable cast of characters you won't want to leave behind.Welcome to Quinn, Montana, population: 956. It's a town where nearly all of the volunteer firemen are named Jim, where the Dirty Shame-the only bar in town-refuses to serve mixed drinks (too much work), where the locals hate the newcomers (then again, they hate the locals, too), and where the town softball team has never even come close to having a winning season. Until now.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

My Review

I am still not sure how I feel about this book.  I loved parts of it but thought other parts were a little too much.  And that ending.  I can't even.  I was really hoping that everything would pull together for a feel good kind of ending.  It wasn't a feel good ending.  It was shocking and it broke my heart.  I really have struggled with how to rate this book.  I was really somewhere between a 3 and a 4 for most of the book.  When I take the ending into consideration, I really have to go with 3 stars for this one.

This book has one of the most colorful cast of characters that I can remember reading.  Some of these characters were rude and abrasive most of the time.  I did feel that the characters were a bit over the top at times.  I didn't dislike most of the characters but I didn't feel any kind of connection to the majority of them either.  There were a few stand outs in the cast that did get to me by the end of the story.  Laverna took a long time to warm up to but once I understood her, I grew to like her.  Bucky was awesome,  Jake was perfect and I fell in love with him almost instantly.  Rachel was really pretty easy to like as well.

The majority of the book was told from Rachel's point of view.  Rachel left her hometown of Quinn in disgrace.  She is coming back after being gone for years because she wants to make amends as part of her recovery.  Rachel has changed and is really a better person but she did a lot of terrible things while she was growing up in Quinn.  She has a lot of patience and slowly works to change her life.  She even plays for The Flood Girls even though she isn't a very good softball player.  Watching Rachel make new connections and become a part of the small community again was interesting to watch.

I did enjoy the narration in this audiobook.  Kathleen Early did a fantastic job with a large cast of characters.  Each character had a distinctive voice and was able to deliver some rather colorful dialog quite convincingly.  I thought that she did a great job in capturing the emotions of the characters.  Rachel had a lot of really high points and some rock bottom moments in this book and I really felt her joy and her pain.  I will definitely look for more audiobooks narrated by Kathleen Early.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a story set in a small town with quirky characters.  There is a lot more to the story than that but the characters are really the basis of this story.  I did enjoy Richard Fifield's debut novel and plan to check out his work in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Blackstone Audio via Audiobook Jukebox for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Richard Fifield earned his MFA from Sarah Lawrence College in upstate New York. For the past twenty years he has worked as a social worker for adults with intellectual disabilities, while volunteering as a creative writing teacher in Missoula, Montana.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter

20 comments:

  1. This is one that has been on my radar. The sound of the ending has me nervous though!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ending really made me feel things though so that is a very good thing in a novel. I just didn't like the feelings that it made me have.

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting, not sure it's for me though :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a different kind of story with really interesting characters.

      Delete
  3. I've been on the fence about this one as the blurb had me wondering if the characters would just be too much. It sounds like they would and I don't love the sound of that ending! I do like the idea of Rachel trying to fit back into her hometown and make amends. I'll definitely have to look for more from this author but I think I'll skip this one - at least for now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine! I really had a hard time deciding how to rate this one. I just felt so depressed by the ending of the book that I had to go with 3 stars. I do think that a lot of people will love this one.

      Delete
  4. oh I do love and adore a colorful cast of characters in a book!!! Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book had one of the most interesting group of characters that I can remember reading about.

      Delete
  5. I like stories of redemption like this. I curious about the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing that I really liked about the ending was that it was completely unexpected.

      Delete
  6. I remember wanting to read this when it first came out. I'll have to put it on my wish list at the library. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad that I read it. The audiobook was very well done. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Hadn't seen this one around before. I love small town and quirky characters. Thanks for the caution that there is over the top stuff and the ending might not be satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is full of quirky characters but it some ways they were too much. It did have some really good points.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, three stars. Seems like Monday was a good day for reviews of meh reads. I'm glad the audiobook narration was great! I haven't tried audiobooks but I do want to, in the future. :D

    Anyway! Great review! I hope your next read is better. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to listen to audiobooks. I am able to listen to them at work sometimes so I am listening to more than ever lately.

      Delete
  9. The description of this book makes it sound like it should be hilarious. I wouldn't have expected a heartbreaking ending at all. You've got me curious about this one, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book definitely had its funny moments. I didn't expect the ending either.

      Delete
  10. :( it's sad when the ending doesn't really bring a complete resolution, Carole. And it's so hard to write 3-star reviews! You did great, though :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexxie! I like unexpected endings in most cases but this one just left me heartbroken.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...