Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 - Looking Forward


Happy New Year to all of my wonderful readers!

I thought I would take a moment to set a few goals and make some plans for the new year.


This Blog
One of the biggest changes that I am planning for 2016 on this blog is that I am going to stop participating in so many blog tours and having such a large number of promotional posts.  My daughter pointed out to me that I really had a romance blog because I rarely post anything else.  I really enjoy reading quite a variety of books and really want my tastes to show a bit more on the blog.  I will still participate in tours for books that I can't wait to get my hands on but I am definitely scaling things back a bit.

I thought this year would be a great year to start participating in some weekly memes on the blog so keep an eye out for that this year.

Books
I do have a few reading goals this year.  I have seriously considered participating in one of the reading challenges out there in the blogosphere but I have decided to just try to stick with my own set of goals this year.  I will set my reading goal on Goodreads at 150 books this year.  I exceeded that number in 2015 and hope to be able to do it again in 2016.

My main reading goal is to finally catch up on my ARC pile.  In order to do that I really need to stop requesting so many books.  I can't promise that I will stop but I will really try to cut way back on requests this year.  I currently have 79 books to read for NetGalley (Feedback Ratio - 72%), 7 for Edelweiss, 1 for First to Read, 1 for Blogging for Books, 2 from giveaways on LibraryThing, and 10 for Goodreads giveaways.  That's 100 books that I need to read right there!!  I will plan to post updates on my progress every month to keep myself focused.

Hopefully I can get a chance to read some of the books that I have purchased in the past the year as well.

Books being released in 2016 that I can't wait to read:



Plus anything with Ilona Andrews on the cover!

My Life
I am really just looking forward to more of the same.  I am so glad to be in a place in my life where I am really quite happy with how things are.  I will continue to work full time even though I would love to stay home to read and play with my dogs all day long.  My youngest daughter will turn 16 and hopefully get her license so she can drive herself to some of her activities which will free up a lot of time for me.  My oldest daughter will turn 21 in just a couple of days so they are both having milestone birthdays this year.  We aren't planning any trips this year at this point but I'm not someone who plans things way in advance so that could change.   I'm just hoping that I get a chance to smile, laugh, and be with my friends and family. 

I hope that all of my readers have a wonderful 2016!  

24 comments:

  1. I plan to start the Mercy Thompson and another series this year. I'm going to catch up on the Red Rising series as well. I really enjoyed Red Rising. I'm starting my GR goal at 100 for now, but I may up it by the time Summer gets here. Lots to look forward to this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Mercy Thompson series. There is another series, Alpha & Omega, set in the same world that is equally amazing. I liked Red Rising a lot but I loved Golden Son even though it kind of left me hanging. I can't wait to see what happens next. If it looks like I won't make the 150 goal, I may scale it back but I don't think it should be a problem.

      Delete
  2. I just cannot wait to get my hands on Fire Touched and Morning Star! I love both series, and really, really look forward to these.
    Happy, healthy 2016, Carole.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to get an ARC for Gone Again. I have my fingers crossed that maybe I will be lucky enough to get early copies of some of the other books on this list. I just can't wait to read them. Thanks, Lexxie! I hope you have a fabulous 2016!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ! I hope that the fact that I have listed my goal in a public forum will help me be a little more responsible. I hope that you have a fantastic 2016!

      Delete
  4. I need to get my ARC pile down too! Good luck with that and your other goals. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed by how quickly my ARC pile seemed to get out of control. I was doing really good and even had the 80% badge and then I went on a requesting streak. Oh well, hopefully 2016 will be the year that I finally get it under control. Happy 2016 to you!

      Delete
  5. I want to read Harlan Coben this year. For all the mysteries I've read it's strange that I've never read him! I'm hoping to catch up on my ARCs as well. I haven't requested nearly as many recently and I'm hoping that will give me some space to go back and read those from 2015 and 2014. And I need to make some progress in the stack of actual books I have that are taking over! Good luck with your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try to read Harlan Coben. I just love his books. I am pretty sure that I still have a few ARCs hanging on from 2013. I am ready to tackle the pile this year and hopefully never let it get out of control again. Thanks, Katherine!

      Delete
  6. Yay! Hope you have a great time with the memes too! Looking forward to that in 2016 ;)

    And Happy Birthday to both your daughters in advance! Stay happy and keep reading! Have a great 2016 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to joining in on some of memes. I may not do it every week but I am at least going to give it a shot. I still can't believe that my kids are getting to be so grown - time really does fly. Happy 2016 to you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Carole! My oh my you have a LOT of books to read from Netgalley! I have no doubt that you will reach your goal this year! BTW, great job at keeping your feedback ratio in the %70 range. Mine is currently 65%. :(
    I plan on requesting a lot less books at a time this year.
    Ever since I fell back in love with reading in 2008 I have seen Patricia Briggs books everywhere! I do plan on completing a few series this year, maybe I will start one of her books once I finish a series! Great post and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right...I do have a lot of books to review for NetGalley! My main problem is that I can't seem to stop requesting more books. I am going to seriously try to get things under control. I have read so many NetGalley books that it is hard to get that percentage to move at all.

      You should definitely try to read Patricia Briggs. I just love the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series. I hope you have a great 2016!

      Delete
  8. You have some excellent goals, good luck! I know you said you aren't doing any challenges this year but you might consider (if you haven't already), the Edelweiss & NetGalley reading challenge whose focus is catching up on ARCs or both sites and bringing up your ratios.

    I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Fire Touched and it was good!

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so jealous that you were able to get an ARC of Fire Touched! I did request it so it is possible that I will get a chance to read it early. I may take a look at that challenge. Happy New Year, Bea!

      Delete
  9. I need to thin out my ARC pile too! Good Luck with that!!! Have you signed up for the Blogger Shame Review Challenge hosted by Herding Cats & Burning Soup? Might be a way to encourage you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hard part is slowing down on my requests so that I can catch up. I will have to look at that challenge. Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Those are all great goals. And omg, yes, I can't wait for Morning Star. Oh boy, 16 and 21!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been ready for Morning Star ever since I read the final page of Golden Son. I need to know what happens!

      Delete
  11. Amazing goals. It sounds like it will be a busy year. Good luck! Karan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be a busy year but I am ready for the challenge! Thanks, Karan!

      Delete
  12. All sound like great goals. I stopped doing tours for the most part and never regretted it. I hear ya on catching up on books. I'm doing the Blogger Shame Challenge and really excited about knocking off those books :D Good luck with all of your goals this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed doing the tours and it worked really well for me for quite a while but I don't think that my blog was really reflecting my personal tastes. It could also be very stressful when I wouldn't receive the materials until the last minute. I am all about catching up in 2016!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...