Wednesday, January 6, 2016

#Review - Breaking Wild by Diane Les Becquets @dlesbecquets @BerkleyNAL @FirstToRead

Breaking Wild by Diane Les Becquets
Penguin Group - Berkley
Publication Date: February 9, 2016
Date Read: January 1, 2016

In captivating prose, Diane Les Becquets tells the story of one woman missing in the Colorado wilderness and another bent on discovering the missing woman’s whereabouts, in an unforgettably moving and thrilling literary debut.

It is the last weekend of the season for Amy Raye Latour to get away. Driven to spend days alone in the wilderness, Amy Raye, mother of two, is compelled by the quiet and the rush of nature. But this time, her venture into a remote area presents a different set of dangers than Amy Raye has planned for and she finds herself on the verge of the precarious edge that she’s flirted with her entire life.

When Amy Raye doesn’t return to camp, ranger Pru Hathaway and her dog respond to the missing person’s call. After an unexpected snowfall and few leads, the operation turns into a search and recovery. Pru, though, is not resigned to that. The more she learns about the woman for whom she is searching, and about Amy Raye’s past, the more she suspects that Amy Raye might yet be alive. Pru’s own search becomes an obsession for a woman whose life is just as mysterious as the clues she has left behind.

As the novel follows Amy Raye and Pru in alternating threads, Breaking Wild assumes the white-knuckled pace of a thriller laying bare Amy Raye’s ultimate reckoning with the secrets of her life, and Pru’s dogged pursuit of the woman who, against all odds, she believes she can find.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23014597-what-doesn-t-kill-her


I thought that this was a great book.  I love a good survival story so the blurb really caught my attention.  This book was most certainly a survival story but it was so much more than that.  The characters made this story come alive.  I kept the pages turning because I had to know what was going to happen next.  I was glued to the book from the time I started reading until I had reached the last page.

This book is told from two alternating points of view.  Amy Raye is on a hunting trip with a couple of friends.  She is hoping to get an elk before the trip is over so she goes out early in the morning to do just that.  Pru is a ranger in the area and spends a lot of her days checking on hunters and helping with search and rescue when needed.  Each of these woman has their own story to tell and each voice was distinctive and equally interesting.  So many times when a book is written in alternating point of views, I find that I really prefer one of the perspectives much more than the other.  Not so with this book.  I felt the need to learn everything about each of these women.

The descriptions in the book were excellent and really pulled me into the story.  I felt that I was right there with Amy Raye when she was hunting the elk.   I have never been to Colorado wilderness but I felt like I was there while reading this book.  The terrain would have been very difficult to find someone who is lost and even harder to find your way out.  The determination of both Pru and Amy Raye really showed on the page.  Amy Raye refused to give up and did some things I couldn't imagine in her quest to survive. Pru wouldn't stop looking and felt the need to find out what had happened to Amy Raye.

The writing in this book was excellent.  I absolutely loved how the two women's back stories were woven into the book.  I grew to understand each of them a little better with every chapter.  The things in both of their lives that had led them to be in that Colorado wilderness together were always interesting and at times heartbreaking.  The pacing of the book was nearly perfect.  There were no slow points in the book.  Everything we need to know was shared at precisely the perfect time to keep my interest peaked.

I would highly recommend this book to others.  This is the first time that I have read anything by Diane Les Becquets but I definitely plan read more of her work.  

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Penguin Group - Berkley via First to Read for the purpose of providing an honest review.

About the Author

Photographer | Nathaniel Boesch
Diane Les Becquets is a Professor of English and a faculty member at Southern New Hampshire University’s MFA Program in Fiction and Nonfiction. In addition to teaching creative writing, she has worked as a medical journalist; an archaeology assistant; a marketing consultant; a sand and gravel dispatcher; a copywriter; and a lifeguard, and is also an avid outdoorswoman. A native of Nashville, she spent almost fourteen years living in a small Colorado ranching town before moving to New Hampshire.

Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

14 comments:

  1. I will have to keep my eye on this one. I'll be reading some new releases this year, but not many. Glad you love this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one just completely sucked me into the story. It was just so much more than I would have expected. I really did enjoy reading this one.

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good. I enjoy missing persons stories even when they're not crime related as I love the aspect of a search. The survival element sounds interesting and I love that you get both sides. I'll definitely have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a captivating read for me. I hope that you get a chance to read this one, Katherine. I would love to know your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. Ooh that blurb is really intriguing! Now I want to find out what happened to Amy as well as learn more about her and Pru's background. Glad you enjoyed it. I like that the descriptions and writing were great. Makes me want to read it even more. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shane! I couldn't read fast enough because I just had to know what would happen to Amy Raye. It was really a wonderful story.

      Delete
  4. This sounds great!! I like survival type stories as well and enjoy multiple POVs. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dual POVs really added to this story and I really liked both perspectives. Everything worked really well for me in this book.

      Delete
  5. Great review! Sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a story that really kept me guessing. I simply didn't want to put it down.

      Delete
  6. You got me with the fact that you got to know the characters better and better with each chapter, and that you wanted to know everything about these two women. Great review, Carole!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in the story were absolutely amazing. They both were incredibly complex and really brought everything to life. Thanks, Lexxie!

      Delete
  7. Nice to see a survival book with switching POV that involves two women for a change. Sounds like you really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice that both the hunter and the person looking for her were women. It worked well. I did really like this one.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...