Friday, January 29, 2016

#Review - You by Caroline Kepnes

You by Caroline Kepnes
Series: You #1
Atria / Emily Bestler Books
Publication Date: September 30, 2014
Date Read: December 25, 2015

From debut author Caroline Kepnes comes You, one of Suspense Magazine’s Best Books of 2014, and a brilliant and terrifying novel for the social media age.

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

A terrifying exploration of how vulnerable we all are to stalking and manipulation, debut author Caroline Kepnes delivers a razor-sharp novel for our hyper-connected digital age. You is a compulsively readable page-turner that’s being compared to Gone Girl, American Psycho, and Stephen King’s Misery.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

Do you know that feeling when you finally get around to read that one book that all of your friends seem to love?  You know..that book that you have been saving for a special occasion because you know that you are going to love it just as much as everyone else seems to?  Then you read that book and cannot figure out what all the fuss was about.   That pretty much sums up my relationship with this book.  I didn't hate it but I definitely didn't love it either.  My four star rating is an extremely generous rating but I decided to bump this book up just for its originality. 

I loved the idea of this book.  A book about a stalker sounds pretty good right off the bat but the fact that the book is told from the stalker's point of view really took everything up a notch.  I thought that I would really like being in Joe's head but once I was there, I found out that he rambles....a lot.  Joe's rambling inner dialog is really what kept this book from being great for me.  I was really ready for him to do some horrible things just so he would stop with the rambling.
The book did have some really exciting moments.  Joe's obsession with Beck is truly frightening at times.  The way that he is able to find out so many things about her so easily is quite scary to think about.  The things that Joe is willing to do in order to make sure that he can have Beck all to himself was beyond anything that I could have imagined.  I did enjoy the second half of the book much more than I did the first largely because the more intense moments occurred in the second half of the story.

There were a lot of things that I really liked about the book and looking back at it I do remember a lot of amazing moments.  My issue with the book was that I found it very easy to put down.  It seemed to take forever for this book to get to the good stuff and I am just impatient I guess.  I didn't like any of the characters in this book.  I went in thinking that I would love Joe but I really didn't.  All of the other characters in this book annoyed me.

I did like this book and plan to read the next book in the series very soon.  I may have went into this book with unrealistic expectations.  I would recommend this book to anyone looking to spend some time in the head of a true psychopath.  

About the Author

Caroline Kepnes is the author of You and Hidden Bodies. She splits her time between Los Angeles, California and Cape Cod, Massachusetts.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. Joe was such a creep and Beck was awful but I liked reading about them. I do agree it was a book I could put down. I am excited for the next one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think that my expectations were just set way too high. It was an original idea but I didn't fall in love with this book like I thought I would.

      Delete
  2. This seemed like such an interesting read, I am not familiar with the mystery/crime genre, but the idea of being inside a stalker's mind really seemed appealing. It's rather disappointing when a book is not as captivating as you expected it to be, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the book nonetheless. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good bloody book. Most of most Goodreads friends gave this one five stars and couldn't get enough of it. I thought I would fall in love with it. It was good but not as good as I had hoped it would be.

      Delete
  3. I want to read this one, but I had no idea it was from the stalker's POV. Maybe his rambling is part of his psychopathic tendencies. I will have to see of my library has this available. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rambling was part of his character. We all ramble in our head to some degree. It is definitely a different kind of book and I love that it was from the stalker's point of view.

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about going into a book with high expectations. That's what I was like with The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry. It was a great story but I expected it to be more mind blowing then it was. This sounds interesting but I'm not sure I want to spend that much time in the head of a crazed killer so it may not be for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so sure that I would love this book that I saved it to read on Christmas week. Such a let down when a book that you thought would be great doesn't quite live up to your expectations.

      Delete
  5. It took me a minute, but now I remember this one. I saw several fantastic reviews on it and it looked good. I think just seeing the blurb and the reviews had me extremely conscious of my habits for some time. :) I think it's on my wish list still. I'm with you- story told from stalker POV sounds fab.

    But, I can see why the rambling would make you lose interest. I would expect more 'stalking'. Glad the second half picked up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hopeful that I will enjoy the second book, Hidden Bodies, a little more. I think that my expectations will be a little more realistic.

      Delete
  6. It happened to me recently with The girl on a train, "le" buzz ! I jumped on it at the library and well, really enjoyed it but not as much as I expected. I'm not crazy about Colleen Hoover neither. On the other hand, I delayed reading Throne of glass because everybody talked about it but completely adored it ! I heard a lot about You too, so I'm glad to have your opinion, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the girl on a train or anything by Colleen Hoover. I do like to read books early before there is a lot of buzz about them. Going into a book blindly works best for me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...