Thursday, January 7, 2016

#Review - The Dream Beings by Aaron J. French

The Dream Beings by Aaron J. French
Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
Publication Date: January 5, 2016
Date Read: November 9, 2015

"Born with a mysterious gift he never wanted... a gift that could mean his death."

When Jack Evens's name appears in blood at the scene of a grotesque ritualistic murder, the private investigator is drawn into a conflict that extends beyond reality, into the realm of dreams...and nightmares.

A serial killer is after him, but this is no ordinary psychopath. This killer is controlled by mysterious creatures from another realm. If he hopes to survive, Jack must finally come to terms with his psychic ability, a gift that has haunted him since he was a child.

At stake are the women the killer has targeted, Jack's own life, and something much more...something of cosmic proportions.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


I didn't like this book at all.  I am not really sure why I decided to request this one from NetGalley.  I might have been on romance overload and this cover looks just spooky enough to grab my attention.  The book had a pretty good start with prologue and I really thought that this was going to be the bloody story that I was wanting to read.  Unfortunately for me, the book went downhill from there. 

I realized pretty early on that I was not connecting with this book at all.  I seriously considered not finishing the story and moving on to the next book.  Since it was such a short book at roughly 100 pages, I decided to go ahead and finish it.  I can honestly say that I wish I had followed my gut instinct at the very beginning of the book and just stopped because I gained nothing by finishing this book except for possibly a slight headache.

The story confused me.  I am still not exactly sure what these dream beings really were (some kind of alien beings or something) and to be honest I don't think I care.  The writing seemed awkward which made it really difficult to stay focused on the story.  The characters were not well developed and I never connected with any of them.  Even during the final scene when things looked rather grim for Jack, I found that I really didn't care if things worked out for him or not.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this story to others.  This is the first time that I have read anything by Aaron J. French and I think I will skip his writing in the future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Samhain Publishing, Ltd.  via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

12 comments:

  1. I have no use for horror right now. Ugh, I can't even finish the fantasy horror series, Miss Peregrine's, because I'm a wimp. I will one day; maybe closer to October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy horror. One of my favorite books from last year was Brother. This book wasn't scary at all. It was just weird. Horror is not for everyone.

      Delete
  2. I think the worst thing that can happen when we start reading a book is if the summary is misleading! I really wouldn't expect any sort of romance in this one, so if I was ready for a real horror story, I'd be greatly disappointed if I got romance instead. I probably would have DNF'ed it...
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't a romance at all. Sorry, if I was confusing. I picked it because it wasn't romance and I sometimes get really sick of love stories. I wanted a good horror and this was definitely horror/science fiction but it wasn't good. I need to learn to be better at stopping as soon as I know that I am not enjoying a story. It rarely gets better.

      Delete
  3. Oh boo sorry this didn't work out fort you! At least it was short!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that I could have finished it if it had been any longer. As it was, I had a really hard time getting to the end.

      Delete
  4. It is always so disappointing when reading a book that turns out that way. Hope your next read is better for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess some of these duds just make the good books seem even better. I am sure that someone out there loves this book.

      Delete
  5. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one :( Hope your next read's a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read this book a couple of months ago but couldn't get myself to care enough to sit down and write the review for it. I am reading a great book right now :)

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a weird and confused book-I wouldn't have got far with this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should have followed my first instinct and just stopped as soon I realized I wasn't enjoying it. Oh well, at least it was short.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...