Thursday, January 28, 2016

Review - Three Promises by Lily Everett @Lily_Everett @StMartinsPress

Three Promises by Lily Everett
Series: The Billionaire Bachelors
St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: February 2, 2016

They're single, they're rich, and now these billionaire bachelors are heading to Sanctuary Island, where love awaits.

Leo, Zane, and Cooper made a pact to stay bachelors and enjoy the single life forever, and when they receive an invitation to their friend Miles' wedding, they head down to Sanctuary Island determined to talk some sense into the errant groom before he makes a life-changing mistake. But Miles knows his own mind, and he makes a vow of his own: before he walks down the aisle, he'll have Leo, Zane, and Cooper changing their tune about matrimony. Because Miles knows, better than anyone, that all it takes is a little Sanctuary Island magic to turn romantic cynics into true believers.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her

I really enjoyed reading Lily Everett's Billionaire Bachelors novellas so when I was offered an early copy of the fourth book in the series, I grabbed it right away.  When I actually started to read this book, I figured out right away that this was not a new book at all.  This book is really just an omnibus of the three novellas that I read two years ago with an added epilogue.  I jumped ahead to the epilogue and didn't find it to be worthwhile at all.

If you haven't read the novellas, they are really nice stories that can each be read in a couple of hours and I would recommend this book.  I remember reading each of them while I sat with my mother during her chemotherapy treatments and they were a nice way to pass the time.  If you have read the novellas, you will want to skip this one because there isn't really anything new that adds anything to the story. 

My original reviews of the individual novellas:

The Fireside Inn - The Billionaire Bachelors #1
I enjoyed this novella and would rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars. The novella was well written and the story was interesting but I found myself wanting more depth in several areas.

At the opening of the story, we meet Miles, Leo and a couple of their wealthy friends. Miles is getting married and make a bet with his Billionaire friends that if they come to Sanctuary Island to help him get ready for his wedding that they will also fall in love. They agree and go to the Island.

Leo has been given the task of performing a reading at the wedding. Leo often sounds poetic so this should be good fit for him. He decided to go to the local library where he meets Serena, the librarian. Leo convinces Serena to help him with the reading and also tells her that he plans to seduce her. They grow close while working on Leo's assignment.

This novella had several areas that I would have liked to see a bit more. I think a more complete back story into Leo's past would have developed his character quite well. The same really applies to Serena. The main conflict between this two characters is based upon their past so understanding exactly what they had gone through and what they had felt would have added to the plot. I also would have liked to see what each character was doing during the time between the conflict and the wedding. This just seemed like the ideal time for one of the central characters to reach out to the other.

Even though I would have liked to see more in some areas of the novella, I did thoroughly enjoy the story. I really liked the author's style of writing and plan to look for one of her full length books which may give me that "more" that I seem to want.

Bonfire Beach - The Billionaire Bachelors #2
I found this book to be simply charming. This was a definite solid 4 out of 5 star read. It was short enough to read in one sitting and told the story of Zane and Felicity quite well.

This is the second novella in The Billionaire Bachelors trilogy. I enjoyed this story more than the first in the series, The Fireside Inn. The first two novellas can be read as stand alone stories. There are a few overlapping characters and scenes but nothing that would prevent the reader from enjoying these stories independent of each other.

Zane is on Sanctuary Island to help his friend, Miles prepare for his wedding. Miles has asked Zane to help with the planning of the wedding. Felicity has been hired as the wedding planner for the wedding. Zane and Felicity disagree on almost every aspect of the wedding and reception at the beginning of the story, including the location for the reception. Zane encourages Felicity to have fun with the planning of the wedding and in turn they have fun with each other.

Zane and Felicity both have emotional scars from their childhood. I love that both of the characters are upfront with their past. They have a lot of chemistry as a couple as they learn to compromise and trust each other.

This novella delivers the Happily Ever After that most romance readers are looking for. I would recommend this story to anyone who loves a charming romance. I look forward to the third installment in this trilogy and other future works by Lily Everett.

Lantern Lake - The Billionaire Bachelors #3
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella. I would rate this story a solid 4 out of 5 stars. This is the third book in the Billionaire Bachelors trilogy. I was lucky enough to have the chance to read all of the books in the trilogy in order but I each novella could be read as a stand alone. The novellas do share several characters and a bet that ties everything together but the focus of the each story is the individual romance.

This story picks up at the wedding of Miles and Greta. Miles has bet 3 of his billionaire friends that if they came to Sanctuary Island to help him get ready for the wedding they will fall in love.....or they can have his luxury helicopter. Cooper is jolted when he spots his former love, Vivian at the wedding. Vivian broke Cooper's heart 10 years ago. Cooper decides on the spot to punish Vivian by seducing her and then leaving as she left him so many years ago.

Cooper soon realizes that he does not want to leave quite so soon. Cooper and Vivian decide to work on the cabin she has recently purchased in a business deal. After spending more time together, Cooper learns that he did know everything that happened to cause Vivian to leave so many years ago. Vivian has been through a lot in their years apart and she eventually shares everything that has brought her to the place in life she is currently in. The book does end with a Happily Ever After ending that most romance readers enjoy.

I would definitely recommend this book to any reader that enjoys romance. It is a short novella and can easily be read in a couple of hours. I plan to look for future works by Lily Everett.

My Final Thoughts
I do think that the way that this book is being presented is very misleading.  It was marked as book #4 in the series on Goodreads and at every retailer that I checked.  The description does not mention anything about this being a repackaging of works that were published two years ago.  I really do wish that publishers would be very clear any time a new publication is simply a re-issue of previously published material.  I really feel bad for any fans of Lily Everett that purchase this book only to find that it contains material that they have already read and purchased. 

I received an advance reader edition of this book from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Lily Everett grew up in a small town in central Virginia, in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Although she’s lived many other places since, from college in Philadelphia to her first publishing job in New York City and her current home in Austin, Texas, she never forgot the beauty and warmth of her little hometown. She is thrilled to be writing the Sanctuary Island series full time because it allows her to combine her longstanding love of romance with the memories of her childhood home.

Lily’s alter ego is Louisa Edwards. Under that name, she is the author of the Recipe for Love series, sexy contemporary romances with hot chef heroes set in the high-stakes, fast-paced world of professional restaurants.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

16 comments:

  1. Well that stinks. I mean I would have thought it was a new book if marked #4 and not just an added epilogue. I will have to check out the original novellas though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really disappointed. Nothing about the description of this book made me think it was just the same novellas that I read 2 years ago. If you haven't read the novellas, then this book may be the way to go.

      Delete
  2. I've really enjoyed the Lily Everett book I've read and was immediately excited to see this one. How frustrating that this is just a repackage of the earlier novellas. I would be so upset if I had read all 3 novellas and then got this one thinking it was a whole new book. It definitely sounds misleading. The stories themselves look really fun and I'll have to pick this one up because I haven't read the novellas but that was definitely not cool on the publisher's side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy Lily Everett's work. When I was offered this book, I looked at the description and didn't see anything that made me believe it was the same stories that I had already read. I'm all for re-reads but only when I mean to do it!

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of the series, but judging from your enthusiasm and the cover, I do feel intrigued! Plus, I'm a sucker for a series like this, definitely will add them to my TBR. I'm sorry that the "new book" wasn't new at all, but glad that you had fun with the rest of the series. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The novellas were good short reads. I found each of them to be perfect when I had a couple of hours to kill. I do think that publishers need to make it clear when book does not contain new material.

      Delete
  4. I have never read this series, but from your three reviews it does look like a great series. I agree with you the publisher should note that it is not book #4, but repackaging. That is frustrating to a reader who thinks they are getting a new story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very frustrating! I do recommend the series but don't like it when books are repackaged without clearly indicating that the contents have been previously published.

      Delete
  5. That totally sucks! Honestly, I'm a little put out on your behalf. Did they think that no one would notice? Even with this saying book 4, some new readers might purchase it, right along with the first 3 novellas, which is wasting money. I have no time for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funny thing is that I read the 3 novellas for review from NetGalley then was sent a widget to review this book. Umm....Hello?!?!

      Delete
  6. oh wow...I haven't experienced that yet. But recently I have been trying to look at all the editions of a book before I get it. So I know, if its a republished version or brand new story. Always a shame when publishers mislead readers like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought books that have different covers before. I used to go to a lot of book fairs and I would see a book that sounded good but didn't look familiar. When I took it home to put it on my shelf, it would just have a new cover.

      Delete
  7. Hmmm I wonder why they did that?! Sounds like a cute series though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would probably be more likely to purchase a regular length book than a novella but they need to indicate what the book includes previously published material.

      Delete
  8. I hate it when that happens, Carole! I know that there are some publishers who are really into re-packaging and re-releasing novellas these days, and I would be so upset if I bought a book only to discover it was something I had already read - no matter if I enjoyed it or not. I would feel cheated.
    That being said, I'm glad you enjoyed these novellas! And thank you for the heads up to other readers about the re-packaging ;)
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really not out anything since it was as review copy but I was looking forward to reading a new book in the series. I am okay with repackaging as long as the contents of the book are clearly indicated.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...