Monday, January 11, 2016

#Review - Coach Maddie and the Marine by Blaire Edens @BlaireEdens @entangledpub

Coach Maddie and the Marine by Blaire Edens
Entangled Publishing - Bliss
Publication Date: January 11, 2016
Date Read: December 31, 2015

After the combat death of her Marine husband, grief counselor Maddie Westerfield has thrown herself into helping other families—leaving no time for dating. Which is just fine with Maddie since falling in love again, especially with another man in uniform, is out of the question. No matter how gorgeous he is. Plus, she’s busy looking after her eight-year-old nephew for her deployed sister.

For the last eight years, Lieutenant David Sterling has lived with the guilt of losing one of his soldiers in an ambush in Afghanistan. So when the opportunity presents itself, he jumps at the chance to help the beautiful widow coach her nephew’s football team. But keeping things strictly professional between them is harder than he expected. And even though he knows a relationship with Maddie will only lead to heartbreak, he can't help falling for her.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


I am giving this one a very generous three stars.  The story was rather predictable in almost every way but nothing in the book really bothered me.  It is a short little book that I easily finished in an evening.  The book held my attention and entertained me sufficiently for a few hours. 

This was a sweet little romance with very little heat.  Maddie's husband died serving in the Marines.  Her sister is currently on a tour of duty and Maddie is busy taking care of her nephew, Andrew.  Andrew loves playing football but his team needs a coach since last year's coach is overseas.  Maddie tries to find a replacement but ends up taking the job herself...with a little help from Lieutenant David Sterling.

David is a Marine.  He happens to be the Marine in charge of the unit that Maddie's husband was a part of when he died.  David was also a star football player in college so he offers to help Maddie learn everything she needs to know to successfully coach Andrew's team.  This story does have a lot of very elementary football in the story at times.  I like football so I can't say that I learned anything new and I am not sure that the lesson really helped the story. 

David and Maddie are attracted to each other and there is a lot of chemistry between the pair.  Maddie is not interested in dating another Marine.  David feel responsibility for the death of Maddie's husband so they both try very hard to keep things platonic.  When they decide to go ahead and try thing between each other, everything moves very quickly and anything steamy happens off of the page.  I am of the opinion that less is more in many cases but if you are looking for a steamy romance you may want to look elsewhere. 

I thought that both Maddie and David were a little too perfect.  Maddie has to be the most understanding person that ever lived.  David was just too perfect to be real.  Nobody is that perfect.  The romance is really an insta-love situation but there is some chemistry between the pair.  When they have problems to solve, these perfect people do handle things very poorly but things are forgiven pretty easily. 

The writing was good enough that I found myself engaged in the story despite its predictability.  I did like both Maddie and David despite the fact that they were too good to be true.  I thought that Andrew's character added a lot to the story and really liked the fact that his feelings were an important part of the plot.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a sweet simple story.  This is the first book by Blaire Edens that I have had a chance to read but I would be open to reading some of her future works.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Entangled Publishing via NetGalley for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Blaire Edens lives in the mountains of North Carolina near the farm that’s been in her family since 1790. When she’s not plotting, she’s busy knitting, running, or listening to the Blues. Blaire loves iced tea with mint, hand-stitched quilts, and yarn stores. She refuses to eat anything that mixes chocolate and peanut butter or apple and cinnamon. She’s generally nice to her mother, tries to remember not to smack her bubble gum, and only speeds when no one’s looking.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

8 comments:

  1. I almost requested this one, but decided not to. I've had a few okay, predictable reads from some of Entangled's imprints, so that's why I have slacked up on requesting them. Glad it at least held your attention for the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to really slow down on my requesting until I can catch up. I don't know what made me click on this one. The cover and the title don't do a thing for me.

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds cute even if it is predictable. Dungeness I like that kind of a story. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I wasn't really bothered by the predictability of this book. It wasn't the perfect book but I liked it well enough.

      Delete
  3. Great review, Carole! This one sounds cute but I prefer steam in my romance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute is okay if that is what I am in the mood for. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I was excited about this book, Carole! And I am sorry it was too predictable. I want there to be some twists and turns, just like there is in real life :) Great review.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do consider 3 stars to be a good rating. It wasn't a stand out novel but I did find it entertaining enough.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...