Sunday, February 21, 2016

Audiobook Review - The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West @KasieWest @IdealAudiobooks

The Fill-In Boyfriend by Kasie West
Narrated by Shannon McManus
HarperTeen / Ideal Audio
Publication Date: May 5, 2015 (print) & June 1. 2015 (audio)
Date Read: February 14, 2015
Source:Dreamscape Media via Audiobook Jukebox


When Gia Montgomery's boyfriend, Bradley, dumps her in the parking lot of her high school prom, she has to think fast. After all, she'd been telling her friends about him for months now. This was supposed to be the night she proved he existed. So when she sees a cute guy waiting to pick up his sister, she enlists his help. The task is simple: be her fill-in boyfriend— two hours, zero commitment, a few white lies. After that, she can win back the real Bradley.

The problem is that days after prom, it's not the real Bradley she's thinking about, but the stand-in. The one whose name she doesn't even know. But tracking him down doesn't mean they're done faking a relationship. Gia owes him a favor and his sister intends to see that he collects: his ex-girlfriend's graduation party — three hours, zero commitment, a few white lies.

Just when Gia begins to wonder if she could turn her fake boyfriend into a real one, Bradley comes waltzing back into her life, exposing her lie, and threatening to destroy her friendships and her new-found relationship.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


This book made me feel incredibly old. I read a lot of YA books. I have a teenager and we like to talk about books every once in a while. I have seen this book floating around internet and thought it would be one that I would enjoy.  I think that the target audience for this book would really enjoy.  My daughter would most likely love it.  I thought it was okay but during much of the story I kept wondering why anyone would do the things they were doing.

Gia is dumped by her boyfriend, Bradley, in the parking lot as they are going into her senior prom.  She is able to talk another boy waiting in his car to fill-in for Bradley and take her to the prom.  She doesn't want her friends to know that she was dumped because she thinks that they may just think she made Bradley up completely.  Things take off from there and the pair develop a nice friendship that could lead to more.

I couldn't help but wondering why it was so important what Gia's friends thought since she is only weeks away from graduating.  I do remember how important my friends were at that age but as an old lady I know that she will not see most of those people again except for on Facebook.  Most of the problems in this book could just be solved if she quit worrying about what everyone else thinks.

There were some cute moments in the book.  The fill-in was adorable at the prom and I loved Beck and the rest of his family.  Gia's family was a nightmare in that perfect Barbie sort of way.  The friends that Gia was trying so hard to impress were very hard to like.  The time spent with the fill-in and his family really made up for most of the negatives.  He was just such a nice guy.

I like the narrator quite a bit.  Shannon McManus capture Gia perfectly.  I thought she did a great job with all of the voices but she really became Gia.  The pacing of her reading was nicely done and I think she captured the emotions of the characters very well.  It was a pleasant listening experience and I would certainly listen to her work again.

I would recommend this book to others.  I think that teenagers and young adults will really enjoy it.  This is the first book by Kasie West that I have had a chance to read but I would pick up more of her work in the future.

I received a review copy of this audiobook from Dreamscape Media - Ideal Audiobooks for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author
Photo by Stephanie Ryan

Kasie West lives with her family in central California, where the heat tries to kill her with its 115-degree stretches. She graduated from Fresno State University with a BA degree that has nothing to do with writing.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. This does sound cute but I have a feeling my thoughts would be very similar to yours. I don't read a lot of YA - especially YA contemporary fiction - but the few I have read I've wanted to sit the character down and have a chat about perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I guess I really don't read too much YA contemporary fiction either so maybe that it the problem. It is so funny how our thoughts change as we age. I wouldn't want to go back to high school and I kind of like my old lady attitude.

      Delete
  2. Oh boo. I was hoping to hear you love this one since i have it. Still I get that sometimes certain YA stuff seems like I am too old for it. I have had that happen a good number of times already. Glad you will still pick up more of her stuff though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was okay. You may like it much more than I did. It was a pretty quick read but I did want to sit these teens down and have a mom talk with them.

      Delete
  3. Oh no. I've loved all of Kasie's books I've read, but haven't got to this one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, 3 is a good rating so I did like the book. I do hope that you like this one a bit more than I did.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I've seen this book around quite a bit since it came out but I could tell by the synopsis alone that it wasn't for me. Glad you liked it, even if you didn't love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty quick read. I think that older teens will like it a lot more than I did.

      Delete
  5. I have this problem all the time with certain YA books. Mostly, the "cute" ones. I like my YA to extend to every age. I understand that the target audience is young-adults, but just like children's and MG, YA can be fun for all ages. Still, it makes me question a lot of things, after reading an incredibly annoying book that involves teens making dumb decisions (which we all did when we were that age). But, still.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be too old for the cute YA books. I was an idiot as a teenager so I think a lot of these stories are very believable. Maybe I just hate thinking about all the dumb things that I did at that age.

      Delete
  6. The Distance Between Us was the first (and only) contemporary I've read of hers. I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to get to this one sometime soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check that one out. I had wanted to try this author so when I saw the audiobook available for review I grabbed it.

      Delete
  7. Haha! It's true that as we mature, we start to care much less about what other people think as long as we're happy and doing our own thing :) Some YA make me feel old, too, so I may just skip this one. I like feeling young;)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Lexxie! It was kind of hard for me to remember when I cared about some of the things that they were worrying about in this book. I do feel young...most of the time,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...