Thursday, February 25, 2016

Review - The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum by Kirsten Weiss @KirstenWeiss @midnightinkbook

The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum by Kirstin Weiss
Series:  A Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum Mystery #1
Midnight Ink
Publication Date: March 8, 2016
Date Read: February 10, 2016
Source: NetGalley


When Maddie Kosloski’s career flatlines, she retreats to her wine-country hometown for solace and cheap rent. Railroaded into managing the local paranormal museum, she’s certain the rumors of its haunting are greatly exaggerated. But a new ghost may be on the loose. A fresh corpse in the museum embroils Maddie in murders past and present.

With her high school bully as one of the officers in charge, Maddie doubts justice will be served. When one of her best friends is arrested, she’s certain it won’t be.

Maddie grapples with ghost hunters, obsessed taxidermists, and the sexy motorcyclist next door as outside forces threaten. And as she juggles spectral shenanigans with the hunt for a killer, she discovers there truly is no place like home.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

What a fun book!  I am not really sure what it was about the book that first caught my attention. The word "paranormal" in the title automatically made me take a second look but I also really like the cover.  I hadn't read a cozy mystery for years before picking up this book so I was also wanting to read something a little different from my normal pick.  I am so glad that I decided to read this book because it was an incredibly enjoyable read in the end.

This book ended up being heavy on the cozy and very light on the paranormal.  That was fine with me since I read a lot of paranormal and was wanting more of a cozy mystery anyway.  The Paranormal Museum that was featured in the book was a fun setting with a lot of interesting exhibits to really set the atmosphere.  I am not sure that I would ever want to set foot in the scary doll room.

I really liked the characters a lot.  Maddie is trying to figure out what her next move will be when she is pushed into managing the museum for just a little while.  When she goes to see the museum with her friend, Adele, they find a body just outside the door.  Maddie soon finds herself trying to find out what actually happened to the victim when her friends is accused of the crime.

This book did a lot of things really well.  There were times that the book made me chuckle with some of the more outrageous characters.  There was more than a few crazy moments.  The mystery was interesting and I wasn't quite sure who the culprit was until the end.  There was a touch of paranormal which added a bit of fun too.  I thought that the book was very well balanced.

I liked the way the book was written.  The pacing of the story was well done with enough build up leading to the more exciting moments.  I found myself quickly turning pages and never felt that the book dragged at any spot.  The characters were all very vivid and unique with a wide range of individuals represented.  Even the cat from the museum had a spunky personality.

I would recommend this book to fans of cozy mysteries.  This is the first book by Kirsten Weiss that I have read but I wouldn't hesitate to read her work again in the future.  I will definitely be sure to read any future books featuring this cast of characters.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Midnight Ink via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Kirsten Weiss worked overseas for nearly fourteen years, in the fringes of the former USSR and deep in the Afghan war zone. Her experiences abroad not only gave her glimpses into the darker side of human nature, but also sparked an interest in the effects of mysticism and mythology, and how both are woven into our daily lives.

Now based in San Mateo, CA, she writes paranormal mysteries, blending her experiences and imagination to create a vivid world of magic and mayhem.

Kirsten has never met a dessert she didn’t like, and her guilty pleasures are watching Ghost Whisperer reruns and drinking good wine.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. I love the cover on this book and have wanted to read it for quite some time. It's nice to know it's "light"' on the paranormal, even though I really like that element a lot. I am sure I will pick it up at some time. Great review and glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a really fun cozy mystery. The paranormal element were handled well and not overdone. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. A good paranormal cozy mystery sounds good to me. I'm picky when it comes to this genre, so I tend to stick to the more noir sub-genre, but I do like some fun too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the mood for a cozy and this one filled that need well. I haven't read that genre for a long time and it was nice to jump back in. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you liked this one! I'm on the blog tour for this one in a few weeks and thought it looked really fun as well. It definitely sounds like it lived up to its potential and was just a really fun read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking for your review, Katherine. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. I thought it was well done.

      Delete
  4. This sounds fun! I hadn't heard of it but I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really nice easy read. It fit into my reading schedule perfectly when I was looking for something light.

      Delete
  5. I hope to read this one. I was drawn to the title initially, I admit. I am glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you enjoy this one when you get a chance to read it. The title is pretty awesome in my opinion.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...