Thursday, December 17, 2015

#Review - Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews @ilona_andrews #katedaniels #greywolf

Magic Stars by Ilona Andrews
Series: Grey Wolf #1, Kate Daniels #8.5
NYLA
Publication Date:  December 8, 2015
Date Read: December 10, 2015

From award-winning author, Ilona Andrews, an original novella, set in the New York Times #1 bestselling Kate Daniels World and featuring fan-favorites, Derek, and Curran and Kate’s very independent ward, Julie.

Scarred, solitary Derek Gaunt has separated from his Pack, and is truly a lone wolf. With no family he answers to no one; but is fiercely loyal to a chosen few. So, when several of those close to him are murdered, he’ll stop at nothing to hunt their killer through the magic-drenched streets of Atlanta.

Never one to be left on the sidelines, equally determined—some might say stubborn—Julie Lennart-Olsen soon joins in his pursuit; and what began as revenge turns into a race to save the city. Their search pits them against powers they never imagined and magic so old, it predates history. It may cost Derek his life, but there are things for which even he would risk everything.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17792919-magic-bites

  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes



When I saw that there was a new novella being released in the Kate Daniels Series, it was an absolute given that I would have to read it. I am always ready for more Kate and more Curran. Then I took another look at this book and found out that this one isn't focused on Kate or Curran and instead features Derek and Julie and I got even more excited. As soon as I saw some of my friends on Goodreads posting that it was available to purchase on Amazon, I couldn't click the Buy Now button fast enough. I put everything else aside to read this just as soon as I got the chance and I absolutely loved it.

This novella is a part of the Kate Daniels series and you really do need to read this series in order. I have always liked Derek in this series. He is just an awesome character that has been through a lot but always seems to bounce back better than before. I really like just about everything there is to like about Derek and the growth of his character during the series. I have to admit that I am not as big a fan of Julie. I don't actively dislike her but I wouldn't miss her if she were suddenly absent from the series. That is until this novella. This Julie is pretty kick ass and I kind of love her a little now.

I would also say that this is a novella that you will not want to skip if you are a fan of the series. There is a lot of stuff going on in the short piece that will have a huge impact in the overall story. We seriously learn a lot in this one. I am really excited about the things that happen in this novella. Getting to see this world from another perspective was very eye opening as well. Some of the things that I thought that Julie was clueless about were just wrong. Julie is a whole lot smarter than I have ever given her credit for.

Another thing about this novella that is really exciting for me is the fact that it is a part of the Grey Wolf series as well. I can only assume that this means that there will be more stories that feature Derek and I can barely wait. I would highly recommend this one to all fans of the Kate Daniels series. If you have yet to read this series, what is holding you back? Stop what you are doing and find a copy of Magic Bites right now and start reading. It is so worth it. I will continue to read anything written by Ilona Andrews that I can get my hands on.



Book #1 - Magic Bites
Book #2 - Magic Burns
Book #3 - Magic Strickes
Book #4 - Magic Bleeds
Book #5 - Magic Slays
Book #6 - Magic Rises
Book #7 - Magic Breaks 
Book #8 - Magic Shifts
Click the links above to read my other review of this series!
 
About the Author

Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)

Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.

They have co-authored two NYT and USAT bestselling series, the urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge and working on the next volumes for both.


Author Links: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter

3 comments:

  1. *Screams!!!!* I'm gonna start book 5 this weekend and probably book 6 if I read like I did last weekend. I'm so excited to keep going with this series and I'm loving the heck out of it. More reviews for book 4 and Curran's POV tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could experience this series for the first time again! I just love everything about it. Their writing is so smart and the world that they have created is captivating. Plus..Curran. I am head over heals for that man/lion.

      Delete
  2. I kind of just skimmed your review, Carole, as I have this on my kindle. And I prefer being completely surprised when I read a book. I can't wait to get to it, and I'm so happy you enjoyed it!!
    Have a fantastic weekend and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...