Thursday, February 4, 2016

Audiobook Review - Voyager by Diana Gabaldon @Writer_DG

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon 
Narrated by Davina Porter
Series: Outlander #3
Dell / Recorded Books
Publication Date: December 1, 1993 (print) & January 24, 2007 (audible version)
Date Read: January 28, 2016 (2nd read)
Source: Purchased
Length: 43 hours 51 minutes

Diana Gabaldon's magnificent historical saga, begun with Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber, continues with this New York Times best seller. Set in the intriguing Scotland of 200 years ago, the third installment in the romantic adventures of Jamie and Claire is as compelling as the first. Now that Claire knows Jamie survived the slaughter at Culloden, she is faced with the most difficult decision of her life. She aches to travel back through time again to find the love of her life, but, in order to do that, she must leave their daughter behind. It has been 20 years since she and Jamie were forced to separate. Can she risk everything, maybe even her life, on a gamble that their love has withstood the long, rigorous test of time?

Diana Gabaldon's powerful, witty, and heroic characters lend themselves well to the rich, melodic narration accorded them by Davina Porter. Under her spell, listeners find themselves transported back through time to exciting, faraway places alive with people they would enjoy knowing.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

After finishing the audiobook for the previous book in this series, Dragonfly in Amber, I found it very hard to move on to something else.  My mind was still with Jamie.  Even though I had planned to take a bit of a break between books, I ended up waiting only a couple of weeks before starting Voyager.  I remember falling in love with this book the first time I read it and I am happy to say that I still am in love.

My teenage daughter asked me what this book what about and I really had a hard time answering that question.  It is about so many things.  Mostly it is about Jamie and Claire.  I love the fact that in this book that are no longer as young as they were in earlier books.  They are in their 40's and have done a bit more living.  I think that their maturity really shows in how they handle everything.

This pair have both lived a remarkable lives up to this point.  There were high points in this book and low points but beyond everything their love for each other never waivers.  I think that the biggest strength of this book is how clearly the characters' emotions are felt on the page.  The scene in the print shop made my heart melt.  I have read the book before so I remembered that scene but it still got to me.

This book is long.  There are so many different things happening in this book and after one situation is dealt with they move on to the next one.  I did start to feel a bit exhausted from this book towards the end.  I still enjoyed every moment but I was starting to feel like I might deserve a medal once I reached the end.  I do feel like this book has a more natural stopping point than the previous book.  I plan to take a bit of a break before jumping into the next audiobook although I don't plan to wait very long.

The narration for this audiobook was nearly perfect.  Davina Porter is the perfect choice for this series.  She is Clair and Jamie and all the other characters to me at this point.  I never tired of listening to her voice and sometimes listened for up to four hours per day.  I am amazed by how well this narrator is able to perform so many different voices and accents.  I always knew exactly who was speaking and felt myself being pulled into the story.  This audiobook is truly a wonderful way to experience this novel.

I do highly recommend this book.  This is not a series that you would want to read out of order and I don't think that this book would work at all as a stand-alone novel.  Anyone who has enjoyed the first two books in the series will not want to miss this installment.  This is the kind of story that fans read and re-read and find enjoyment in it every time.


About the Author

Photo: © Nancy Castaldo
Diana Gabaldon is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the wildly popular Outlander novels—Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes (for which she won a Quill Award and the Corine International Book Prize), An Echo in the Bone, and Written in My Own Heart’s Blood—as well as the related Lord John Grey books Lord John and the Private Matter, Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, Lord John and the Hand of Devils, and The Scottish Prisoner; one work of nonfiction, The Outlandish Companion; and the Outlander graphic novel The Exile. She lives in Scottsdale, Arizona, with her husband.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

10 comments:

  1. I somehow have not even started the series despite how many people love it. I'm an intrigued by how the relationship has continued as the characters have grown. I'm going to have to get over my fear of the size of this series and get the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These books are a time investment for sure. My family still remembers when I read "the bricks". That was the term that they used for this book the first time I read it - in hardcover. I almost feel like these characters are my friends.

      Delete
  2. I really need to get started on this series! I had planned to read it over the holidays, but that didn't happen. I'm not sure I'm up for another long audio right now, so I'll go with my Kindle book for the first one and see how that goes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series makes me really appreciate my kindle. I read this book in hardcover the first time and it was heavy. I don't mind longer books with my kindle. I know what you mean about not wanting to jump into another long audio....I am listening to a much shorter book right now.

      Delete
  3. I still need to start this series :/ Glad to hear you're enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am liking it the second time around. I really want to finish the series but waited too long after the first four books to feel good about moving forward without a re-read.

      Delete
  4. You are making me excited to start this series. I have the first few books I got on sale and I am excited for them but very intimidated! Great review !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you like this series when you get to it. These books can be intimidating but I love them.

      Delete
  5. Outlander is one of my favorite series, Carole, and as you said, I think what keeps drawing me back is Claire and Jamie! They are very realistic, and I love that their love for each other continues to be so strong. Great review :)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire and Jamie are both amazing characters. I do agree that they are very realistic characters with flaws. The way that their feelings for each other are so vividly described in this series is simply wonderful.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...